AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Diesel Engine Oil Opinions (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83164)

jeeptrout 05-01-2009 04:13 PM

Diesel Engine Oil Opinions

I need some info on oils and I'm hoping there is someone out there who has done some research about the following:

Does anyone have any advice on the brand and type of oil to use with the Jeep 2.8L CRD?

Are there advantages in using synthetic over mineral?

A pal of mine recommends Mobil Delvac, a totally synthetic oil that is used by most of the major trucking companies. Apparently the truckers change Delvac every 50,000kms (10 weeks or so).

What about change intervals? I got a ride with a limo driver from the airport the other day who's engine has done 480,000kms without a problem. The driver changes his oil every 5,000kms and thinks that car manufactures have a conspiracy going to make you keep your engine oil longer, so the engine blows and you get a new car sooner.

Oils ain't oils (as they say) so what should I use in my CRD to keep it peachy for a long time?

glend 05-01-2009 05:40 PM

As the wise old Owl would say "Search is your friend". Use the Advanced Search function. The KJ CRD Oil topic has been discussed a few times, and it is also covered over on LOST (http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php).

My 2 cents: I am using Penrite Diesel 5 HPR and it gets changed every 5000km. I started my vehicle out on Mobil 1 0W40 but that stuff is too expensive and is not CI rated. The Penrite stuff is cheaper (about $76 for 10 litres), and is a semi-synthetic. Watch what your dealer service guys put in as it varies depending upon their supplier arrangments.

loric 05-01-2009 08:34 PM

Castrol Magnatec Diesel for my 05 CRD.

I didn't think a fully syn was worth it since my motor's done 145K and I change oil and filter within every 10,000. (and check everything every 5000 or so)

Have also used Valvoline Durablend and Penrite Diesel. Both are good too.

I think a 5000km oil and filter change interval is a bit too conservative though, esp since the decent oils are semi syn already.

I dare say that those who change oil every 5000km and have experienced better reliability are reaping the results of 'giving the engine a once-over' every 5000km and it's not so much the oil that is providing the extra benefit.

nudge 22 07-01-2009 06:45 AM

I use Penrite HPR 15 and change it every 8000kms
As for which oil is best look at the API rating on the back it looks like this API SL/CH the S is petrol engines and the C is for diesel the letter followin these is the rating the higher the letter the higher the rating eg API SL/CH meets higher standards than API SJ/CF there is usually a few oils with the highest rating out of those you wont know which one is better unless you get it tested in a lab.

rockski 08-01-2009 03:18 PM

CRD Diesel Engine Oil

Search is yr friend.
See KJ thread 73936 "Best Oil for a CRD"
also Grand Cherokee thread 73310 "Engine Oil Viscosity 3.0L Diesel Engine"

I use Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30, and perform oil + filter changes every 5000. (I do it before the dealership gets her for the 10K interval servicings)

I know it appears overkill, afterall its a fully synthetic C3 compliant drop,
and i've only ever been able to buy it in 20L drums ($255)...
and we dont even have a Particulate Filter to poison,
but we do do some serious towing (ref previously posted photo) and a fair % of alpine wandering. Its the price i pay for some peace of mind!

snail 08-01-2009 04:52 PM

Penrite Diesel 5w for me and I change it every 10k along with the filter and fuel filter - however, I dont do heavy offroad or towing just yet - If I did I would change every 5-8k.

Hope this helps!

crdjon 28-01-2009 08:55 PM

Oil viscosity.

1 Attachment(s)
From the manual covers export KJ CRD's

Attachment 30896

From what I can see if you are in Australia and you are running high temps you might consider 10-40, probably synthetic is best and low ash if you can find it coz thats good for particulate filters and catatalytics but most importantly check the rating of the oil in your owners manual, note weight was not specified in mine, i referred to the owners manual for the oil specification then selected the weight of oil to match the temperatures i operate in from the Jeep service manual. I think typically in the US, because of EPA, they use thinner oils than are possible. often in the 5w30 range. The manual for export versions definitely said 10-40 as an oil weight, its tucked away a few more paragraphs down in the manual beyond the intial blurb about this.

From my experience the engine is quieter and smoother with 15-40, though Id prefer 10-40 in winter, and as I have heard of a couple of engines losing conrod bearings and generally falling apart and being replaced using 0-40 (low viscosity oils) etc I know where my preferences lie at the moment. If you change your oils at proper times with filters turbo lubrication probably wont become an issue.

Currently I am using Diesel magnatec 15-40 and touch wood (picture me with my hands on my head) seems fine. Remember though that if you do not operate with a good EGR or modified egr you are dumping a tremendous amount of soot into your engine, someone thought it would be better in your engine than on the road or in the atmosphere or something.

ITs worth noting I am in Perth and operate here, to the eas and all points north so that gives you some idea of the operating temperatures im working with. Generally no ice or snow, mostly warm to HOT.

Just my 2 cents worth