AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   WK2 Pentastar engine damage and REPLACEMENT (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114335)

art_key 19-03-2012 10:08 PM

WK2 Pentastar engine damage and REPLACEMENT

Guys,

This morning I started our 3.6 Pentastar and it came alive with a 10 second rattle. When I engaged gear the rattle went and I thought it may have been something temporary. However on driving off and accelerating I notice the rattle becoming louder. It came and went. At idle with the bonnet open the rattle was steady.

I passed my dealer on the way to work and let them check it out. They acknowledged that it was probably not wise to keep driving it for now. Suspecting a ruptured timing belt.

After inspection it was NOT a pulley or the timing belt and it is now suggested that it's internal. My dealer has suggested with Chrysler Australia that the engine needs replacement.

Mind you we've had the car for 8 weeks and we've only done 3000kms. Bought the car new with only 28kms on the clock.

My dealer does not have a loan car available and they're waiting for Chrysler Australia to authorise one. I've tried calling Chrysler myself and their customer service team is 2 man strong. Unbelievable.

We'll see how this is going to finish.:hammer:

briteway 19-03-2012 10:22 PM

:( Ooooooh, this ain't good to hear. How common are these issues with the CRD's, what do the dealers say? Or is it too early to tell.

yetiboy01 19-03-2012 10:37 PM

Similar thing happend to my 3.8, turned out to be a bent conrod due to the small end seizing up, scored the bore badly, wore away half the piston & sounded like a diesel when it was running, Jeep replaced the engine, took 2 weeks once I got around to dropping it off at Jeep, (took me 25,000 klm's before i took it in from when the rattle started) they did a great job in replacing the engine, but same story no loan car, but lucky wasn't an issue as the CJ was running then

Hope your dealers as good as the one that replaced my engine in Brisbane

Sent from
yetiboy01's iPhone using Tapatalk

pmac 20-03-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briteway (Post 1271424)
:( Ooooooh, this ain't good to hear. How common are these issues with the CRD's, what do the dealers say? Or is it too early to tell.

This one's the 6 cyl petrol.

briteway 20-03-2012 08:32 AM

Ah, yes. The new V6's. Let's see how these engines prove themselves. The old inline 6's were indestructible.

Mark RMX450 20-03-2012 11:12 AM

I had a similar issue with my WK2 GC 3.6, however it was the harmonic balancer. Took Jeep 3 weeks to get the part and as with you, no loan car available.
The Jeep customer service is a joke.

Good luck with the engine issues - maybe see if they can drop in the hemi instead. :)

Savvas 20-03-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art_key (Post 1271419)
Guys,

This morning I started our 3.6 Pentastar and it came alive with a 10 second rattle. When I engaged gear the rattle went and I thought it may have been something temporary. However on driving off and accelerating I notice the rattle becoming louder. It came and went. At idle with the bonnet open the rattle was steady.

I passed my dealer on the way to work and let them check it out. They acknowledged that it was probably not wise to keep driving it for now. Suspecting a ruptured timing belt.

After inspection it was NOT a pulley or the timing belt and it is now suggested that it's internal. My dealer has suggested with Chrysler Australia that the engine needs replacement.

Mind you we've had the car for 8 weeks and we've only done 3000kms. Bought the car new with only 28kms on the clock.

My dealer does not have a loan car available and they're waiting for Chrysler Australia to authorise one. I've tried calling Chrysler myself and their customer service team is 2 man strong. Unbelievable.

We'll see how this is going to finish.:hammer:

There is a TSB issued in Nov 11 about engine replacements for some 3.6 Pentastar engines in 2012 model year JGC's due to quality issues. It might be related...

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900611.pdf

If you've only had yours since January, then it's feasible that it was getting out of the factory and onto a ship just before this TSB was issued.