AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Hmmmm...anyone for BBQ? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88881)

bruggz351 17-08-2009 06:54 PM

Hmmmm...anyone for BBQ?

boiled the xj yesterday:wall:
from what i've read though, it shouldn't be a surprise. but to me it was unusual.
when purchased, i drove it approx. 300-350 klms home. no probs.
got it regoed, drivin around town, no probs. then yesterday, drove about 30 klms, mostly highway, then dirt road, no probs so far, then stop at property gate, no probs, then slow driveway and up steep hill to stop at house. BOOM...boiling it's nuts off!!
on investigation i found, no thermostat and a broken thermostat housing. looks like it been broke for a while too. looks like it's been slowly leaking along the bottom side of the housing, the bottom bolt boss was broken off. was only being held by 1/5 of the washer if it was lucky, but when i got the top bolt undone the housing vertualy fell off in me hand. hoping this is all the overheating problem is, although i'll be giving the cooling system a serious once over...

cheers

xjsteve 18-08-2009 03:24 AM

welcome to xj ownership, when i bought mine i had to drive 200kms home and i had to stop nearly 10 times to fill the radiator cause it kept boiling, sound like yours was beter than mine, my thermostat was seized so after replacing that mine only gets hot when worked hard in sand now

bruggz351 18-08-2009 09:26 PM

heh heh, yeah so i'm finding out...
hey, can someone tell me, do these jeeps have a "low water sensor" to stop the engine from starting?? reason i ask is, i can't start the bugger since i removed the thermo housing. eg. no water. i'm hoping when i put the new housing on tomorrow and fill it's belly with water, it will start. fingers crossed...
yes i'm only using water to get it home, then it will cop a decent cooling system clean and check over.....

cheers

BennyWA 18-08-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruggz351 (Post 999109)
heh heh, yeah so i'm finding out...
hey, can someone tell me, do these jeeps have a "low water sensor" to stop the engine from starting?? reason i ask is, i can't start the bugger since i removed the thermo housing.

cheers

Nope! Does it turn over?:eek:

bruggz351 18-08-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyWA (Post 999114)
Nope! Does it turn over?:eek:

yep.
i let it cool after it boiled. then i moved it into a shady spot to work on. took the old thermo housing off and found it buggered. decided to leave the car at bro in laws place, so to be polite went to move it out of the way but it wouldn't start. turns over great, just doesn't fire, not a inkling.

cheers

eksjay 19-08-2009 01:40 PM

Can you all kindly provide km on the ODO for your car....when this problemo happened?

My thermostat has never been replaced [own the car from new], and I thought I would change it when the water pump eventually gave way or some other major mechanical happened....

thanks...

Gojeep 19-08-2009 06:04 PM

They dont have a low water sensor. I take it you have the temperture sensor unplugged though that is in the housing? This feeds to the ECU so don't know if that would stop it starting but wouldn't think so.