AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Engine Warning Light (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112692)

willow254 23-01-2012 10:45 AM

Engine Warning Light

I have a 2007 Jeep Cherokee 2.8L D 64000km which I am getting an engine warning light and appears to be reduced turbo boost. The vehicle has been blowing some smoke on acceleration for some time and when inspected by the Jeep service agent they did an injector clean and the diagnostics which suggested an exhaust leak. After some investigation I noted that the hose from the airbox to the turbo was baddly perished at the turbo so I replaced it. 1 week after replacing it that is when the engine warning light started to sparatically appear. I had it back to the agent and they advised me that the turbo required replacing $6700 and other work for the exhaust leak would need to be performed. Not liking the idea of this cost I had the vehicle inspected by another mechanic and they replaced the manifold gasket which was badly leaking and all was great for a couple of days but now I am down on boost again and the engine warning light has appearred again. I do not have the exhaust leak noise that I previously had and everything seems to be running smooth. I am not happy that a suggested turbo replacement at 64000km? Does anyone have some suggestions? Where do I go to from here?
signed NOT HAPPY

Mopud 23-01-2012 02:33 PM

Willow,

With the CEL (check engine light) flashing sporadically does it at all stay on permanently or does it flash periodically then go off altogether?

I question if you've done an error code check to see what the computer is reporting. Admittedly i don't know of the diagnostic procedure for your model cherokee but i'm sure we can find it.

Dealerships will charge you in excess for anything and everything they do so considering your vehicle is out of warranty i'd consider having the work done elsewhere. I see you're in townsville - perhaps one of the QLD forum members knows of a reputable Jeep mechanic you can take it to for another look.

I would consider a second hand turbo from a Jeep wrecker, i blieve there is one in QLD who may help or we have B&T Jeep Sales here in Perth who may have one. From there any mechanic would be able to replace it for your at a fraction of the cost i'm sure. Perhaps your turbo could be rebuilt?

Mopud

Billnick 23-01-2012 03:21 PM

I suggest you move your query to the JK section, somebody there might have an answer. I know myself, I don't always look at every post in other sections, just the XJ.

kj69 23-01-2012 03:29 PM

just moved it for you

TassieTJ 23-01-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billnick (Post 1255948)
I suggest you move your query to the JK section, somebody there might have an answer. I know myself, I don't always look at every post in other sections, just the XJ.

I think the KJ section would suit better ?
Seeing you have one eh ?

Macca2801 23-01-2012 04:00 PM

Mate just clarify, do you have a CRD JK Wrangler or a CRD Cherokee? You sig says JK and your post says Chero and they are two totally different engines! Let's get this sorted and then there are two different groups that can give you heaps of advice depending what engine you are talking about.
Matt

davidd 23-01-2012 04:20 PM

mate if you have a jk crd wranger a garrett turbo replacement costs around $1500 and with perhaps $500 labour to drop the exhaust and fit the replacemnt turbo , you would be up for about $2000 total. don't know what the $6700 quote was about. seems a bit excessive to me. you certainly need to visit a quality aftermarket diesel workshop mate and have it sorted.