AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Why hardly any XJs wrecking? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153587)

XJClassic 09-08-2018 01:49 PM

Why hardly any XJs wrecking?

I've done a quick calculation looking at new sales numbers and there were at least 5000 new f/lift XJ Cherokees sold in Aus.

I'm hunting for some bits and pieces for my MY01 Classic and there's hardly anything out there.

Eg the front bar has been bent, a new pass side bar end cap would sort it out , but ideally a straight bar centre would be great too.

There's just nothing out there 2nd hand... Gumtree, eBay, nothing. I'll probably grab a new one...

Yes, there are generally a few used XJ bits and pieces for sale but nothing like what I thought there would be.

Maybe they're just getting too old now? It's 21 years since the XJ facelift was launched. I remember when I had my last Classic 4-5 years ago it was a bit easier to get parts...

HamishW96 09-08-2018 04:09 PM

I find cars from the 12-17yo mark are always the most wrecked. At 20 years they become hard as to find.... most wreckers dont bother as a lot of people junk their cars at that age instead of fixing them. In melbourne, pick a part and diy autoparts have a few XJ's and ZJ's though as they are part of their target audience I guess

eksjay 09-08-2018 05:41 PM

The cars still running will probably keep running for ever....

Plenty of new stuff you can get from Steeler/Mopar Parts, ebay, Quadratec, etc.

HamishW96 09-08-2018 05:59 PM

Talking of new parts, anyone know where to get NEW crossbar button parts? Like not the crossbar but the sliding part that mounts to the roof...

aaronm 09-08-2018 11:49 PM

xj classic,
if you want to travel to Winmalee, you can have the centre bar of my 2001 xj classic. Its been replaced by a f off bulbar. :)
regards aaron

LuluBelle 10-08-2018 05:13 PM

you often see a few being wrecked on ebay by Australia wide wreckers also on gumtree a few months ago there were a few nudge bars most had no brackets though .....
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Gojeep 10-08-2018 07:53 PM

I'm getting ready to sell my prized XJ after inheriting my father KK recently. Even though everything works and has no damage etc, only just turned over 200k, thinking I might get more for it if I part it out. Things like my custom front and rear bars, steel cowl bonnet, D44 rear axle with Detroit locker, 4.56 gears and Territory disc brakes and the front axle with 4 piston Brembo's and Detroit Trutrac etc, will be worth more than it sold as is.