AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Jeep xj 2.5 TD low on power. (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161470)

Chris 89 05-05-2023 05:09 AM

Jeep xj 2.5 TD low on power.

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have recently brought a 2001, 60th anniversary edition xj. It is the 2.5 TD. You can't seem to get much information on the engine in the UK so I thought I would try on here. It's probably been covered on here somewhere but the issue I am having with it , is the loss of power. It's like the turbo isn't coming in at all. I have replaced injector 1. As that was faulty , replaced the throttle pedal replaced the map sensor and have reset the ECU 3 times and checked the intercooler pipes and it's still the same. The next thing I'm going to look at is the intercooler itself and maybe the actuator arm. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I should be looking at? Thanks

layback40 05-05-2023 10:12 AM

Welcome to the group.
Changing the fuel filter may help.
Did you test the replacement injector (under 120 ohms) ?
Does it loose power above a certain revs?
Have you checked for codes?
Have you block off the EGR yet? They can fail internally & cause all sorts of problems like this.
Is the turbo waste gate jammed open or the actuator broken?

amlav 05-05-2023 04:02 PM

https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum...12#post1644712

Have a look at the link above to see how to check injector number 1.
Pretty much what Layback sugested but you are on the right track anyway .
Cheers and welcome to the forum .

Chris 89 05-05-2023 04:08 PM

Yes I tested the new injector and that is good. I'm going to change the filter today. I have tried reading the codes with the tool that I have but I'm not sure it reads it properly, But There isn't any warning lights on the dash either. The little arm moves on the egr when you suck on the pipe so I was thinking that's ok. I will have a look for the blanking kit tho. I need to look at the actuator on the turbo. I was thinking of putting a vacuum to the pipe and hopefully nill be able to see the arm moving.

Chris 89 05-05-2023 04:15 PM

Sorry it doesn't lose power at certain revs. It's just like it all the time. Ticks over fine and revs up fine when stationary.

FARWEST 05-05-2023 04:57 PM

Any leak in the intercooler or charge pipe will be VERY audible...like a 'whoooosh'....it doesnt sound like an intercooler issue.....the wizards will lead you down the correct path...turbo actuator at a stab....but....that may not be your issue....welcome & ENJOY

amlav 05-05-2023 10:51 PM

When stationary engine usualy can rev up no problem but under load it behaves slugish if something is wrong .
Blocking the egr valve will give it a few more horse power but don't expect miracles .
If injector 1 doesn't work properly than engine (under driving condition)will hardly rev up above 1800-2000 rpm (limp mode) and there would not be any dashboard light showing a fault.
Check the turbo by removing the hose and feel the turbo fan with your fingers if moves freely with no side play . If ok go to the actuator and check for free movement than check intercooler and hoses for cracks .
Turbo won't kick in only when driving (under load) and rpm is above 1800 rpm . You should hear it if listening for a wistle like sound (turbo fan reving up ) . Let us know . cheers