AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107124)

Kel 30-06-2011 08:21 PM

Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!!

I am a tad confused and concerned after my partner was driving the XJ to work this morning and lost steering at 90 - 100 kph, yes, it did scare the *&$# out of her, and yes she was extremely lucky not to hit anything as she brought the car to a stop. The car was towed home by the RAA.... Thanks guys :) Further investigation found that all 3 bolts holding the steering box on had sheared off about halfway down the thread. Has anyone heard of this happening before??? If so, how does it happen and how do I stop it from happening again??

All help/suggestions welcome

kj69 30-06-2011 08:26 PM

more info on the xj might help is it stock,what year is it,?

Hamsteh 30-06-2011 08:36 PM

Had the same thing happen to me while pulling into my driveway, glad to hear no one was hurt mate - can understand how scary that would be.

There was a recall for my model (most likely yours) a few years back. Call Jeep and ask them to check if you had the work done (they'll have your VIN recorded). If not I believe they install some form of spacer between steering box and body rails.

Mine supposingly HAD had the recall performed but was missing the spacer so get them to look at it. I haven't had any problems since but you can be sure that I check those bolts fairly regularly since what usually happens is one gets loose and as a result the other two cannot take the strain and fail.

Kel 30-06-2011 08:56 PM

The Xj is a 96 Limited, all stock standard, but it is running 30" tyres. (wouldn't think they would be a problem though)

TheOoz 01-07-2011 05:41 AM

This is a known issue on the XJ. Mine is a 1995 limited, and I had the same thing occur about 3 years ago now. It was fixed by Chrysler under warranty.

There are many threads about it on this site, so do a quick search if you want more info. To summarise them, the chassis rail that the steering box is bolted to can flex (not properly engineered when they designed the right hand drive version), and over time this flexing softens the steel. High tensile bolts are not designed to flex so at some stage they snap in half. Have a look, it is impressive.

The dealers did a "check" when a recall was introduced a long time ago, but if your XJ passed the "check" it was never looked at again - but the problem becomes worse over time. So the warranty recall check had been done on my XJ, it passed, so they left the time bomb on the road until it finally failed.

ring your local dealer and explain the problem. You should have no issue having them repair it under the factory recall. They weld plates around the chassis and then re-assmble. An expensive job for them, free for you. they should have engineered it properly in the first place.

Billnick 01-07-2011 07:08 AM

Can one presume it was fixed on the '98??? or do I drive around expecting any moment to spear off into a tree??? Bit worrying.

Bill

TheOoz 01-07-2011 10:02 AM

the issue related to the pre-update, and a 98 is the update model. I have not heard of any issues after 96 as the cost for the repair would have been very high for Jeep too!

My bolts broke incrementally when backing out of the driveway I heard one go - a big bang. I then realised something was wrong, inspected it, and found the steering box wobbling back and forth with a few bolts still holding it. I then was showing a mate who got under the car as I moved the steering wheel back and forth - and that is when it let go.

Needless to say the resulting action of my mates sphincter chomped an enormous hole in his underpants. This was followed by hysterical laughter from me when we realised there were no injuries - just a shock.

And it remains one of the all time great fire side stories.

DriftR 01-07-2011 10:43 AM

damn i better check mine out..
i've found numerous loose bolts in the engine bay lately

Rosie 01-07-2011 11:09 AM

I had the same issue on my XJ when i was wheeling one day. My repair was huge because of the bullbar and winch and all but even with a 5" lift and 33"s they didn't question it.

I wouldnt buy another XJ unless it had been done or if not i'd be getting it in for the recall straight away.

Nakkas 01-07-2011 12:01 PM

Lost my steering in the KMart carpark. It's a bugger getting the broken bits out of the box....

Billnick 01-07-2011 04:28 PM

This seems to be a serious problem and I'm thinking it should be in the STICKY section. If I had a pre-update I would have liked to have known about it sooner.

Bill

xj jorg 05-07-2011 08:12 AM

Mine is a post date 98 and I had just had mine repaired for serious cracks.Had notice some noise and steering wobble.Was checking rod ends,panhard ball joints and whatever else than looked up and noticed the cracks between the steer box bolts and also along the bottom edge of chassis rail.Took to a panel beater who repaired it and he also found cracks under the sway bar mounts as well.Was cracked really bad in places.I run 32s and 4.5 lift.Rang the dealership who said all recalls were done on mine but did also find the recall code on the net which said the recall for that issue ended August last year.Updates are prone to the problem as well.

xjrob 05-07-2011 10:49 AM

This very reason is why I ordered this from Wooders

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...Steering_Brake

rainman 05-07-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjrob (Post 1202821)
this very reason is why i ordered this from wooders

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...steering_brake

x2.........................

Big Dave 05-07-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjrob (Post 1202821)
This very reason is why I ordered this from Wooders

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...Steering_Brake

Why pay for your own kit when jeep will do it for free. Thier kit is the same type of thing only the plates also get welded to the chassis rail. I had my 96 model done in, I think it was 2008 at no cost to me, just without the thing for 3 days. There is an old thread on here somewhere. see here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...697#post791697 and here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...655#post840655 ;)

Kel 08-07-2011 09:31 PM

Current update..... my jeep is currently sitting at the local Jeep dealership waiting further inspection. Apparently the vehicle has been previously looked at/fixed under the recall (Jeep recall #723). The dealer now needs to talk to Jeep and find out whether they can do the repairs under this same recall. My thoughts are.... If it was "fixed" in the first place then it wouldnt have broken again.... as it has broken, maybe it wasnt "fixed" the first time around.

I have also spoken to customer service at Jeep Australia, who were very helpful in explaining there was two parts to the recall fix. 1) Inspection of chassis showing no cracks, then a strengthening weld was to be done. 2) if cracks were visable in the chassis then plates to be welded to chassis for strengthening.

They also mentioned that there is no expiry on the recall.

It will be interesting to hear what the dealership has to tell me early next week.

Deezelweazel 09-07-2011 04:37 AM

These bolts are hold in place with Loctite. Bolts must be replaced with fresh ones once you loosen them (Threads are precoated with kinda bluish special Loctite) or you have to reapply a coat of Loctite- otherwise, see above...

TheOoz 09-07-2011 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1203734)
I have also spoken to customer service at Jeep Australia, who were very helpful in explaining there was two parts to the recall fix. 1) Inspection of chassis showing no cracks, then a strengthening weld was to be done. 2) if cracks were visable in the chassis then plates to be welded to chassis for strengthening.

And the issue is that many, many years ago when they announced the recall a large number of XJs were checked and option 1 (at most) was carried out. But it didn't solve the problem and over time the chassis area weakens anyway. Like you, my XJ showed the first step of the recall had been done and Chrysler performed the second without question.

Probably because when i called the dealer my first comment was "how could you build a car with this fault and allow it on the road".

Mudmonster 09-07-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xj jorg (Post 1202773)
Mine is a post date 98 and I had just had mine repaired for serious cracks.Had notice some noise and steering wobble.Was checking rod ends,panhard ball joints and whatever else than looked up and noticed the cracks between the steer box bolts and also along the bottom edge of chassis rail.Took to a panel beater who repaired it and he also found cracks under the sway bar mounts as well.Was cracked really bad in places.I run 32s and 4.5 lift.Rang the dealership who said all recalls were done on mine but did also find the recall code on the net which said the recall for that issue ended August last year.Updates are prone to the problem as well.

just while we are on the subjects of cracks in XJ's,
i have noticed on all 3 XJ's i have a 98, & 2 99 models the rear shock mounts have all cracked and ripped off the floors, if you lift up the boot capret and look just behind the back seats you will notice it, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and is it an issue, i have had one of the jeeps re-welded just to be safe though.

Kel 12-07-2011 08:17 PM

Update..... Heard from my local Jeep dealer today. They have spoken with Jeep Australia and the work/repairs will be done under the recall. Parts have been ordered and now just have to wait for the car to be fixed. So far, very happy with the service and follow up from both Jeep Australia and my local dealer City Jeep - Adelaide

dozer 12-07-2011 08:42 PM

thats good to know Kel, think i'll be taking my jeep in next week for a check up.

Kel 23-07-2011 10:40 PM

New Update....... I picked the XJ up last night..... all fixed. There has been plates welded on the chassis and all looking pretty good. Steers well, no complaints about the repairs........ HOWEVER,........ I do have a complaint about a couple of other issues...... I dont understand how it happened, but I now have a broken drink holder (aftermarket type) it has been broken completely off. How you break a drink holder in the centre console while fixing the chassis rail has got me beat. Did I forget to mention that they must have forgotten to tell me they accidentally broke that. It must have also been too difficult for them to wire my spotlights back up correctly.... right hand side works, left hand side doesnt ?????? The bit that has pis*#d me off the most is that I have again had to get towed home after finding auto fluid leaking from the front of the car..... Again it must have been tooooo hard to for them to attach the transmission lines from the cooler correctly so they didnt rub on the crankshaft pulley and wear a hole in the transmission line...... Guess who's getting a phone call first thing Monday morning????? :-x :mad::mad:

tazwegion 24-07-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1207782)
I do have a complaint about a couple of other issues...... I dont understand how it happened, but I now have a broken drink holder (aftermarket type) it has been broken completely off. How you break a drink holder in the centre console while fixing the chassis rail has got me beat.

Because it gets in the way of the handbrake operation and applying a handbrake is basic workshop safety protocol for a vehicle about to have maintenance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1207782)
It must have also been too difficult for them to wire my spotlights back up correctly.... right hand side works, left hand side doesn't ?????? The bit that has pis*#d me off the most is that I have again had to get towed home after finding auto fluid leaking from the front of the car..... Again it must have been tooooo hard to for them to attach the transmission lines from the cooler correctly so they didn't rub on the crankshaft pulley and wear a hole in the transmission line......

Nobody knows your Jeep like you do, you'd have to imagine the guys at the dealership were working "under the gun" because it was a "no fee" safety recall fix, thus less time spent on your vehicle is more time available for profitable maintenance of other cars ;)

Kel 24-07-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazwegion (Post 1207898)
Because it gets in the way of the handbrake operation and applying a handbrake is basic workshop safety protocol for a vehicle about to have maintenance?

Nobody knows your Jeep like you do, you'd have to imagine the guys at the dealership were working "under the gun" because it was a "no fee" safety recall fix, thus less time spent on your vehicle is more time available for profitable maintenance of other cars ;)

It is still possible to engage the handbrake completely with the cup holder in place. If it was an issue for them, then removing 2 screws to that hold it in, shouldnt have been beyond reasonable expectation as apposed to breaking it off.

Regardless of whether they were "under the gun" or not, they still should have completed the repair properly and not done a near enough is good enough job which created another potential for a major incident. As for the "no fee", the dealer still gets reimbursed by Jeep, so the dealer is not out of pocket.

Is it becoming more obvious that I am a tad shitty with the Dealer involved?? :mad: They are probably lucky they werent open yesterday when I found the problem.... would have made for a interesting phone conversation :D

tazwegion 25-07-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1207908)
It is still possible to engage the handbrake completely with the cup holder in place. If it was an issue for them, then removing 2 screws to that hold it in, shouldn't have been beyond reasonable expectation as apposed to breaking it off.

Perhaps the apprentice doing the work didn't want to fess up (to his supervisor) regarding the damage? on the XJ's I've been looking at lately the cup holder extension felt like an encumbrance on the hand brake operation though I fully see the requirement of an otherwise non-existent feature ;)

Turismo07 04-08-2011 11:03 AM

Does anyone have pics of what this mod looks like, the metal plates, welding, etc? Does it go on both sides if the chassis (driver and passenger side)?

Cheers

ingin12 04-08-2011 01:59 PM

I have only had my Jeep for a few months. Anyone have a contact for Jeep Australia? Their website does not have a "contact us" link and my local dealer does not know about the recall. I would like to contact Jeep direct to get an answer if my '94 Cherokee Limited is covered. The steering is definitely strange, lots of free play in steering wheel, about 1-2 inches with power off.
I have a post on the subject at present, but I am a bit worried if I lose steering at 100kph.
Any help would be appreciated

Regards Ingin

Kel 05-08-2011 09:22 PM

Hi Ian,

Here is the number I was given to call if I had any further issues with mine. It is the direct line to Jeep Australia - Melb Customer Service. The lady's name is Alisha, she was very helpful. 03 9238 2634.

From what she told me, there is no expiry on the recall.

Hope this helps, any further queries let me know and I will see if I can help.

Cheers

Kel

Nige 13-08-2011 10:14 AM

Does anyone actually have a copy of the service procedure for recall 723, so that we can see what is involved in the repair.

I have a copy of the recall notice from the www.nhtsa.gov website, but the attached service procedure is missing every second page.

Cheers,
Nige

Big Dave 13-08-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turismo07 (Post 1210972)
Does anyone have pics of what this mod looks like, the metal plates, welding, etc? Does it go on both sides if the chassis (driver and passenger side)?

Cheers

I'll try and get some pics of mine, but it is basically 2 plates that are welded on either side of the chassis rail with crush tubes where the bolts pass through into the steering box.

tazwegion 17-09-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 1203734)

They also mentioned that there is no expiry on the recall.

Interestingly according to the ACCC site this recall was closed on 26th August 2010 details can be seen HERE :(

tassiecj6 17-09-2011 08:16 AM

should I check my 2000 XJ for this issue ? :(
i thought it needed a wheel alignment but it could be this problem .

Hamsteh 17-09-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1221786)
should I check my 2000 XJ for this issue ? :(
i thought it needed a wheel alignment but it could be this problem .

I think you should call your local dealer and ask about the recall, give them your VIN and see what they say. They'll either tell you to bring it in or alternatively, if they instead say not to worry, I would then check it myself (with the help of a friend). I don't have a lot of faith in dealerships ;)

Evert 21-09-2011 02:07 PM

Can anyone still post a couple of photo's of the actual cracks and the remedy that Jeeps instalels?

I've had a quick look, but I couldn't see anything. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place or if I'm just one of the lucky few taht doesn't have any cracks.

Mind you that the engine bay on the diesels is pretty cramped and that mine has mud everywhere.

Big Dave 21-09-2011 02:45 PM

Mines been fixxed & has other reovery hook brackets in the way so a photo will only confuse. Have someone turn the steering wheel back & forth while you stick your head under the front of the car looking at the 3 bolt heads of the steering box bolts in the drivers side wheel arch. You will be able to see them moving in & out with the chassis rail wall flexxing. The cracks show up in this area mostly.

Turismo07 23-09-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1222730)
Mines been fixxed & has other reovery hook brackets in the way so a photo will only confuse. Have someone turn the steering wheel back & forth while you stick your head under the front of the car looking at the 3 bolt heads of the steering box bolts in the drivers side wheel arch. You will be able to see them moving in & out with the chassis rail wall flexxing. The cracks show up in this area mostly.

Cheers for the info.

nixon 10-10-2011 10:39 PM

I had the bolts that bolt the steering box tear straight thro the chassis, to fix it I got 2 plates of 6mm stainless steel drilled the holes in the correct spots and use the plate as on both sides to sort of a support the weak point and hold the steering box back in the correct position, it's a very common issue I've heard and is obvious when you see how thin the metal for the support us. Brent

nzoliver 21-10-2011 04:08 AM

Hi all,

There was no 'check' done in NZ. It was just 'do the recall'. All plates were fitted etc as a matter of course. :)

Jeep here will still happily do them. It is a 2 day job as a Govt. vehicle inspector has to inspect the/any welding. Big job as all the front comes off. :-?

I would suggest all XJ owners call their dealers and check if the recall has been done. I do and I also tell anyone I see with a freshly imported KJ to get to the dealers and have the 2 recalls done those too!!:cool:

Have a day

Oliver:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOoz (Post 1201609)
This is a known issue on the XJ. Mine is a 1995 limited, and I had the same thing occur about 3 years ago now. It was fixed by Chrysler under warranty.

There are many threads about it on this site, so do a quick search if you want more info. To summarise them, the chassis rail that the steering box is bolted to can flex (not properly engineered when they designed the right hand drive version), and over time this flexing softens the steel. High tensile bolts are not designed to flex so at some stage they snap in half. Have a look, it is impressive.

The dealers did a "check" when a recall was introduced a long time ago, but if your XJ passed the "check" it was never looked at again - but the problem becomes worse over time. So the warranty recall check had been done on my XJ, it passed, so they left the time bomb on the road until it finally failed.

ring your local dealer and explain the problem. You should have no issue having them repair it under the factory recall. They weld plates around the chassis and then re-assmble. An expensive job for them, free for you. they should have engineered it properly in the first place.

Evert 28-10-2011 05:33 PM

Is this recall actually for both the diesel and the petrol versions or only for the petrol cars?

I don't know if the steering boxes are different on them...?

mato 03-02-2012 06:46 AM

Ok dose any one have pics of a modded chasis rail
my 97 (96 build) has some recal stickers on the door
but now i have a noise in the front end but only when its raining ???
i have searched hight and low and cant fined anything yet
looked at the steering box and it looks like nothing spical. normal
but i have a bad feeling that it is going to have to be a box mount for rail issue.
is jeep still helping with this issue or have they wiped there hands of this issue
i will try and rin jeep later on and see how i go.
but if any one has pics of a modded box would be a big help