AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Looking for an XJ (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130437)

Dissociative 10-01-2014 12:35 PM

Looking for an XJ

Hi all, I've started hunting around for an XJ, which will be a second vehicle for off-road use and a bit of on-road as needed from time to time.

From the research I've done so far, I understand a Chrysler 8.25 rear and HP front diff are desirable, but so far seem hard to find. I've focused on 97-99 sports (I understand the limiteds all had ABS so D35), but am still finding D35's.

My question is how critical is this (and should it be a deal breaker) or am I being overly paranoid about the risk of D35 breakage? Use will be beach/dunes, powerline trails and the occasional trip to 4wd parks. Nothing extreme but generally like to keep options open and don't want to be stressing about a disaster in the middle of nowhere. Vehicle will be lifted with bigger wheels and I'd like to add lockers down the track.

I have read into buying a new 8.25 axle but am yet to really put my finger on the total cost to understand how viable it is - can anyone that's done it give me an idea and is there anyone in Perth that does them?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

ruffy01 10-01-2014 02:08 PM

I ran 31" tyres & ARB locker with the D35 & had no issues.
33's & the ARB, the axles only lasted 2 trips before "BANG".
Conservative/sensible driving & the D35's are good. With a bit of reading, 33's & a locker appears to be the breaking point. 33's & no locker seems OK.

As for upgrades, the Ford 8.8 out of a mid '90's Explorer is easy to find. I paid $150 for one & you also benefit rear discs.
Cost of conversion depends upon your DIY ability. You need spring perches, spring plates, u-bolts, shocker mounts & (I think) a 1310 to 1330 rear uni which allows use of your rear XJ driveshaft.
The other major cost (potentially) is regearing to suit your front diff.

Your chances of finding an XJ with an OEM 8.25" or D44 here in Aus are pretty slim, the D35 isn't a deal breaker.
I think all XJ D30's are high pinion. Some Wranglers have low pinion I think.

Richard buttocks 10-01-2014 02:31 PM

Ive broken axles on 31's
Yes mine gets a hard time
But I dont let it bounce etc

You could break them in a dead stock xj.

In the hands of an idiot anything will break.

Richard buttocks 10-01-2014 02:33 PM

Pretty sure 2000-01 have low pinion d30

ruffy01 10-01-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard buttocks (Post 1439501)
Pretty sure 2000-01 have low pinion d30

Thanks RB, I thought there may have been some, wasn't sure.

Dissociative 10-01-2014 04:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, sounds like it's potentially a fruitless exercise to hunt a stock 8.25 XJ down (especially as I'm not prepared to look over east). Certainly makes choosing one a lot easier.

From what I've read, finding and swapping in a HP D30 front isn't a big deal, so that puts the 00-01 back in the mix.

I'm open to the idea of a Ford 8.8 or even TJ D44, a quick look on gumtree indicates finding one shouldn't be too difficult or costly. I have no DIY ability when it comes to welding, grinding for the perches etc - any tips on where to look for someone suitable?

I see there are more than a few threads around on converting, so back to reading...

ApacheResistance 10-01-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissociative (Post 1439525)
From what I've read, finding and swapping in a HP D30 front isn't a big deal, so that puts the 00-01 back in the mix.

I'm open to the idea of a Ford 8.8 or even TJ D44

IIRC you cannot put a HP D30 in an 00-01 XJ without lifting it about 3". In 00-01 they switched to the 0331 head as opposed to the previous 0630 head casting. Different intake/exhaust ports. They also switched up the exhaust manifold/header. Yours should have 4 pre-cats with 4 O2 sensors in them. It's also a 2 piece manifold as opposed to the earlier 1 piece manifold.

The exhaust will get in the way of the driveshaft if you put a HP D30 in the later models without lifting them. Granted you could swap the head/exhaust but it's really not worth it.

I'd just leave the LP D30 and wheel the thing and if you ever end up adding around 3" of lift then swap in a HP D30 if you get bored one weekend.

As for the rear i'd go with an 8.8.

The rear will require you to either: (if you wanted to put a TJ D44 in)

1. - Go with a custom rear long arm.
2. - Cut the coil brackets off and weld some perches on.

It's about the same amount of work to get a TJ D44 in the rear as it would be to get an 8.8 in. Personally i'd shoot for the 8.8.