AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   No Bus Error - Engine does not shut off (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156867)

cnd_eh 13-12-2019 07:55 AM

No Bus Error - Engine does not shut off

Has anyone come across a no bus error that caused the engine to keep running when the key was removed? The only way I could get the jeep to shut off was to pull the fuel pump.

I was 2 blocks from my house when the no bus error presented itself. The jeep ran as normal but with no gauges, radio and the no bus error in the info screen under the speedometer. When I reached the front of my house and tried to shut it off I turned and removed the key and the jeep kept running. It ran for a few minutes until I pulled the fuse to starve it of fuel. I have not tried to start the jeep back up, I disconnected the battery completely so it could hopefully reset what ever caused that.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

relwell 13-12-2019 08:42 AM

Have you installed anything recently or is this out of the blue?

Something electrical, maybe have a quick peek under the steering wheel for any shorts?

cnd_eh 13-12-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relwell (Post 1655604)
Have you installed anything recently or is this out of the blue?

Something electrical, maybe have a quick peek under the steering wheel for any shorts?

Out of the blue. It's dark outside now, I will check under the dash in the morning. It was a normal drive home from work, no offroading or anything that could jar something loose.

Jonny Jeep 13-12-2019 06:15 PM

My TJ is pre-canbus so I wouldn't get a no bus message, but I had a similar thing happen in Feb.
In short, the ASD relay was sticking. Longer version below...

After rebuilding my engine I drove home from work, and upon arrival the engine kept running with the key removed. Knowing it won't run without fuel and spark I thought a relay was sticking. Even if the fuel pump relay was staying on, I figured loss of spark from the ASD relay switching off would have stopped the engine. With that in mind I went to lift the hood but as soon as I did the engine stopped.

Swapped relays about with the horn relay and all tested ok. All relays were put back in original positions and multiple start stops were fine.

The very next day The engine continued running again. This time I got to pull the ASD relay and it stopped the engine immediately. I swapped it with the horn relay, figuring I could live with the horn sounding continously if necessary. As soon as I had a new relay, I broke open my old ASD relay and the contacts looked black and had obviously been sticking.

cnd_eh 13-12-2019 11:35 PM

I will definitely swap out the relay to see if that helps, Thanks.

Today I inspected all the connections and everything looked fine. I pulled the codes off and got these:

P0513 - Powertrain
Incorrect Irnmobilizer Key

P0633 - Powertrain

B2AAA - Body - I tried two different scanners and I can not read what the actual code should be.

I started the vehicle and sure enough it ran for less than a minutes and switched off. I cleared the codes and the jeep fired right back up and ran in the driveway for a few minutes until I shut it off.

A bad ignition switch maybe?

relwell 16-12-2019 05:26 AM

Have had a look and seems like people have luck with a battery reset as well. Just trying the free stuff before you start throwing money at it!

Nanook 16-12-2019 10:12 AM

It sounds like it may be an issue with the key transponder itself.

It might be a long shot but change the battery in your keys and see if that helps.