AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   gen 3 ls1 350 chev conversion for jk wrangler (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92158)

shaneoforsure 25-12-2009 07:26 AM

gen 3 ls1 350 chev conversion for jk wrangler

i have a ls1 350 chev and trying to find out who may do the conversion i have emailed burnsville off road in the states and waiting for a reply. i am going to keep this thread going and continue to fill it with info, please feel free to add info for the conversion.
thanks shane norris (tas)

p.s i am not intrested in any rubish hemi info.
**)

flexytj 25-12-2009 09:59 AM

you may have to use a ls2 from a ve for emissions reasons as ls1 are alot older than a jk

cozab 25-12-2009 10:17 AM

I have been thinking exactly same thing lately since Gen 3 crate motors are getting so damn cheap now.... And there are so many parts and acessories for them....

JK07 25-12-2009 06:35 PM

Dont forget relaibility, local knowedlge, well proven engine. I have enquired a lot the main show stopper is the computer to mate with LS2 or 3 rest all good.
Even the wiring is sorted out.

There is a guy on JK forum did the conversion but mainly for offorad rig, no ABS Air Con etc works but hoping one day someone will come up with the computer

rolli 28-12-2009 12:55 PM

Why not go an aftermarket ecu as well?? Motec will do everything you want an more, and should be easily installed to the ls motors seeing they are so common with many different applications.

Sure, its probably gonna cost you some good coin, but you will have an engine that runs as good (if not better) than OEM. Completely tunable, have multiple maps for air/fuel and ignition for different applications (ie offroad and on road), data recording, and many tuning shops can tune them so its just a matter of finding a good one near you.

You wouldnt even need a motec unit, there are plenty other brands that would work just as well for less money and better than factory results with the added flexibility such units provide you.

BrisNut 28-12-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolli (Post 1034244)
Why not go an aftermarket ecu as well?? Motec will do everything you want an more, and should be easily installed to the ls motors seeing they are so common with many different applications.

Sure, its probably gonna cost you some good coin, but you will have an engine that runs as good (if not better) than OEM. Completely tunable, have multiple maps for air/fuel and ignition for different applications (ie offroad and on road), data recording, and many tuning shops can tune them so its just a matter of finding a good one near you.

You wouldnt even need a motec unit, there are plenty other brands that would work just as well for less money and better than factory results with the added flexibility such units provide you.

The problem is getting the engine CPU to talk to the main CPU under the centre console, unless of course the Motec can control the ABS, ESP, traction control, cruise control, seatbelts, airbags, every other switch & lamp in the vehicle whilst talking to the Instrument cluster CPU.
If you want it to be legal all that stuff has got to work.

rolli 28-12-2009 10:15 PM

Bisnut - Are you sure about that? I am not sure what QLD has, but in WA its only exhaust gases that make it illegal/legal.

As for your list, many engine management systems will run cruise control, traction control and ABS. Airbags should (I say that ignorantly) be independant (they should fire without the battery in the car!), seat belts are mechanical, lamps and switchs can easily be rerouted to the traditional hardwired systems, instrument clusters can either be rewired or replaced.

I know it sounds like alot of work, but every engine transplant is!