AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   NEW......T36 Alternator Recall (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149943)

Troutman 18-01-2018 09:03 AM

Makes sense then, thanks Benno.

Benn0 18-01-2018 09:15 AM

It might be a good reason to upgrade to a new one! :)

imaz 18-01-2018 10:21 AM

While my alternator is getting replaced at the dealers this week, they also discovered the pcm is burnt. Anyone know where the pcm resides?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Benn0 18-01-2018 11:08 AM

I just had another look and I may be wrong about the 2015s, it is the 2016s that got the electric steering.

imaz 18-01-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627664)
While my alternator is getting replaced at the dealers this week, they also discovered the pcm is burnt. Anyone know where the pcm resides?

Jeep Service is emailing that the PCM is $1100 and asking me if they should order it. WTF? Do they think the cost is on me?

The car was in a running state prior to sending it for diagnostics for the T36 fault.

Venting...

Benn0 18-01-2018 11:55 AM

Yep, tell them to request a warranty claim from FCA, its obvious the alternator failure has taken out the PCM, happens a lot.

imaz 18-01-2018 12:00 PM

I cannot emphasize the success on the email contact robert.lawson@fcagroup.com. He assured/approved for a PCM replacement costing ~$1100 the dealer was trying to squeeze out of me today which was all due to the alternator spike during diagnostics.

Benn0 18-01-2018 12:42 PM

It would be good if dealers and FCA could get on the same page with this stuff.....

imaz 18-01-2018 12:56 PM

Oh don't worry, FCA immediately called the dealer(within 30mins of me ranting to FCA) to have it warrant at no cost to me. Sometimes we have to play this game as the customer otherwise it would have been a win by the dealer.

Perhaps the dealer would try to avoid making claims if they burnt the PCM or other components "during" diagnostics.

Taprod 19-01-2018 03:42 PM

The more I deal with jeep, the more I think the Dealer is the issue. FCA to their credit have been great.

I'm posting because my alternator has now failed. Got the burning electric smell, low voltage issues, air con and radio cutting out as the battery tries to take the full load. When my wife just got home it was sitting at 11 volts and i told her to switch it of. Dropped down to 8v when i went back to move it into the garage. I'll disconnect the battery and have booked it in with the only other dealer in town to be looked at on Monday.

What a bugger, I was planning a 3 day trip into the Brindabellas for Australia day weekend, now I'm racing the clock!

clarky50 19-01-2018 07:10 PM

I just emailed robert.lawson@fcagroup.com to ask what if anything is happening for the CRD failures, maybe we should all email him the same question?

SouthernComfort 20-01-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarky50 (Post 1627758)
I just emailed robert.lawson@fcagroup.com to ask what if anything is happening for the CRD failures, maybe we should all email him the same question?

Just did it. Let's see what responses we get.

johnnywal 20-01-2018 09:56 AM

Hi clarky50,
I just fired off an email too.
The more who do this, the more chance of getting some action.

clarky50 22-01-2018 07:52 AM

l got a reply from Robert at Jeep see below
RE: Alternator failure on 2012 Jeep GC CRD
L2
Lawson Robert 2 (FCA) <robert.lawson@fcagroup.com>

Reply|
Today, 8:02 AM
You
You replied on 22/01/2018 8:48 AM.
Hi Rob,

What you were previously advised, that there is no alternator recall for diesels and to hold on to your receipts in case there is a future recall, is all I can advise at this time

If There is a Alternator recall raised you will be advised by mail

Regards

Rob

Robert Lawson

Resolutions Desk Officer

Fiat Chrysler Australia

437 Plummer Street

Port Melbourne, Victoria, 3207

Australia

Telephone: 1300 133 079

Email: robert.lawson@fcagroup.com

Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 9:08 PM
To: Lawson Robert 2 (FCA) <robert.lawson@fcagroup.com>
Subject: Alternator failure on 2012 Jeep GC CRD

Good evening Robert, could you advise if there will be any recall relating to the same alternator failure that the petrol models are suffering for the 3.0 l CRD 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Mine failed last October and the resultant cost were $1237 for the repairs to the alternator and a new battery as the failure damaged the battery as well.

At the time I called Jeep call center and asked what the situation was, they advised that at that time there was no recall but to keep receipts for any future recall. I am disappointing that Jeep are not doing anything about the CRD failures as there appear to be a lot of them failing as well.

Its an expensive exercise to repair when you need the vehicle for work and cannot let it sit whilst hoping someone does something.

I would expect that the Alternator on my 2012 vehicle;e would last a bit longer than just over 5 years wouldn't you agree?

Thank you for reading my email and hopefully you can give me and others some information on this issue.

regards

Rob Clark

Taprod 22-01-2018 08:47 AM

So far Jeep has been really good. They have organised me a tow to the dealership and I will get a like for like loan vehicle while it awaits repairs. The lady I have been dealing with is named Kate and I’ve found her to be most empathetic and helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarky50 22-01-2018 09:01 AM

sounds like you had a good result, I hope they do the same for CRDs if and when we get a recall.

Taprod 22-01-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarky50 (Post 1627863)
sounds like you had a good result, I hope they do the same for CRDs if and when we get a recall.

Fingers crossed. I’ve had my faith restored, so far. I’ll report back once repairs are complete. Fingers crossed for all the CRD owners here

SouthernComfort 22-01-2018 09:24 AM

I received basically the same reply from Robert, at least he replied promptly which is a good sign.

So we either fork out for a replacement and hope to eventually claim it back if the CRD goes to recall, or play the finger-crossing game.

Surnturf 22-01-2018 09:25 AM

I spoke to Kate from Jeep customer care as well this morning
Reading between the lines ,there is a lot of Diesel alternators failing as well and she has no doubt it will be a re call item
She said to keep all your receipts,Battery and tow fares even taxi fares as it will all be reimbursed when it eventually happens.
So good to know that its just a matter of time

SouthernComfort 22-01-2018 12:10 PM

What are the replacement alternators you guys are paying to have fitted? are they OEM Jeep or generic brand?

Benn0 22-01-2018 12:24 PM

My read on the diesels is that they are waiting on the fix before recalling them, however long that is.

Taprod 22-01-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1627878)
What are the replacement alternators you guys are paying to have fitted? are they OEM Jeep or generic brand?

The jeep brand ones aren’t in yet, so they’ll be fitting an aftermarket one to my vehicle. I’ll let you know the brand when I get it back

imaz 22-01-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627880)
The jeep brand ones aren’t in yet, so they’ll be fitting an aftermarket one to my vehicle. I’ll let you know the brand when I get it back

Dont Jeep use Denso's?

Taprod 22-01-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627881)
Dont Jeep use Denso's?

Tbh I wouldn’t know. What I know is that they’ve told me they’ll be fitting an aftermarket one, and that I’ll need to bring it back to swap in the OEM one when it finally comes in

clarky50 22-01-2018 01:12 PM

Mine was rebuilt by an Alternator guy in Southport

SnakeDoctor 22-01-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1627665)
I just had another look and I may be wrong about the 2015s, it is the 2016s that got the electric steering.

Yeah, I had just checked my 2015 model Build sheet and it has the:

* Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering

listed.

Taprod 22-01-2018 01:48 PM

Quick update. It has been confirmed that my alternator is cactus and that all repairs are covered by Jeep. Unfortunately, not only are the oem alternators in short supply, but the aftermarket ones too! I’ve been told I could be waiting up to 3 weeks to get my vehicle back.

I’ve been promised a like-for-like loan car though, so waiting for that to come through this afternoon

Troutman 22-01-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor (Post 1627884)
Yeah, I had just checked my 2015 model Build sheet and it has the:

* Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering

listed.

Mine too....so it still begs the question why MY 2015 models weren't included in the recall?

imaz 22-01-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627885)
Quick update. It has been confirmed that my alternator is cactus and that all repairs are covered by Jeep. Unfortunately, not only are the oem alternators in short supply, but the aftermarket ones too! I’ve been told I could be waiting up to 3 weeks to get my vehicle back.

I’ve been promised a like-for-like loan car though, so waiting for that to come through this afternoon

Mines been the shop for 6-7 days now, I bags the last the aftermarket alternator :)

Pretty sure the alternator of mine arrived today at Jeep dealers so I'm told.

Taprod 22-01-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627887)
Mines been the shop for 6-7 days now, I bags the last the aftermarket alternator :)

Pretty sure the alternator of mine arrived today at Jeep dealers so I'm told.

Good stuff. It’s 4:20 and they still don’t have a loan car for me. I’ve done most of the leg work on it too. The dealer asked me to call FCA because all he could get was a recorded message saying they’d get back to him in 2 days! Not sure what number he was calling!

At this point they should be rolling out their SRT demonstrator for me. Wishful thinking

SnakeDoctor 22-01-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1627886)
Mine too....so it still begs the question why MY 2015 models weren't included in the recall?

If in doubt, it's because they are dopes.

Surnturf 22-01-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627882)
Tbh I wouldn’t know. What I know is that they’ve told me they’ll be fitting an aftermarket one, and that I’ll need to bring it back to swap in the OEM one when it finally comes in

Similar with myself but they are installing an OEM jeep part (7 days from jeep parts warehouse in Melbourne) then when the recall happens they remove this one that's going in now.

imaz 22-01-2018 03:19 PM

I spoke too soon. Dealer called and parts told them I wont have an alternator(jeep brand) for a few weeks. No, they will not fit an aftermarket part temporarily as FCA wont cover for it. (even though FCA told me otherwise).

Anyway, I have demanded a loan car which I am now going to pickup, and demanded a large car of the same type as "I am going camping with family, this long weekend" :)

Kinda getting sick of this entire process, running around etc. I had wished I had ordered an alternator directly out of US and just expense it back with FCA. I probably wouldn't have blown a PCM either.

BTW I will claim back this taxi fare too.

imaz 22-01-2018 03:22 PM

I know a place who has an aftermarket Alternator 220amp available in WA. I would have gone this route, but the Jeep dealer wont budge as no one will cover the cost for the aftermarket.

Taprod 22-01-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627899)
I spoke too soon. Dealer called and parts told them I wont have an alternator(jeep brand) for a few weeks. No, they will not fit an aftermarket part temporarily as FCA wont cover for it. (even though FCA told me otherwise).

Anyway, I have demanded a loan car which I am now going to pickup, and demanded a large car of the same type as "I am going camping with family, this long weekend" :)

Kinda getting sick of this entire process, running around etc. I had wished I had ordered an alternator directly out of US and just expense it back with FCA. I probably wouldn't have blown a PCM either.

BTW I will claim back this taxi fare too.

I’ve spent all day trying to organise the loan car I was promised by FCA. Lots of buck passing, with me doing all of the legwork. THe dealer doesn’t have one, and they’re busy emailing each other to get approval for me to have a rental. So now I’m getting s lift home because someone in my office who I’ve never met was kind enough to offer me one.

If FCA think they can refuse an aftermarket part and just keep my car in the shop for a couple of months, they have another thing coming. The gall of such a suggestion after knowing about this issue for 4 months and providing no extra information or updates, to the point that my alternator failed while my wife was driving our kids home in 40 degree heat. I’m pretty angry, so I should probably stop typing

imaz 22-01-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627902)
I’ve spent all day trying to organise the loan car I was promised by FCA. Lots of buck passing, with me doing all of the legwork. THe dealer doesn’t have one, and they’re busy emailing each other to get approval for me to have a rental. So now I’m getting s lift home because someone in my office who I’ve never met was kind enough to offer me one.

If FCA think they can refuse an aftermarket part and just keep my car in the shop for a couple of months, they have another thing coming. The gall of such a suggestion after knowing about this issue for 4 months and providing no extra information or updates, to the point that my alternator failed while my wife was driving our kids home in 40 degree heat. I’m pretty angry, so I should probably stop typing

Yeh you want to rack up a loan car and taxi then throw it back at them. Just ring up a rental company and see if they have anything for you, pass the bill back to FCA. They would surely cover it.

That tow truck story i had with them would have taken forever if I went through them. 3 days for a response that a tow truck is available! Luckily I went with my instinct and organized one that same afternoon.

I would have thought most dealers carry demo cars, and swap parts/testing when needed.

Taprod 22-01-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627903)
Yeh you want to rack up a loan car and taxi then throw it back at them. Just ring up a rental company and see if they have anything for you, pass the bill back to FCA. They would surely cover it.

That tow truck story i had with them would have taken forever if I went through them. 3 days for a response that a tow truck is available! Luckily I went with my instinct and organized one that same afternoon.

I would have thought most dealers carry demo cars, and swap parts/testing when needed.

The disappointing part is that FCA organised my tow this morning immediately, so I thought everything would go well. Things only seem to go well when I speak to Kate though. The guy at he dealership thought it was pretty weird that he had to email them requesting a loan car, when the whole thing was orchestrated by FCA anyway and he wasn’t even a party to it. None of the people seem to have any idea what is going on or what the procedure is for authorizing a loan car. I also find it hard to believe the dealer does not have a grand Cherokee or wrangler demo sitting there that I could take

imaz 22-01-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1627906)
The disappointing part is that FCA organised my tow this morning immediately, so I thought everything would go well. Things only seem to go well when I speak to Kate though. The guy at he dealership thought it was pretty weird that he had to email them requesting a loan car, when the whole thing was orchestrated by FCA anyway and he wasn’t even a party to it. None of the people seem to have any idea what is going on or what the procedure is for authorizing a loan car. I also find it hard to believe the dealer does not have a grand Cherokee or wrangler demo sitting there that I could take

Dealers want to be able to pass the bill back to FCA. Most times dealer loaners(demos) are booked out in advance for people sending in for services. There would usually be 2-3, and these are also used by dealer managers to take home.

They frequently rotate the types of demo they have available to keep the millages low. Its unfortunate the dealer you chose does not have a GC.

imaz 22-01-2018 06:37 PM

Edited.

So I go to pickup the loaner, and NOW I'm told they are "allowed" to get an aftermarket alternator in for me(with agreement they will swap it out as genuine become avail) and hopefully be ready in a few days.

As someone else has stated, I think the dealers and FCA DO NOT speak the same wave length.

Its either that, or now I'm taking a loaner from them(mentioned the word camping), they feel obligated to have the car ready asap.

Taprod 23-01-2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1627927)
Edited.

So I go to pickup the loaner, and NOW I'm told they are "allowed" to get an aftermarket alternator in for me(with agreement they will swap it out as genuine become avail) and hopefully be ready in a few days.

As someone else has stated, I think the dealers and FCA DO NOT speak the same wave length.

Its either that, or now I'm taking a loaner from them(mentioned the word camping), they feel obligated to have the car ready asap.

How this has been allowed to go on for 5 months is beyond me. Above all else, they’ve known for at least 4 months that people are driving around with alternators that can start a fire. I reckon if my wife drove our car much longer that would have happened based on the smell. It just isn’t acceptable really and the aftermarket alternators should have been fitted immediately for safety reasons.

I was 4 days away from being in the middle of nowhere at he bottom of some very steep hills when it happened. Thank god we were in town.

As an aside here is a picture of my son who was devastated the man was taking his car away. Not kidding. It was a proper tantrum!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3fa3222de8.jpg