AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Driver side doors keep trying to "lock" (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150762)

lenOx_ 04-12-2017 03:55 PM

Driver side doors keep trying to "lock"

Hey all,

Been a ghost follower of this forum for a while now. And currently have owned my Jeep Wrangler for about 3 months now, purchased used.

All has been great so far. Just one thing has recently come up. I own the 4 door and the door behind the drivers side was continuously trying to lock, when it was already locked. I've noticed that this has only happened when here in Melbourne we've had the crazy rain storms.

Car has been parked non-sheltered all the time. Just imagine your doors already locked, and keep pressing the lock button on the driver side - that's what it sounds like.

I actually took the Jeep for a service today and asked for them to check this out. They did, and said no error codes have been spat out (probably because this hasn't happened again since 2 days ago). And he's mentioned a fair bit of people have come in this Monday because they've had the same issue and others. Doesn't seem normal?

Things I can / should look at:
- My roof seals?
- Is there a way I can check out these codes for myself? Are there historical logs for these codes?
- I've never taken the doors off either...yet

Cheers in advance for any replies!

Nanook 05-12-2017 07:19 AM

It sounds like you have a short or earth fault due to the rain.

My first recommendation would be to take the door panel off and dry out the inside of the door.

I'd be very surprised if this kind of fault would bring up an error code.

Also, if you have a look at the bottom of the B pillar inside the cabin, there is a small panel which give you access to the door wiring connector (you disconnect this to remove your doors). Pop that open, have a look at the connector and see if it's got water in it.

lenOx_ 31-12-2017 03:44 PM

Thanks for the reply @Nanook.

I checked out the pillar and all looks ok. It even rained recently and this issue did not happen again but I did have a look in the pillar just to double check and all seems fine.

Not sure what that was about, I hope it doesn't happen again!

Banshee 31-12-2017 05:14 PM

Possibly a bit of contamination in the plug that was cleared by pulling it & reseating it? Or maybe just not enough moisture to trigger it again, yet.

A couple of decades ago, the fuses in my mothers house kept blowing after a lot of rain. We had my cousins husband, (a licensed electrician), replace all the wiring. but it still kept happening. Then when pulling a switch panel out, it was bumped & came apart... it was packed full of dust. Probably 50 years worth. All switches & power points replaced, no more blown fuses. When it rained a lot, the humidity dampened the dust & was shorting in the power points & switches.

grayJeep 03-01-2018 01:18 PM

I have just bought 2007 Wrangler. Previous owner had same problem. Dealer's solution is a new instrument cluster which has been ordered. Interim solution is to remove fuse, which seems to affect nothing else except the radio backup supply so clock etc reset when key off. With fuse in, battery flat overnight. I'm going to disconnect the doors and see if the fuse can go back.

Can take photo of fuse position if you like.

Gray.

lenOx_ 08-02-2018 06:47 PM

Hey mate, let me know how the new instrument cluster goes from the dealer.

Pics would be helpful. But this has not happened since, even in the rain. So I can't seem to re-create or even record a video of what is happening / sounding.