AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheres the best spots to drive? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Tips for a sand driving noob (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149929)

Taprod 11-09-2017 01:35 PM

Tips for a sand driving noob

Hey all,

Taking the family to port macquarie this week and thought I might head along the point plomer track and try to get the jeep on the beach.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience no these beaches and can tell me a bit about the conditions? I've never driven on sand before and have no mods apart from my K02s, but was planning on just deflating my tyres and potentially borrowing some maxtrax off a mate.

ANything else I should be careful of? I'll be on my own, no secondary vehicle to pull me out if needed.

Nanook 11-09-2017 02:09 PM

Drop your pressures to around 16 psi. Try to drive in the tracks of others as the sand will be compressed.

Don't go below the high tide mark. If you do get stuck on the change of tide, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Avoid using your brakes to stop unless you have to. It's better to let the vehicle roll to a stop. This is so you don't dig in.

Carry a shovel and recovery tracks. Even the cheap $100 ones off ebay work.

Carry D shackles and a snatch strap. There is nothing worse than helping someone who is bogged that doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

And if someone does help you, thank them. Please don't be the arsehole that believes they are entitled to have someone pull them out. There are plenty like that out there and they are reason why a lot of people out there don't bother helping anymore.

Apart from that, have fun. There is nothing better than sand driving on a beautiful day.

Taprod 11-09-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1619673)
Drop your pressures to around 16 psi. Try to drive in the tracks of others as the sand will be compressed.

Don't go below the high tide mark. If you do get stuck on the change of tide, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Avoid using your brakes to stop unless you have to. It's better to let the vehicle roll to a stop. This is so you don't dig in.

Carry a shovel and recovery tracks. Even the cheap $100 ones off ebay work.

Carry D shackles and a snatch strap. There is nothing worse than helping someone who is bogged that doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

And if someone does help you, thank them. Please don't be the arsehole that believes they are entitled to have someone pull them out. There are plenty like that out there and they are reason why a lot of people out there don't bother helping anymore.

Apart from that, have fun. There is nothing better than sand driving on a beautiful day.

Thanks Nanook, can't believe anyone wouldn't be thankful for being pulled out of the sand! Anyway, good suggestion, I will ask to borrow the snatch strap and shackle of the same mate I am going to ask about maxtrax - we leave tomorrow so i have left buying all of these things a little late.

Been waiting to try the sand for a while as a bit of practice before I do fraser next year and it would of course be preferable to go with another vehicle but I'm just going to give it a crack. The beaches up near point plomer are meant to be great for fishing, so I'm going to try and work that in too.

Nanook 11-09-2017 02:54 PM

Most though are genuinely thankful but it can become frustrating when the person you are helping doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

Unfortunately there are some real idiots out there that honestly seem to think that you are obliged to help them.I've come across a few as I spend most of my off roading on sand. These are the ones that think a RAV4 or a Subaru Forester are more than suitable for soft sand or don't air down because they don't have a compressor.

I used to help everyone that needed it but now will only help those that have tried to do the right thing in the first place.

Maxx traxx and a shovel will get yourself out of all but the most dire of circumstances. I travel on beaches by myself all the time and have never had to need anything else.

I also carry an air jack but I've never had to use it. I also have at least one ratchet strap in case I peel a tyre off the rim but if you stick to going to no lower than 12 psi and avoid sharp turns, you would have to be very unlucky to do so.

Sand driving isn't that difficult and is awesome fun. On Soft sand go down to around 16psi but don't be afraid to go lower if you do become stuck.

Taprod 11-09-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1619678)
Most though are genuinely thankful but it can become frustrating when the person you are helping doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

Unfortunately there are some real idiots out there that honestly seem to think that you are obliged to help them.I've come across a few as I spend most of my off roading on sand. These are the ones that think a RAV4 or a Subaru Forester are more than suitable for soft sand or don't air down because they don't have a compressor.

I used to help everyone that needed it but now will only help those that have tried to do the right thing in the first place.

Maxx traxx and a shovel will get yourself out of all but the most dire of circumstances. I travel on beaches by myself all the time and have never had to need anything else.

I also carry an air jack but I've never had to use it. I also have at least one ratchet strap in case I peel a tyre off the rim but if you stick to going to no lower than 12 psi and avoid sharp turns, you would have to be very unlucky to do so.

Sand driving isn't that difficult and is awesome fun. On Soft sand go down to around 16psi but don't be afraid to go lower if you do become stuck.

Cheers mate. I figured that the maxtracks, a shovel and airing down would cover most of it off. I will also pick up a bow shackle and hitch receiver for the rear - I don't have front recovery points yet but from what I hear, reversing out is often the best method anyway.

Nanook 11-09-2017 04:32 PM

Momentum is the key but if you do get stuck. STOP. Do not try and accelerate out. You will just make youself harder to dig out LOL.

Try reversing a metre or so then go forward again. 9 times out of 10 this all you need to get yourself moving again.

lujabe 11-09-2017 05:37 PM

Also worth mentioning, with all the electrickery in 4x4's these days, be aware that traction control is not your friend in sand. It will brake the wheels that spin, which in soft sand is all of them... In the Cherokee, hit sand in the wrong mode without traction control turned off and it'll embarrass you and stop/bog pretty much immediately - The press of a button or two and the capability of the vehicle is transformed - so I'd recommend brushing up on how it all works in your vehicle.

Grippy 11-09-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lujabe (Post 1619688)
Also worth mentioning, with all the electrickery in 4x4's these days, be aware that traction control is not your friend in sand. It will brake the wheels that spin, which in soft sand is all of them... In the Cherokee, hit sand in the wrong mode without traction control turned off and it'll embarrass you and stop/bog pretty much immediately - The press of a button or two and the capability of the vehicle is transformed - so I'd recommend brushing up on how it all works in your vehicle.

My mate found this out in his new FJ Cruiser, traction and other rubbish all turned on and she bogs down and stops moving all together, haha

Sent from under my Grand Cherokee

Tyvokka 11-09-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1619679)
Cheers mate. I figured that the maxtracks, a shovel and airing down would cover most of it off. I will also pick up a bow shackle and hitch receiver for the rear - I don't have front recovery points yet but from what I hear, reversing out is often the best method anyway.

Front recovery points are essential IMHO.

Taprod 11-09-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyvokka (Post 1619692)
Front recovery points are essential IMHO.

Yeah, I really need to get around to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanook 12-09-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lujabe (Post 1619688)

Good Point.

I forgot about this. I automatically turn it off in the Wrangler without even thinking about it. I've never had it bog me but it's a pain having the power sapped when you are trying to keep moving in really soft sand.

Taprod 12-09-2017 11:23 AM

Pretty sure in sand mode in the grand it turns off anyway, but great point and I'll make sure to be sure!

Tyvokka 12-09-2017 11:39 AM

I'm pretty sure you'd need a permit which can be bought at:

Port Mac
Laurieton
Wauchope

http://www.pmhc.nsw.gov.au/Facilitie...les-on-Beaches

davidjohnporter1 13-09-2017 02:10 PM

Can I hijack this discussion. Also a sand newbie, going to Fraser next week. I have 20 inch rims 50 profile tyres, lovingly specced by the sales man - I didn't know better. The tyre man is suggesting not going below 22psi or you run the risk of damaging sidewall / rim / rolling the tyre off.
Anyone had experience or tips - short of buying a set of 18s in the next week along with everything else i need... ??
Ta in advance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mace1 13-09-2017 02:40 PM

I would say he was referring to highway driving?

18psi seems to be the go. Negligible benifit going lower as there is no/limited longer footprint size for you to gain as the sidewall on your 20's cant balloon much.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/20-in...and-67087.html

Nanook 13-09-2017 02:58 PM

I agree with Mace1, with those profile tyres go down to around 18 and see how you go. If you are constantly getting stuck go down another 2 psi but don't go any lower for any length of time and avoid sharp turns.

My best advice other than go to a smaller rim is to carry a ratchet strap. If you do peel a tyre off the rim put the strap around the circumference of the tyre, strap tight and use your compressor to re-seat the bead while the rim is still on the vehicle.

Carrying an air jack is good for helping with this as well as it's not as dangerous if you need to use a standard or high lift jack on sand.

Taprod 13-09-2017 03:04 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I've made sure to pack -

Maxtrax
Deflator
Tow hitch/bow shackle

And will but myself a snatch strap when I get to port Macquarie, I'm hoping to be fine and not to need most of this stuff (deflator aside obviously) but will post some pics to prove I got there!

davidjohnporter1 13-09-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1619822)
I agree with Mace1, with those profile tyres go down to around 18 and see how you go. If you are constantly getting stuck go down another 2 psi but don't go any lower for any length of time and avoid sharp turns.

My best advice other than go to a smaller rim is to carry a ratchet strap. If you do peel a tyre off the rim put the strap around the circumference of the tyre, strap tight and use your compressor to re-seat the bead while the rim is still on the vehicle.

Carrying an air jack is good for helping with this as well as it's not as dangerous if you need to use a standard or high lift jack on sand.

Great - thanks both. I have those items so will do that if worst comes to bear.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Struth 13-09-2017 09:03 PM

Since I can't always operate a Hilift anymore, thanks Nanook, you just reminded me I must get one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1619822)

I remember seeing a bloke in a Hilux getting himself out of all manner of situations using a single air jack and nothing else, in record time!
They require no physical input to operate, are really cheap, light weight and take virtually no storage space. I do wonder why everyone's not packing them.

At the risk of hijacking this topic, is there a downside to the use of air jacks?

Tyvokka 14-09-2017 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1619823)
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I've made sure to pack -

Maxtrax
Deflator
Tow hitch/bow shackle

And will but myself a snatch strap when I get to port Macquarie, I'm hoping to be fine and not to need most of this stuff (deflator aside obviously) but will post some pics to prove I got there!

Dont forget to inflate :D

Nanook 14-09-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Struth (Post 1619854)

At the risk of hijacking this topic, is there a downside to the use of air jacks?

Not that I can think of. Besides recovery tracks, they are the best option for getting yourself out of deep sand especially if you have bogged it to the chassis.

You just jack the car up and fill in the holes left by the tyres and lower it back down.

Taprod 14-09-2017 12:56 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f546c119d7.jpg

Made it

lujabe 14-09-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Struth (Post 1619854)

This isn't so much a downside, but something to be aware of... not sure about the Wranglers, but a lot of the Jeep 'wagons' have dual exhaust outlets and several small holes in various places (by design). In mine there's no way I can get the pressure to inflate a jack with the exhaust - an air compressor attachment is a must.

Taprod 15-09-2017 05:46 PM

Tips for a sand driving noob

Thanks everyone for the tips. Been on the beach 2 of the 3 days we've been here so far and really enjoyed it. Haven't been in any sort of trouble but have learned a fair bit.

On north beach today the tide was in, so I was in the soft stuff a fair bit til I got to the end of the beach.

Exiting the beach was up a steep, very sandy track but I got up there first time by picking the right line and keeping on the loud pedal. From what I saw, I was the only person to get off the beach first time.

For those who love mud and big puddles, the back road that follows the beach must be and absolute wonderland when it has been raining. I reckon there would have been 15+ massive potential puddles that you'd need a snorkel to get through if it has been raining.

Had heaps of fun and am going to try and hit the beach at least once more before we go home

Jason555 28-10-2017 06:08 AM

There are many useful tips here! Thanks for sharing guys!

jamesthomas455 18-05-2018 11:16 PM

Looks like you guys just improve my knowledge regarding driving in the sand.
just one little question do suspension lift kit do any good in sandy areas?

Nanook 19-05-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesthomas455 (Post 1634019)
Looks like you guys just improve my knowledge regarding driving in the sand.
just one little question do suspension lift kit do any good in sandy areas?

It works the same as it does for bush driving, it gives you more flex in dunes. It also allows you to fit bigger tyres which then lifts your diffs higher giving you more clearance.

timsarg 16-11-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1634024)
It works the same as it does for bush driving, it gives you more flex in dunes. It also allows you to fit bigger tyres which then lifts your diffs higher giving you more clearance.

it doesn't give you anymore flex, it just gives you more clearance