AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   NEW......T36 Alternator Recall (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149943)

Treebreakerbob 23-04-2021 11:35 AM

IMHO the blame also lays on the relevant govt department for failing to assess this recall and make it mandatory for all these alternators. Probably due to whether it is state or federal responsibility, makes it to hard, you mean I have to do some work

Trissaayne 26-04-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genpk (Post 1671940)
i guess this is why jeep scraped the hydro/ electric power steering and went back to hydraulic . No good having no steering if your electrics fail!!

Hydraulic dont really help with a wk2 with no power as no motor to turn the pump so your still in the same situation. Both systems are still drivable with no power but quite heavy.

NICK513 27-04-2021 11:28 PM

23/04/2021
When the vehicle is running, the battery symbol is displayed on the instrument panel, and the text prompt needs maintenance. The engine fault symbol appears and various symbols flash. After that, the electronic products stopped working until there was no power steering. It's very dangerous on the road! After barely driving home, it can't be started again after flameout.

After charging all night, the maintenance symbol disappears. In the morning, it's normal to light a fire and drive 16 km. In the evening, when driving nearly 10 kilometers, the battery maintenance symbol appears again. After that, all kinds of electrical appliances were cut off in 5 minutes until they suddenly stopped at an intersection. It was very dangerous! Cannot start again. After emergency replacement of a new battery, start the battery normally and drive it home.

My detection and judgment: according to the above experience, this car should be charged because the generator can't work normally.

The voltage does not change before and after the vehicle starts normally. When the positive pole of the battery is turned off, all the vehicles are cut off and flameout.

Maybe first, the generator is damaged; Second, the generator regulator is damaged; The third is the control program of automobile computer power generation.

I think this should belong to the campaign number: T36 "2012-2014 (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee
" recall issue. The VIN of this vehicle was not in the range of the VIN list released at that time. But the problems are consistent with many generator problems.

Therefore, a recall is strongly recommended.

2014 WK2 diesel Overland

Located in PERTH, WA, AU

Registration Number:**1GZ...
Km:105500
VIN:1C4RJFGM6EC2.....

Waiting for a response from Jeep Australia.

Grippy 28-04-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICK513 (Post 1672106)
23/04/2021

Maybe first, the generator is damaged; Second, the generator regulator is damaged; The third is the control program of automobile computer power generation.

I am pretty sure these run a rectifier not a regulator and they're part of the alternator, I reckon I've watched or read some things where blokes have successfully replaced them.
How many k's on your rig?
I'd replace the alternator before trying to drive it again, I've heard they can fry the ECU and other things when on the blink.

08crd 28-04-2021 08:27 PM

So is the initial problem, the dead battery stuffing the alternator, or the alternator stuffing the battery and then dying itself?

Grippy 29-04-2021 05:27 PM

I reckon if the voltage isn't changing while running then the alternator is toast, you should be getting over 14v while running, mine sits on around 14.7 for a while, then drops to 14 after an hour or so

drover 29-04-2021 05:55 PM

If mine craps out I will just throw in a new diode plate and it should be sorted with least amount of hassle......if it's windings or that sort of stuff you will know it, no guesswork needed..... Not a biggy to buy another alternator after market anyway and replacing them ....... Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of going thru dealers, god would take weeks of my life.

Grippy 29-04-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1672175)
If mine craps out I will just throw in a new diode plate and it should be sorted with least amount of hassle......if it's windings or that sort of stuff you will know it, no guesswork needed..... Not a biggy to buy another alternator after market anyway and replacing them ....... Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of going thru dealers, god would take weeks of my life.

I'm the same, I already have a spare sitting in the garage, I bought it for my Simmo trip last year, I figured it's cheap insurance
Dealers give me the shits, so any time I can avoid them the better.
It's not just Jeep though, a bird at work has had problems with her Ford Focus, gearbox destroys itself, they chucked in a new one and it does the same thing, apparently it's a worldwide problem, they even tried to blame it on female driving style ��

jeepsgofaster 30-04-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08crd (Post 1672148)
So is the initial problem, the dead battery stuffing the alternator, or the alternator stuffing the battery and then dying itself?

When mine went the initial problem was the alternator, think it originates in the diode pack because it becomes a direct short, alternator spewed out a ton of smoke then anything that was melt able spewed out every where and it would have killed the battery also except I was close to home and ripped the terminal off straight away.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

russell w 19-05-2021 10:45 PM

Hi guys, going on an outback trip Birdsville track etc. Worried about the alternator dropping it's lunch out there, so decided to buy a new one to take with me. Rang jeep, nil stock australia $395 six to eight weeks. Just ordered one from ebay $373.00. Hopefully won't need it this trip, but sooner or later it will probably die.
regards Russell

drover 20-05-2021 07:26 AM

Just come back from out that way, it was on my mind but buying and carrying a spare can apply to numerous parts especially sensors and hoses which are more likely to fail, so as usual I just took my chances......... I once always carried a water pump, numerous hoses, clamps so that in my shed I could have opened a shop for most brands of 4x4, I don't carry anything more than gaffa tape, tool box, puncture kit and a fan belt now.

This is the mob I have earmarked if mine gives any drama; https://cometbattery.com.au/shop/alt...sel-om642-exf/

V6 Diesel part number is
4801835AD or 4801835AC

timsarg 20-05-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell w (Post 1672788)
Hi guys, going on an outback trip Birdsville track etc. Worried about the alternator dropping it's lunch out there, so decided to buy a new one to take with me. Rang jeep, nil stock australia $395 six to eight weeks. Just ordered one from ebay $373.00. Hopefully won't need it this trip, but sooner or later it will probably die.
regards Russell

is yours playing up ?

If not why not just buy another GC and tow it with you on your trip .

i go bush regularily and like drover just carry gaffa tape and zip ties . that's all you need

russell w 20-05-2021 11:19 PM

No the alternator is working well, but is one of the known things that will stop you dead. if a sensor goes you still have limp mode to keep you going, sort of. I do have plenty of zip ties and tape as well and an extra spare tyre, fuel and air filters.
I am travelling with 2 friends with landcruisers, so imagine the crap that will come my way if the jeep shits itself.
If the alternator doesn't die in the next 2 years, I could resell it here.

drover 21-05-2021 05:50 AM

I have a WA mate stopping in for a maintenance period this weekend, he carries a spare alternator as well, so I will be able to have a decent lookie....................... When my alternator in the Colorado went up in flames on a trip a few years back I had another in 2 days freighted to me, I had previously researched the details so no drama making sure I was getting the correct one, at least it lived at the top of the motor not buried like these ones.

Grippy 21-05-2021 06:06 AM

I carry a spare alternator for long trips as it's one of those show stopper things if she bites the dust.
The Birdsville Tk is a lonely place, nothing out there mate, def take a second spare and make sure you have some good tough rubber all round.
Phil at Mungerannie has a selection of spares, interesting how he reckons to air down to mid 20's and his tyre bloke reckons keep the pressures high to avoid the sidewall bulging and being slashed.
Your ride will be the most comfortable and economical out of your convoy with the Toyota's

SouthernComfort 21-05-2021 08:27 AM

Russell W, a hundred things can go wrong with ANY car, I don't know how old yours is but I think carrying a spare alternator for such a trip is cheap insurance. I went one step further and just replaced mine at 5 y/o. The original was working fine but so for how much longer? They are prone to failure on the GC. I was haunted by the prospect of catastrophic consequences of a failure with caravan on the back (in my case), or being far from civilization. Carry that spare mate, along with a spare fuel pump relay. Makes good sense.

timsarg 21-05-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russell w (Post 1672818)
No the alternator is working well, but is one of the known things that will stop you dead. if a sensor goes you still have limp mode to keep you going, sort of. I do have plenty of zip ties and tape as well and an extra spare tyre, fuel and air filters.
I am travelling with 2 friends with landcruisers, so imagine the crap that will come my way if the jeep shits itself.
If the alternator doesn't die in the next 2 years, I could resell it here.

the alternator problem is not as wide spread as it is made out to be, not sure why you think it's such a high chance it's going to die .

SouthernComfort 21-05-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsarg (Post 1672823)
the alternator problem is not as wide spread as it is made out to be, not sure why you think it's such a high chance it's going to die .

It's about risk mitigation. Some people don't worry, others prefer to take preventative measures. There have been enough cases of catastrophic alternator failure to make it worth some attention and if you're in the bush or towing, the consequences of a failure would be even worse. Unlike failure of many other components, alternator failure results in shut down, sometimes even fire, and without warning. A sudden shut down of the vehicle systems at 100kph anywhere is something nobody would want to experience.
The only problem with relying on carrying a spare as opposed replacing one that's still functioning but aging, is you have to endure a failure before knowing it's time to get the spare out! And then hope the failure didn't land you in deep shit in the process.
I preferred to replace my 5y/o original while still working, failure while towing 2.5t would be unthinkable. The (functioning) old one can still be carried as the spare if necessary, I don't bother but I will replace again after 5-6 years.
We're all different.

drover 21-05-2021 05:43 PM

The alternator doesn't bother me but that bustard coolant leak in the valley is the one that gives me concern, it goes you will be well a truly up the creek and need more than a spanner or two, a hose blowing I have found over the years will cause more grief than most things.......well throwing a leg does sort of solve any road side fix............ of course knowing how to change the things and having the tools to do it does help, I have come across people who carry the spare parts but have no idea of the how to, which in itself is not a biggy and is a sensible approach when you need help.

Have noticed from mates with JGC that those who follow a certain faceache page tend to get more worried..........

So each to their own, a sat phone and full road service along with a BiC lighter and good insurance you should have the numbers covered.......... at least nowadays your not as remote as when I first wandered out into nowhere, in fact nowhere has gone, as much as folk think they are no where in 2021 come back to the 70's with me and I will show you what nowhere is really like........... no phone, HF radio and the sealed road ran out before Charleville......... a trip to Innaminka was an adventure, but you fixed a car with spanners and a hammer..........

Troutman 21-05-2021 06:22 PM

My thoughts too Drover.

russell w 21-05-2021 09:29 PM

Hi Drover, the hose in the valley is a worry, but from what I have seen it just splits a bit. If it happens I plan on loosening the radiator cap and with up to two hundred litres of water in the caravan i should be able to nurse it back to civilization, I hope. The oil cooler is another problem I don't want to think about.

Now what else can I worry about?

SouthernComfort 21-05-2021 10:05 PM

Even a split in the 'hose from hell' is unlikely to stop you dead and is definitely not a roadside job anyway, it's not even a repair you're likely to get done anywhere in the bush. Alternator can stop you dead and can also be replaced roadside with a bit of homework/knowledge in advance. There's only any point in carrying spares that you or someone close by can fit, for everything else there are only two options 1. Before setting off, fork out for the replacement of parts you're concerned enough about to cause loss of sleep, or 2. Live and travel with the risk and don't worry about it. There is no middle ground.

drover 22-05-2021 02:19 AM

Have followed points 1. and 2 at various times and sometimes combined........... I once carried this rotor button around in my spares box for a number of years then at 0400 dark, engine stops, I find the rotor has split, big smile on dial as I go to spares box and pull out a new one only the smile turns to a grimace when i find the box says 6 cyl but the rotor is a 4 cyl job, some cows learnt some new words that morning and I find some Tarzans and some sail makers thread worked enough to get me the last 100kms.............. It was these early lessons that taught me never to take things on face value, I think if I my GC was earlier than the 2015 I would have pulled the alternator out for a look see, diode plates don't usually fail in an instance they tend to cook over a time and does show, I have seen on others so assume these will too..... so, the other things are a matter of close inspection weeks before departure to see if anything is amiss is about the best way...........Carrying a spare alternator does give piece of mind which is always good, forget the power steering fluid last year so that was on my mind the whole trip and trying to find the right juice was hard......
So in conclusion if it keeps the mind happy then its a good idea........ Knowing the set ups on these things I try not to think too hard or the grey cells will go into massive overload......

jmtheo 19-08-2021 01:12 AM

Hi all.
Thanks everyone for their contributions to this thread - I've thoroughly enjoyed the read. Unfortunately though, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for...
So my 2011 CRD has fried 2 TIPMs in the last couple of days and experienced basically all the crazy electrical symptoms mentioned. Could this all be caused by a dodgy alternator? Auto sparky is stumped and didn't think it could and also didn't spot any alternator faults but this thread makes me think it could and that I should seek further advice.
Next step is to book it into the Stealer, but I want to be armed with good info beforehand...
Cheers!
Josh