AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   NEW......T36 Alternator Recall (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149943)

imaz 31-01-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamAE (Post 1628497)
Got fobbed off to customer care when I emailed Robert Lawson. Obviously questions to hard or he's sick of deal with it now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sounds like he is sick of dealing with it - I think you guys have worn it thin with the questions that Jeep Customer care should be dealing with.

Buffomarinus 01-02-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1628522)
Sounds like he is sick of dealing with it - I think you guys have worn it thin with the questions that Jeep Customer care should be dealing with.

I just sent an email to him:

Good afternoon Robert,

Please find attached a copy of the New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – T3607112017 issued by FCA prior to the T36 recall. I note that in the Advanced Communication the 220 amp alternator fitted to Grand Cherokees equiped with electrohydraulic steering was identified as being subject to the recall.

As the owner of a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel I am deeply concerned at the number of reported failures of the alternators fitted to these vehicles on the Australian market. I note that the T36 recall issued by FCA doesn't cover the vehicles (with the diesel) available in Australia 2011- 2013 but applies to the vehicles available in the US even though the same alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination is fitted to the vehicles available in both markets.

When will all Australian owners of these vehicles with this alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination receive this safety recall that is issued to address the issue of: "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator."?

If you require any further information to support resolution of this issue please let me know.

Cheers

Buffomarinus 01-02-2018 06:02 PM

Just sent an email to Jeep US with a similar enquiry. Will be interesting to see who responds first.

Buffomarinus 02-02-2018 02:59 PM

The US team responded first:

Thank you for contacting the FCA US Customer Assistance Center,
> regarding your
> 2013 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO 4X4 RHD .
>
> Your email was received by the FCA US LLC Customer Assistance Center
> that addresses issues with vehicles currently in the United States.
> We recommend that you contact our office responsible for your area via
> email at;
> au.crt@fcagroup.com or via phone at; 1300 133 079
> That Center is staffed with trained professionals, ready to address your
> concerns.
>
> Thanks again for your email.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Teresa
> Customer Service Representative
> FCA US Customer Assistance Center

I replied with:
Good morning Teresa,

Thank you for your response.

My enquiry to FCA US was not accidental. To date Jeep Australia have not offered their customers a satisfactory explanation that would address the safety concern that I raised in my email that you have responded to.

Since the safety related issue in question is addressed only by the T36 recall issued by FCA US and relates to vehicles built by FCA US I believe FCA US are perfectly and uniquely positioned to answer my enquiry.

If you require any further information to assist in providing a resolution to the safety related issue I have raised please let me know.

Yours sincerely

Buffomarinus 02-02-2018 03:02 PM

Got a reply from our friends at Fiat Chrysler Australia:

Hi Lee,

We have not been advised that there is a recall on Diesel Grand Cherokees in Australia at this time

If this recall does come to Australia, all diesel owners will be notified by mail

Regards

Rob

Robert Lawson

Resolutions Desk Officer

Fiat Chrysler Australia

437 Plummer Street

Port Melbourne, Victoria, 3207

Australia

Telephone: 1300 133 079

Email: robert.lawson@fcagroup.com

I replied with:
Good afternoon Robert,

Yes, I am aware that there isn't currently a recall for the Diesel Grand Cherokees in Australia at this time and that, in all likelihood, owners would be notified if this changes.

Could you please clarify what the difference is between petrol powered Grand Cherokees equipped with the 220 Amp alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination that are subject to the T36 recall and the diesel powered Grand Cherokees with the same 220 Amp alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination that are not recalled?

Could you please provide assurance that this difference is such that "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator" is not a condition that owners/drivers of the Diesel Grand Cherokees will experience.

If you require any further information please let me know.

Cheers

imaz 02-02-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffomarinus (Post 1628637)
Got a reply from our friends at Fiat Chrysler Australia:

Hi Lee,

We have not been advised that there is a recall on Diesel Grand Cherokees in Australia at this time

If this recall does come to Australia, all diesel owners will be notified by mail

Regards

Rob

Robert Lawson

Resolutions Desk Officer

Fiat Chrysler Australia

437 Plummer Street

Port Melbourne, Victoria, 3207

Australia

Telephone: 1300 133 079

Email: robert.lawson@fcagroup.com

I replied with:
Good afternoon Robert,

Yes, I am aware that there isn't currently a recall for the Diesel Grand Cherokees in Australia at this time and that, in all likelihood, owners would be notified if this changes.

Could you please clarify what the difference is between petrol powered Grand Cherokees equipped with the 220 Amp alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination that are subject to the T36 recall and the diesel powered Grand Cherokees with the same 220 Amp alternator/electrohydraulic steering combination that are not recalled?

Could you please provide assurance that this difference is such that "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator" is not a condition that owners/drivers of the Diesel Grand Cherokees will experience.

If you require any further information please let me know.

Cheers

Interesting now that you state it in plain words. See if ACCC have anything to say, and suggest that US are already taking action for the Diesels.

If the part numbers are identical, there will be a massive alternator shortage as there already is, oem or aftermarket. I noticed these alternators are excessively overpriced, do you think it is because of the current demands/recall currently out there?

Buffomarinus 05-02-2018 03:26 PM

No reply yet from Mr Robert Lawson (Resolutions Desk Officer, Fiat Chrysler Australia), I can only assume he is sourcing the correct information to respond with and I can appreciate that sometimes that may not be immediately on hand. No response either from Teresa (Customer Service Representative, FCA US Customer Assistance Center), I wonder who will respond first with a resolution to this safety related issue?

Quote: "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator"

SouthernComfort 06-02-2018 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffomarinus (Post 1628766)
No reply yet from Mr Robert Lawson (Resolutions Desk Officer, Fiat Chrysler Australia), I can only assume he is sourcing the correct information to respond with and I can appreciate that sometimes that may not be immediately on hand. No response either from Teresa (Customer Service Representative, FCA US Customer Assistance Center), I wonder who will respond first with a resolution to this safety related issue?

Quote: "When the diodes fail, the alternator will no longer supply electrical energy to the vehicle and may lead to a vehicle stall without warning. Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator"

Their silence could be interpreted as good or bad, but I suspect they know by now that their responses to date aren't cutting it. If they feel cornered, then good. Let's hope FCA & FC US are talking to each other now instead of playing political ping pong. Several of us have written, but thank you for your ongoing efforts and updates Buffomarinus.

Benn0 06-02-2018 07:55 AM

Yeah, I don't think the current stance on the diesel alternators is acceptable. It is obvious that the diesel alternator has the same issue as the petrol, so why not issue the initial recall acknowledging that and repair failed units under statutory warranty?

That they are asking diesel owners to foot the bill and hope for a refund later isn't in line with their legal obligations.....

clarky50 07-02-2018 05:49 PM

For a fleeting moment I thought the letter from FCA was a recall for the Alternator on mt CRD but no , it was a recall letter but was for the sunvisor lamp that they said they fixed a few years ago but needs to be redone, ah well it was good for a second. Hope they fix the Alternators better than the sunvisor lamp.

SouthernComfort 08-02-2018 07:07 AM

Well the FCA & dealer debacle continues. Rocked up at the dealer at the appointed time early this morning to have new alternator fitted at my expense. This is what I was met with: "Oh, we tried contacting you yesterday to let you know the part hasn't arrived. There is no ETA on it, in fact it's not just alternators, we can't get any parts for anything at the moment, we don't know what FCA are playing at, they're crucifying us" . To add insult to injury they had taken my number down incorrectly, no wonder they couldn't contact me, although they did have my email address - I suppose using that would require initiative beyond their capability!

Seriously, I think FCA and their distribution/dealer network are as bad as each other and getting worse, meanwhile the hapless customer is bunny in the middle. I will fire off a message to Robert Lawson today and express my "dismay" in extremely clear terms. Somehow though I suspect that banging my head on the proverbial brick wall will bring greater satisfaction....

If there's any truth in this parts supply thing, I hope you guys don't need anything done in the foreseeable. Of course, it could be I was spun a bunch of BS, who knows?

imaz 08-02-2018 07:54 AM

@SouthernComfort

Dont hold your breath. Think the dealers and FCA are playing cat and mouse at the moment. Parts must be on freeze or something.

I was last told ThirdParty alternators can be organized temporarily since the non-fixed oem cannot be supplied until April. But I think their trying to hold you back until April so they dont have to fought the bill of an aftermarket item, which will go to waste once the fixed oem part becomes available/non-fixed oem. If that makes any sense to you.

Its all about timing which determines how much $ FC loses.

I clearly know Veele auto parts have the 220a alternators in stock for my jeep, $670 and their local. I had already informed my dealer, but nada.

Just as well I'm not planning on any trips at the moment.

4th week and counting.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

SouthernComfort 08-02-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1628922)
@SouthernComfort

Dont hold your breath. Think the dealers and FCA are playing cat and mouse at the moment. Parts must be on freeze or something.

I was last told ThirdParty alternators can be organized temporarily since the non-fixed oem cannot be supplied until April. But I think their trying to hold you back until April so they dont have to fought the bill of an aftermarket item, which will go to waste once the fixed oem part becomes available/non-fixed oem. If that makes any sense to you.

Its all about timing which determines how much $ FC loses.

I clearly know Veele auto parts have the 220a alternators in stock for my jeep, $670 and their local. I had already informed my dealer, but nada.

Just as well I'm not planning on any trips at the moment.

4th week and counting.

There seems to be 2 issues, one is the shortage of alternators for petrol engines due to the recall, the other is the general inability of the parts distribution centre to deliver anything i.e. the dealer told me 140 (diesel) alternators were in stock at the centre when I ordered, they just can't get their hands on one!

Surnturf 08-02-2018 11:08 AM

Had my alternator changed over 2 weeks ago on a CRD GC overland.Took 10 days to get the part,dealer told me that the company that distributes FCA parts just dropped the ball at the end of December and now another company is taking over.They dont know the previous system and are either building another or learning the existing one but parts are very hard to get .........

Troutman 08-02-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surnturf (Post 1628934)
They dont know the previous system and are either building another or learning the existing one but parts are very hard to get .........

Distributing parts to a dealer network is hardly rocket science or cutting edge new technology. These guys simply excel at fucking up the most simple of tasks.

gtjeeper 08-02-2018 02:35 PM

No Parts

I had my Overland in for its 60,000 service today and was told that one of my shocks was leaking. It is still under warranty so I thought - fine. But - there are NO shocks in Australia for it to be replaced and it will be 6-8 week wait!!!

imaz 08-02-2018 05:23 PM

You are not wrong there, just got off the phone with the dealer and parts to confirm that statement. FCA did change distributors and computer system so everything as for parts has gone haywire. Not just for Australia parts delivery, but from US.

Buffomarinus 08-02-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1628961)
You are not wrong there, just got off the phone with the dealer and parts to confirm that statement. FCA did change distributors and computer system so everything as for parts has gone haywire. Not just for Australia parts delivery, but from US.

Dear god, they just keep handing over ammo for the haters and empty promises for their customers

imaz 08-02-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffomarinus (Post 1628962)
Dear god, they just keep handing over ammo for the haters and empty promises for their customers

I called up to know whether I should fill $20 or a full tank on the loaner vehicle. They straightout said fill her up, it wont be for a while.......

On an email enquiry.

Hi *****,

Chrysler/Jeep are experiencing major issues with supply of parts from their Eastern States Warehouse, this has been ongoing for a number of next but they have recently advise they’re expecting to be back to normal by the end of February. Hope this sufficiently answers your enquiry. Cheers
Regards,

*********** | Parts Interpreter
DVG Automotive Group

Robaxe5 12-02-2018 02:40 PM

My 2011 Wk was just confirmed 2 weeks ago the alternator was dead and that yes FCA had approved the replacement of an after market Alternator for free as part of the recall programme as the OEM one is snot avail and not sure when!!
The service person informed might get my car back by the next of February, with no exactt delvery date provided of the alternator!

The service recieved from the WA branch service cntre has been extremly poor, story changes every phone call and is extremly rude, wife finds them imtimidating!

Buffomarinus 12-02-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robaxe5 (Post 1629181)
My 2011 Wk was just confirmed 2 weeks ago the alternator was dead and that yes FCA had approved the replacement of an after market Alternator for free as part of the recall programme as the OEM one is snot avail and not sure when!!
The service person informed might get my car back by the next of February, with no exactt delvery date provided of the alternator!

The service recieved from the WA branch service cntre has been extremly poor, story changes every phone call and is extremly rude, wife finds them imtimidating!

FCA have a LOT to learn about customer service.

imaz 12-02-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robaxe5 (Post 1629181)

Which dealer in Perth?

SouthernComfort 12-02-2018 03:37 PM

I waited a few days to see if FCA would respond to my last email, which they haven't. There is still no word on when an oem alternator (diesel) will be available through the dealer, FCA aren't talking, and I can't rely on guesses and estimates. As I'm about to do a fair bit of travelling & towing I need some immediate action, so it's time to take an alternative approach. I don't want the risk of being out in the sticks and the alternator gives up.

I contacted US Auto Parts who offered me an oem unit ($1140) for delivery from the US within 5-7 days, apparently they have their own distributor in the US. Or, they could send me a Jaylec ($744) which would take 1-2 days. I ordered the Jaylec and it was delivered to my home in Melbourne within 2 hours - seriously amazing service!. I'm happy to save some money at this stage and can't imagine the Jaylec being any worse than an oem unit. It's the correct 220amp, and Stephanie @ US Auto Parts assured me she had cross checked it with the oem part number and my VIN to be doubly sure. Must say I'm very impressed with their refreshing attitude and service. If anyone is interested the Jaylec part no. is 65-8536 for the WK2 CRD.

To some extent it's against better judgement that I've booked in for the dealer to fit it next week, but 3 local auto elecs I contacted were a little hesitant having never fitted one on a GC. Also, I figure I might have more luck getting reimbursement on a dealer fitting if/when a recall happens for the CRD. Might also get lucky on reimbursement for the unit itself since FCA can't supply one or offer a firm timeline, I think they'd be hard pushed to reject an aftermarket unit. I'll take my chances on that. Fingers crossed that the dealer has a tech who knows what they're doing next week!

Robaxe5 12-02-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1629195)
I waited a few days to see if FCA would respond to my last email, which they haven't. There is still no word on when an oem alternator (diesel) will be available through the dealer, FCA aren't talking, and I can't rely on guesses and estimates. As I'm about to do a fair bit of travelling & towing I need some immediate action, so it's time to take an alternative approach. I don't want the risk of being out in the sticks and the alternator gives up.

I contacted US Auto Parts who offered me an oem unit ($1140) for delivery from the US within 5-7 days, apparently they have their own distributor in the US. Or, they could send me a Jaylec ($744) which would take 1-2 days. I ordered the Jaylec and it was delivered to my home in Melbourne within 2 hours - seriously amazing service!. I'm happy to save some money at this stage and can't imagine the Jaylec being any worse than an oem unit. It's the correct 220amp, and Stephanie @ US Auto Parts assured me she had cross checked it with the oem part number and my VIN to be doubly sure. Must say I'm very impressed with their refreshing attitude and service. If anyone is interested the Jaylec part no. is 65-8536 for the WK2 CRD.

To some extent it's against better judgement that I've booked in for the dealer to fit it next week, but 3 local auto elecs I contacted were a little hesitant having never fitted one on a GC. Also, I figure I might have more luck getting reimbursement on a dealer fitting if/when a recall happens for the CRD. Might also get lucky on reimbursement for the unit itself since FCA can't supply one or offer a firm timeline, I think they'd be hard pushed to reject an aftermarket unit. I'll take my chances on that. Fingers crossed that the dealer has a tech who knows what they're doing next week!

With delvery time on that alternator makes u seriously wonder what level of incompetence is going on with Jeep and their spares ordering !!

SouthernComfort 13-02-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robaxe5 (Post 1629196)
With delvery time on that alternator makes u seriously wonder what level of incompetence is going on with Jeep and their spares ordering !!

My thoughts exactly. Even if they have a temporary logistics problem, failing to communicate with dealers and customers is just inexcusable.

imaz 13-02-2018 02:52 PM

Yeh I got my car back with the aftermarket alternator. Feels the same how it used to be, no additional sluggishness and the A/C still feels cold - unlike some others had reported.

Service manager had said the replacement part may come in sometime later in the year, June, July, Aug or Sept etc.

SouthernComfort 13-02-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1629242)
Yeh I got my car back with the aftermarket alternator. Feels the same how it used to be, no additional sluggishness and the A/C still feels cold - unlike some others had reported.

Service manager had said the replacement part may come in sometime later in the year, June, July, Aug or Sept etc.

Do you know what brand it is?

Taprod 13-02-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1629243)

Still waiting for an answer from Gulson in Canberra after 2 weeks.They’ll be getting a phone call tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imaz 13-02-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

I had a look around and was unable to find any stickers. I'll take another look when I get home. Service dealer wasnt able to tell me the make/model either.

Taprod 13-02-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1629246)
I had a look around and was unable to find any stickers. I'll take another look when I get home. Service dealer wasnt able to tell me the make/model either.

Maybe Aldi has a sale on alternators and they queued up with all the other dealers to snap them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imaz 13-02-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Cant see anything on the part to indicate what it maybe.

I was told the PCM was replaced with a new. However, what is in my car still looks the same, ie same old red dirt just like everything else around it from all my offroad trips. Do you think the dealer was trying to make a buck or two from me/FCA(sending the bill part of the recall)?

SouthernComfort 14-02-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1629270)

I was told the PCM was replaced with a new. However, what is in my car still looks the same, ie same old red dirt just like everything else around it from all my offroad trips. Do you think the dealer was trying to make a buck or two from me/FCA(sending the bill part of the recall)?

I was just curious. My new Jaylec has no ID on the unit itself, only on the box.

Don't worry, I'm also cynical about workshop practices, who knows what they replace (or not)? Not that uncommon for even basic consumables not being changed yet still charged for! I now ask for all the replaced parts to be given back to me (filters and other bits that were prescribed for the job). My dad used to mark the old parts and if the car was handed back with a mark still in place, they soon knew about it!!

OzRick25 14-02-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Do you think the dealer was trying to make a buck or two from me/FCA(sending the bill part of the recall)?

Absolutely I'd almost say it is standard practice from them. The last time I had a vehicle serviced by them they tried charging me for $180 for rotating tires and $60 for filling the windscreen fluid, exuberant charges but it gets better because they actually didn't do either of them.

Titch101 14-02-2018 08:58 AM

Out of warranty now and getting a bit concerned with how reliable this rig is going to be in the future, with the horrendous cost of parts and seeming lack of availability in just about everything its making me consider changing it out for something else. Problem is what to replace it with??
Almost tempted to ditch all the tech and go to a 76 series wagon or something similar, at least parts are freely available and less electrickery to go tits up.

Barboots 14-02-2018 09:12 AM

Yep, replacement clutches are available everywhere [emoji6]

Classic Boy 14-02-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titch101 (Post 1629287)
Problem is what to replace it with??
Almost tempted to ditch all the tech and go to a 76 series wagon or something similar, at least parts are freely available and less electrickery to go tits up.

They are a good unit tough as nails and cheap to keep running but they still command a high resale and many units on the market have high km's.

imaz 14-02-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzRick25 (Post 1629279)
Absolutely I'd almost say it is standard practice from them. The last time I had a vehicle serviced by them they tried charging me for $180 for rotating tires and $60 for filling the windscreen fluid, exuberant charges but it gets better because they actually didn't do either of them.

I guess that is how business works, and they will always want to make a win.

There is no way a service dept will make a profit from a 1hr labour job from a alternator recall. Fair enough, the parts not available, that is the only honest thing about it.

They had to re-coupe their costs in other ways and lending me their car etc, submitting an empty claim for a PCM replacement to FCA as part of T36 is like gold for them.

Gold!

No such thing as an honest business.

Classic Boy 14-02-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

More likely someone in the dealership needed a new PCM for their personal transport and buy billing FCA as part of a recall got it for nix.

SouthernComfort 14-02-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1629292)
I guess that is how business works, and they will always want to make a win.

There is no way a service dept will make a profit from a 1hr labour job from a alternator recall. Fair enough, the parts not available, that is the only honest thing about it.

They had to re-coupe their costs in other ways and lending me their car etc, submitting an empty claim for a PCM replacement to FCA as part of T36 is like gold for them.

Gold!

No such thing as an honest business.

1 hour?? they quoted standard a alternator swap on CRD is 4 hours labour ($600)

imaz 14-02-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1629298)
1 hour?? they quoted standard a alternator swap on CRD is 4 hours labour ($600)

Unless technology has advanced, from the days I remember seeing my father change an alternator was literally 2-3 bolts and at most 2 cables.

Perhaps the CRD's are a little different and more tight fit. But the Pentastars are just there, completely accessible in the bay with heaps of room to work with. Albeit tension the belt.