AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheres the best spots to drive? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Katoomba, Lithgow, Zig Zag (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119643)

Tiddy 10-10-2012 09:37 PM

Katoomba, Lithgow, Zig Zag

Hi all

My wife & I are going up the Katoomba/Lithgow this wekend. I heard of places up that way..Lost City, Newnes SF etc, but was wondering what would be good places to.

We have a WG Grand Cherokee, with lift & MT's ATZ's..no lockers or stuff like that. So based on that, what are the recommendations.

If anyone GPS co-ords that would be fantastic too.

Thankyou

tiddy

axiom 10-10-2012 09:44 PM

Tiddy, i was up there a few weeks ago, depending on clearance its always good fun to have a crack at the powerlines track. But other than that. Turn off at the zig zag railway station. Head right as you turn off and you start to go round some turns. On your left there are a couple interesting climbs, which follow the direction of the main road. If you continue on the main road you come to a T- intersection. Right is the main area and keep heading in that direction for the glow worm tunnels, and some track around there, rather mild. Left @ that T- intersection takes you down the hill with some good tracks if you want to go exploring.

Unfortunatly i dont have GPS Co-ordinates(my GPS isnt that good). But i do carry one so that i know where the road heads and where i am in relation to how to get out.

Keep an eye open, there are always plenty of bikes some doing stupid stuff others behaving.

KKnut 10-10-2012 11:25 PM

I think Axiom may be referring to Beecroft track?

After you do the glow worms, head back south towards Lithgow and turn right onto Beecroft track, I think this is opposite the picnic area in the pine forest. Either follow this all the way to Wolgan road or turn onto Blackfellows hand track, which is possibly more impressive as that track snakes down through a rocky gorge to Wolgan road. Make sure to take the camera.

Here's another one that the locals know but I haven't come across anyone else recommending....while you're in northern parts of Lithgow, follow Bells Road to the very end. You'll cross a few easy fords and then have to park. Go explore on foot a little further ahead, it's a magic place.

There are many treasures within 100 klms of this area and I'm looking forward to the next gem to discover. Have fun and let us know your thoughts on these recommendations.

Tiddy 11-10-2012 08:27 PM

Thank you both very much...certainly have a few options now. I just hope it doesn't rain too much in the meantime.

tiddy

Wolfe 11-10-2012 08:29 PM

We just ran Jambo up there, you could've had a guided tour through the best bits.

axiom 11-10-2012 10:13 PM

Unfortunately, i was unable to make it to Jambo Wolfe even though i was only 35 mins away.... Care to share some of these best bits???

Richo 12-10-2012 12:03 AM

I recently went through Old Bells Line Of Road...( think that's what it was called). Wow, not overly difficult, but interesting.