AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   XJ not starting (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136962)

xjeepping 16-12-2014 06:18 PM

XJ not starting RESOLVED

This is really starting to bug me. Turning the key for 15 minutes with just a faint relay sounding click from under dash. Finally starter engaged but I was too quick with the key cycle & turned it off again before engine caught. :wall: Another 15 minutes until the starter engaged again. This extended session is only when it's hot. Warm may take several attempts. Cold usually no problem. This seems to be getting worse. Have tested Crank position sensor, battery good, NSS unit rebuilt, tried with radio fuse removed. Radio (non standard) and fan go off when key turned. Headlights do not dim. Everything works including remote locking. Heat is its enemy so would appreciate some advise on what to check next.

Richard buttocks 16-12-2014 06:20 PM

Starter getting power to the solenoid wire when it wont start?

junglejuice 16-12-2014 06:24 PM

When it does do this try testing the power to the solenoid as RB suggested and if it's good try bridging the terminals manually and see if that changes anything, most likely the solenoid is stuffed/dirty....

anthonygubbin 16-12-2014 06:41 PM

I know the solenoids can wear at the terminals. What happens is as they get old they start to work loose. If you get to it in time it can be repaired with epoxy resin. If not repaired in time its all over.

Regards A

xjeepping 16-12-2014 06:51 PM

Thanks all for your quick responses. Will give that a go.

anthonygubbin 16-12-2014 07:16 PM

I just re-red the initial post. Have you ever had a leaking oil filter adapter. If yes then you will have wet or dry oil inside it. To fi this you need to dismantle the SM and clean out all the oil. You should also check the brushes for wear and replace them if need be. This is a very common issue and I didn't click at first until I re-read the initial post. IMO I think you will find this is the culprit rather than a faulty solenoid. If you don't clean it out it shorts out then you will be up for both a solenoid and contacts.

Regards A

werd 17-12-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonygubbin (Post 1508032)
I just re-red the initial post. Have you ever had a leaking oil filter adapter. If yes then you will have wet or dry oil inside it. To fi this you need to dismantle the SM and clean out all the oil. You should also check the brushes for wear and replace them if need be. This is a very common issue and I didn't click at first until I re-read the initial post. IMO I think you will find this is the culprit rather than a faulty solenoid. If you don't clean it out it shorts out then you will be up for both a solenoid and contacts.

Regards A

I had this same problem and did have to replace the starter after I fixed the leak. When I opened it up, it was fried! Melted copper and full of oil.