AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   transmission cooler lines (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121454)

jeepOz 18-12-2012 08:51 PM

transmission cooler lines

Hi,
I've got a problem with my transmission cooler lines, they are busted due to a bad ass hole I took with quiet a bit of speed. Does anyone know where I could get new ones or am I better of taking the existing one's out and get them fixed up? I'm a bit worried about the the plastic fitting on those lines, so I would rather take new if possible...

thanks guys

Dustbowl 18-12-2012 09:01 PM

Those lines are stupid!! I replaced mine twice and patched them a million times!
You are best to replace them with hydraulic hose (oil cooler hose) I did, and you can't beat it!
Just grab a couple of metres of Hydraulic cooler hose (available at auto pro) using a hacksaw or similar cold implement cut the middle from the lines, leaving say 150 mm protruding on the gearbox end, and leave a similar amount on the other end, replace the middle section with the hydraulic hose, leaving some slack to allow for movement, I sealed mine with some sikaflex and 2 hose clamps per end, cable tied it out of the way. it's 10x more durable than the original line and won't let you down.

briteway 18-12-2012 09:15 PM

Yep, I agree with Dustbowl. I did mine that way too but one of the clamps gave way after a while and with one clamp on, the other slid off together with the hose off the metal pipe. I only noticed it when burning fluid off the exhaust pipe started sending smoke. I ended up losing one whole gallon of fluid and luckily I had some spare. Topped it back up, put a new clamp and all good after that.

Just check on the clamps periodically. I found that they started eating into the hose. I'll have to look for some better type clamps, maybe check the US market. I don't want to crimp the hose on as its easier to fully flush the tranny.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Dustbowl 19-12-2012 04:50 AM

Cheers Brite :D

Some good warning there, ill go check mine are nice and tight now :p

carvesdodo 19-12-2012 05:48 AM

FWIW ...

Replace the factory setup with a decent cooler,

... and use rubber tranny line from bursons/repco/wherever, as suggested above.

You shouldn't have issues with the hose coming off the shortened factory lines ... or leaking ... unless you cut the hose lengths too short and theres not enough flex to allow for drivetrain movement.

darksidecustoms 19-12-2012 07:06 AM

Another on the to do list.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the best tool for flaring the ends of the pipes?

Windex 19-12-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksidecustoms (Post 1341718)
Another on the to do list.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the best tool for flaring the ends of the pipes?

From my interpretation of the above, they didnt flare the ends, just put a clamp on the sucker.