AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK Patriot (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Patriot off roading ability (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113572)

dammit 21-02-2012 07:51 PM

Patriot off roading ability

Can someone tell me what the off roading ability of the patriot is like?

I am looking at a 4x4 Auto (CVT) 2012 model.

Obviously it is not going to get as many places etc as a Cherokee or above, but for someone doing 98% city driving and maybe 2% off roading, would it suffice?

I really want the ability to get the barge over to stradbroke/moreton/fraser, and drive around on the beach tracks there. Would the patriot handle this?

I'm not concerned if a patriot could not get everywhere on an island, on every track, etc, so long as it could do the very basic ones so there was at least something to do and I could then do a little bit of exploring...

I am not mechanically minded but from what I understand is that the Patriot has a 'digital/computerised' system which uses the lower ratios etc when needed but no actual mechanical/hardware based 'low range' or 'transfer case' ?? Sorry, I'll stop now before I embarass myself!

Paul-JK 16-03-2012 06:24 PM

Can't speak directly for the Patriot exactly as I've not owned one but I used to have an X-Trail that is a similar style of car with similar capabilities.

I think it would be more than capable of doing the things you mention. It's small and light and especially with the CVT it will be great on the sand. The CVT also helps make up a little for a lack of low range, at least in terms of climbing hills if not going back down them, but it'll have HDC for this if you care to use it. Fire trails etc are all perfectly achievable as long as you're careful with wheel placement and for times when you do lift a wheel (and you will quite often!) you've got traction control and you can lock the centre diff.

I had a ball punting the X-Trail around tracks. It teaches you about good wheel placement and gives you real a sense of achievement when you get through. I personally hated the CVT but equally I know plenty of people who like them so it's really a personal thing. This style of car certainly have their limitations but driven with a little care they'll get you much further than you (or a lot of other people) will expect. The one thing I'd advise is invest in some good under body protection before anything else. I did and it paid for itself a hundred times over.

layback40 16-03-2012 07:35 PM

I am sure it would go any place an EH Holden ute with winter treads would go !! Maybe a few other places as well !! LOL

garbonzo 24-03-2012 01:21 AM

You'll be fine. I've got the 2010 Patriot with CVT and while I don't push it to extremes...it handles the average goat trail brilliantly. This is from a former Forester owner. Can't compare it with current Foresters...but the Patriot handles miles better in the bush than my old one and the Patriot suspension is excellent/outstanding. I'll give the Forester better lugging up steep hills...and coming down them too. Don't forget you can slip the Patriot into a semi-manual transmission mode and in the lowest 'gear' it does ok downhill - if not all that competently - you'll be feathering the brakes. A little practice with it and you'll get the technique down well enough. Wrangler or Cherokee it isn't, but it costs a lot less, has heaps of room, will do reasonable trailing, and looks great. Not to mention a really good drive in town too.

Easy Rollins 1 02-04-2012 09:37 PM

Forget it on the deep sand tracks,without more ground clearance and low range you'll be bellied out in no time.

X-Trails are bad for this,despite having low range.Trying to get off the beach though deep sand tracks made by "real" 4wds will see you stuck.Stick to dirt roads and stay off the beach.

stooged 02-04-2012 09:58 PM

Not sure the x-trail has low range well my 2.5 litre one doesn't in fact the desire to not trash the family car is what lead me to getting an xj , and the desire for a capable vehicle without the age issues lead me to a jk. Sound like the idea of doing a little offroading has out weighted the ability of a patriot. I am sure a talented driver could achieve what you want to with a patriot. The only alternative I can see is get a kk cherokee or a jk cherokee. I would love it I could be proved wrong. I am trying to talk the missus into getting her own jeep as the x trail is almost at 100k.

Mangler 03-04-2012 09:11 PM

invest in some recovery points front and rear on the Patriot....you will need to gun it up to get off the beach but I have done it on Noosa Nth Shore in a Rav 4...as Paul said it makes for some fun...
It's a light vehicle which is a bonus in sand and makes recovery easier for when it goes pear shaped ;)