AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Chrysler recalls 2006 to 2010 Commanders (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125160)

Wanderer 12-05-2013 09:00 AM

Chrysler recalls 2006 to 2010 Commanders

(AAP May 12, 2013 12:55AM)

Chrysler recalls almost 470,000 Jeep 4WDs

CHRYSLER is recalling 469,000 Jeep four-wheel drives worldwide because they can shift into neutral without warning on startup.

The recall affects 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees and 2006 to 2010 Commanders.

US safety regulators say cracks in a circuit board can cause a faulty signal as the 4WDs are being started. If the vehicles shift into neutral they can roll away.

Chrysler says the problem has caused 26 crashes and two injuries.

Chrysler will notify owners and dealers will update software to take care of the problem.

Chrysler found cracks in a circuit board that turns the four-wheel-drive system on and off.

Repairs will be made at no cost.

The recall covers 295,000 vehicles in the US, 28,500 in Canada, and 4,200 in Mexico. The remaining 141,000 are outside North America.

Read Article: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226640060150

Hoboken 12-05-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks for letting us all know Wanderer.
I'm curious to know how a software update will fix a cracked circuit board?
Also curious to know how, or if, this software update will affect my GDE flash tune?
Thanks
Dave T

Hoboken 12-05-2013 11:49 AM

In fact I'd like to know what happens to my GDE tune whenever the dealer applies any updates, anyone got any experience on this, do you reload your GDE tune from time to time? Or do dealer updates simply map into the GDE programming? Guess it depends on what is updated!
Thanks

Wanderer 12-05-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken (Post 1381164)
I'm curious to know how a software update will fix a cracked circuit board?

Me too..but that's Jurnos for you...Be a costly exercise to replace all those circuit boards. The sofware fix probably is to just stop the false shift into Neutral but software fixing a cracked circuit board???..Now that'll be magic!!!Who ever did the press release obviously isn't a Tech Head or is this just the old BS baffles brains trick...Definitely needs more sussing out...Interresting indeed.

Wanderer 12-05-2013 10:10 PM

This is the latest LemonAuto.com has to say...No mention of a cracked board only if an electrical fault..Is that Jeep speak for not replacing the board now but a software update just in case it may crack....What happens if the board cracks in future???..Hmmmmm....do we pay now out of warranty???...Probably and expensive!!!

Jeep Commander Recall Information

NEWS: Chrysler is recalling certain 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2006-2010 Jeep Commander vehicles
Report Receipt Date: MAY 07, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V175000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected: 295,345

MAY 2013 -- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured February 11, 2004, through March 9, 2010; and 2006-2010 Jeep Commander vehicles manufactured January 31, 2005, through March 10, 2010. A transfer case electrical failure may result in an unintentional shifting of the transfer case into the neutral position. If the vehicle shifts into neutral, it may roll away increasing the risk of a crash or personal injury. Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will reflash the final drive controller which governs the transfer case, with new software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in June 2013. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N23

Shrubby 02-06-2013 12:24 AM

Hi,

I rang jeep/chrysler australia about it the other day, and they ask for your engine number, within seconds he told me that it had 3 upgrades (modules with previous owner). When I queried the power train fault he told me that there was no further recall notices. I supose it's dependant on the engine number...

Wanderer 02-06-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrubby (Post 1386675)
Hi,

I rang jeep/chrysler australia about it the other day, and they ask for your engine number, within seconds he told me that it had 3 upgrades (modules with previous owner). When I queried the power train fault he told me that there was no further recall notices. I supose it's dependant on the engine number...

Scrubby: Could be some of our export models are OK....Not saying they are wrong though I have heard (hearsay) reports about "dodgy" information being given out in the past....I haven't heard of anyone having this particular transmission problem here.... Must be someting in it though: http://www.caradvice.com.au/230845/j...alled-locally/ (May 13th, 2013) are saying that Quote: "5000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander models have been recalled in Australia for a fault relating to the SUVs’ transmission."..The old saying "Where there is smoke there usually is fire"...Have a read and decide if you want to check it out further.