AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   What's your welder..... (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47104)

Wooders 06-01-2004 07:54 AM

What's your welder.....

Whatca got? Comments good and bad?

I have a small arc welder - it's really pretty useless on the Jeep.....The arc IMHO is best for thick metal, yet my little box just doesn't have the cycle duty to allow decent weld length.....good(ish) for small projects/mant .....

I also have an Oxy/Acc which is what I use most of the time. good for a range of material thicknesses and also just swap the handset & I have a cutter....Probably the main reason i opted for oxy over mig....But you need to be carefull handling the bottles andyou need to watch the flame so you don't burn other things around you.....IMHO gives medium to good quality welds....but I need more practice....

ACJ 06-01-2004 01:21 PM

im lucky i have accses to all plus benders and other cool suff its the only good thing about being a fitter :D

Wooders 06-01-2004 01:55 PM

Lathes, benders, folders & notchers....all the sorta stuff I dream about fitting into my garage 8)

TJ Dave 06-01-2004 03:13 PM

Wot's a welder? is that one of these humming things that make my eyes sore?

I WANT MIG, I WANT OXY, I WANT ARC. anything other than a rivet gun. :mrgreen: dammit! **)

Ben 06-01-2004 03:18 PM

Lexx is my welder! Taking delivery of a nice set of steps soon!

Although after that post on Outerlimits.com.au I'm going to have a good, hard look into a welding course.

OzJeeper 06-01-2004 07:11 PM

A good arc welder is very good for general purpose welding. Trying to source a welding alternator to bolt into the J10 for trail fixes, though I don't think it will weld plastic...
If you want a nice all round home welder have a look at the small Mig welders that actually use a gas bottle. The expensive bit is the gas and rent on the bottle. Looking at about $850 all up for a little mig and it will weld car panels (panel shops buy these smaller rigs). Don't be tempted to buy a "mig" from Supercheap as they are only a continuous wire feed using gasless wire. Might as well use the arc unit.
After that, the skys the limit in both money and equipment. For general fabrication using medium/heavy wall material then a much bigger MIG is needed and prices start above the $1500.00 for a decent unit.

Have fun!

Wolfe 06-01-2004 09:01 PM

where can you do wel.....duh courses?