AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   cracks in jeep body from towing (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65531)

signwilson 26-01-2007 02:10 PM

cracks in jeep body from towing

:cry: I have a two year old jeep grand cheerokee laredo and it has done 40,000 klms 20,000 of which it has been towing my van which is well within its specifications and it is seperating the chassis rails has anybody else had this problem

bobcatrowe 26-01-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by signwilson
:cry: I have a two year old jeep grand cheerokee laredo and it has done 40,000 klms 20,000 of which it has been towing my van which is well within its specifications and it is seperating the chassis rails has anybody else had this problem

correct me if im wrong but they dont have a chassis last time i looked,you might have to be more specific ,like where abouts on the unibody.

signwilson 26-01-2007 03:45 PM

sorry calling the box channels on the subframe for the tow bar chassis rails is a bad habit of mine you can hear them cracking every time the caravan hits undulations in the road

bobcatrowe 26-01-2007 05:14 PM

i tow a fair bit with mine ,mainly bike trailers and a jayco camper trailer but dont have any cracks( touch wood),is it a genuine jeep/hayman reece setup?

signwilson 26-01-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcatrowe
i tow a fair bit with mine ,mainly bike trailers and a jayco camper trailer but dont have any cracks( touch wood),is it a genuine jeep/hayman reece setup?

It does have a jeep hayman reece setup i tow a 20ft full van compass this is the only broblem I have had but I know of one other Jeep with the same problem but they did not put the spacer blocks in place when it was fitted thus causing to much flex :hammer:

signwilson 26-01-2007 05:52 PM

chassis cracks jeep

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO, 2005 - Towing capacity (18/12/2006) *TOWING* *FEEDBACK WANTED*

"Our Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2005 fitted with factory Hayman Reese tow hitch failed while towing a 1.3 tonne camper trailer. The tow hitch pulled through the chassis of the Jeep - leaving 2 big holes in the chassis and cracks around the other connection points. The Jeep is officially rated to tow 3.5 tonne so we were well within stated capacity.
The chassis of the Jeep is very thin metal and the vehicle is probably over rated. We have never towed anything else and have not even taken the Jeep and trailer off road. It appears that driving over corrugated dirt road has caused the problem.
Jeep refuse to do the repair under warranty. This is despite our tracking down and speaking with 3 other Jeep owners who had the same problem which was repaired under warranty. The vehicle has a safety problem when towing and if the tow bar gives way on a major highway it would undoubtedly caused a major accident with horrendous consequences. Jeep hold the line that our camper trailer could not have caused the damage caused -but it has! Has anyone else had this problem?
The Jeep has a monocoque chassis which appears to be over rated for towing on dirt roads. We have photos of the damage if anyone is interested." M Buchan, Townsville QLD

I found this very interesting anybody else know of this :toilet:

Larry 26-01-2007 06:10 PM

id be very interested to see these photos.