AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   JK towing (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154120)

yumpet 21-10-2018 05:23 PM

JK towing

Hey guys, I looked at a JK on the weekend and I like it and so did the missus and kids but I'm just curious how the tow? I looked at the petrol one but it only has a 2 ton towing limit. I tore a lifestyle breakaway camper that is about 1600-1700kg loaded, anyone tow that suit of weight or more with a petrol JK?

SnakeDoctor 21-10-2018 06:19 PM

Wouldn't do it personally on a 3.8.

The diesel and or 3.6 would be fine as long as your weights are accurate and you don't mind airbags or stiffer springs in the rear.

My camper trailer is about 1200kgs and I wouldn't want to tow anymore weight, (3.6 auto with 35 inch tyres).

JusyApples 21-10-2018 06:27 PM

Recently spent 2 weeks towing a jayco camper with my crd, the ass end sagged a bit next time I'd use a mchitch weight distribution hitch. But the crd towed it no problems

purplexj 21-10-2018 08:21 PM

I had a 3.6 JKU and towed a jayco swan. Easily had enough power however it was a manual and the tall first gear and hill starts were woefully painful, with a nice ambient aroma to enhance the feeling. I would head towards an auto if you really want a JK. Alternatively a diesel Grand Cherokee and you will forget that you have attached a jayco swan behind you, just won't be in the cool kids club anymore.

Sent from my SM-T360 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Nanook 22-10-2018 08:49 AM

You don't mention what motor you are looking at.

I totally agree with SnakeDoctor, I wouldn't want to be towing that kind of weight with the 3.8L. It would do it but it would be working pretty hard at the slightest hill.

I currently tow around a 1000kg camper with my 3.8L and would be comfortable at the 1200kg mark but no more.

The 3.6L wouldn't have an issue though with the kind of weight you are talking about.

MRGC 22-10-2018 10:13 AM

Card would be fine if stock suspension, fit airbags and it would sit fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OzRick25 22-10-2018 06:14 PM

I tow a 2200kg boat and trailer occasionally in an 07 3.8l Unlimited Rubicon manual. It's certainly not a land cruiser or f250 but with the lower diff ratios it handles that fine, don't think I'd like to try it with 3.21 diffs though