AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Smart Alternators (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150171)

RLT 03-01-2018 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeJK (Post 1621619)
No battery temp sensor on CDR. There is one inside the TIPM (I call it ECU). But Chrysler software is dodgy and commands the alternator (via LIN bus) to go over 15.0V on hot days (noted 15.8V on mine). That's exactly what shortens the life of D31A to ridicules max 3 years. When I unplugged it from the ECU, it went to default 14.3 that's exactly midpoint of D31A charging range 13.6 to 15.0.

Got 7+ years use out of original US manufactured Optima on my 2007 built (2009 registered) CRD (stood 2 years in Chrysler's car park before it was sold)
It doesn't get too hot over here in UK
Guess that makes the difference.
Replaced it with another of Mexico manufacture (hope it lasts as long)

rubberducky 03-01-2018 06:42 PM

Sorry to hijack here (although could be what the original poster was getting at) but for the purposes of a CTEK D250SA (or similar DC-DC Charger), does any wiring need to be done to account for a “smart alternator”? I noticed my CTEK has a couple of wires that seem to be only for cars with smart alternators. I’m gathering from this thread that the alternator itself isn’t actually very smart but there is some smart things going on behind the scenes

Should add I have a 2014 3.6 JKU

EugeJK 03-01-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samft (Post 1626908)
Hey Guys

2010 CRD here

I have 2 optimas linked up in a dual battery system.

Is there a way to set the alternator to the 14.3 volts default output by unplugging something?

I have relocated both batteries to the rear of the Jeep so I'm not worried about temps.

I usually see 13.9v - 14.2v on my scangauge and would like a bit more juice

EugeJK - I read your post, where is the connector that you unplugged?

It's on the alternator, 3-pin connector with 1 active wire. Mine defaulted to 14.2-14.3V once I disconnected it. But you'll get battery warning light as the ECM senses it no more.

samft 03-01-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeJK (Post 1626979)
It's on the alternator, 3-pin connector with 1 active wire. Mine defaulted to 14.2-14.3V once I disconnected it. But you'll get battery warning light as the ECM senses it no more.

Cheers.

Have you been running around like that ever since? or have you connected it again now?

Thol 04-01-2018 12:32 PM

Re
Quote:

Sorry to hijack here (although could be what the original poster was getting at) but for the purposes of a CTEK D250SA (or similar DC-DC Charger), does any wiring need to be done to account for a “smart alternator”? I noticed my CTEK has a couple of wires that seem to be only for cars with smart alternators. I’m gathering from this thread that the alternator itself isn’t actually very smart but there is some smart things going on behind the scenes

Should add I have a 2014 3.6 JKU

I have a ctek250S and it needs nothing extra. I think it stops taking power when main battery drops below 12.5v. Your SA version is probably similar as it's just got the added benefit of higher output voltage for AGM. I simply use the existing rear socket wiring to run the ctek in the rear. Fuse selected for always on. Been running since 2012.
JKU 3.6L 2012

EugeJK 04-01-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samft (Post 1626983)
Cheers.

Have you been running around like that ever since? or have you connected it again now?

No, I didn't connect it back and not going to. On hot days I used to smell the battery gassing as it was being overcharged. That's why they lasted only 2.5-3 years max.

Now all is OK, voltage is dead steady 14.25-14.35 independent of ambient.

Chrysler ECU software in mine /MY08/ is crooked re charging voltage of ambient. I took it to the dealer, they could re-flush nothing to fix it.

samft 04-01-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeJK (Post 1627032)
Yes, I didn't connect it back and not going to. On hot days I used to smell the battery gassing as it was being overcharged. That's why they lasted only 2.5-3 years max.

Chrysler ECU software in mine /MY08/ is crooked re charging voltage of ambient. I took it to the dealer, they could re-flush nothing to fix it.

thanks mate

If it's not asking too much, do you reckon you could take a pic of the unplugged connector?

samft 05-01-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeJK (Post 1627032)
No, I didn't connect it back and not going to. On hot days I used to smell the battery gassing as it was being overcharged. That's why they lasted only 2.5-3 years max.

is it this connector?
https://i.imgur.com/CDmV4IJ.jpg