AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Next gen Wrangler (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112166)

jim7777777 08-01-2012 03:10 AM

Next gen Wrangler

Have been reading a Euro Car magazine that has an article about the new generation Defender.

Apparently it will be independent suspension all-around.

A new gen Wrangler is due in a couple of years.

Will Jeep make a call to chase better on road performance and go with IFS? (or all round IS?)

When I purchased my Wrangler, I narrowed my choice down to the Defender or the Wrangler and a big part of that was having live axles front and rear.

Can you have that bullet-proof, easily modified, off-road performance with an independent suspension vehicle???

jklad 08-01-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim7777777 (Post 1251211)
...Can you have that bullet-proof, easily modified, off-road performance with an independent suspension vehicle???

The military H1 Hummer (not the H3 & H4 which are based on Chevy pick-ups) has 4-wheel independant suspension, but had to overcome some serious design hurdles to achieve the amount of wheel travel stipulated by the military.

Because the pinion angles on the driveshafts would be too great using a conventional set-up, they had to put on really long control arms to reduce the angles on the shafts and mount them to a narrow central box frame (similar in design principals to those dune buggy racers you see that run independant rear ends). It's the reason why the Military H1s are so wide externally but also have so little internal space (even the civilian versions of these huge beasts are only 4 seaters), because there is a great big box frame sticking right up in the middle, running the length of the vehicle from diff to diff.

So I'm guessing if the new generaton Wrangler were to lose the solid axles (or even just the front one) but stay near to it's current dimensions and chassis design then there would be some loss of wheel travel over the currently produced model, and the scope for lifting & modifying the suspension & increasing its travel would be limited far more than it currently is.

superchicken 08-01-2012 06:33 AM

IFS on a wrangler? Blasphemy!

yetiboy01 08-01-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jklad (Post 1251214)
The military H1 Hummer (not the H3 & H4 which are based on Chevy pick-ups) has 4-wheel independant suspension, but had to overcome some serious design hurdles to achieve the amount of wheel travel stipulated by the military.

Because the pinion angles on the driveshafts would be too great using a conventional set-up, they had to put on really long control arms to reduce the angles on the shafts and mount them to a narrow central box frame (similar in design principals to those dune buggy racers you see that run independant rear ends). It's the reason why the Military H1s are so wide externally but also have so little internal space (even the civilian versions of these huge beasts are only 4 seaters), because there is a great big box frame sticking right up in the middle, running the length of the vehicle from diff to diff.

So I'm guessing if the new generaton Wrangler were to lose the solid axles (or even just the front one) but stay near to it's current dimensions and chassis design then there would be some loss of wheel travel over the currently produced model, and the scope for lifting & modifying the suspension & increasing its travel would be limited far more than it currently is.

Humvee still has bugger all wheel travel, it gets buy by dropping the tyre pressures & running double locked, any videos you see of the Humvee shows them lifting wheels all the time over small obstacles that even a stock wrangler with disconnects wouldn't lift a wheel on, the desert racer buggys have a completely different set up with huge long travel shocks over 3 to 4 feet long, not something you could fit to a standard vehicle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveFSJ 08-01-2012 12:36 PM

The new Patrol due next year is all IFS as well, what's the world coming too? Theyre designing the next generation of fourbys around the cosmetic using, chest waxing, latte sipping, man-bag wearing, image conscious, metrosexual men that is the majority of generation Y!

bundy69 08-01-2012 01:28 PM

IFS and jeep wrangler in the same sentence we need to wash our mouths out with soap

humdingerslammer 08-01-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveFSJ (Post 1251323)
The new Patrol due next year is all IFS as well, what's the world coming too? Theyre designing the next generation of fourbys around the cosmetic using, chest waxing, latte sipping, man-bag wearing, image conscious, metrosexual men that is the majority of generation Y!

Crikey... don't you like "cosmetic using, chest waxing, latte sipping, man-bag wearing, image conscious, metrosexual men". Why can't they drive Jeeps? Women do. I guess you think this is OK as long as the women are those with hairy lips and chins, don't shave their legs, wear tight men's shorts and jeans, have a beer guts, can knock back a bottle of JB with the boys, swear like the bejesus and are built like brick shithouses. If you do like women who fit this description, r u sure you aren't attracted to men?