AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KK Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   New KK Owner - Tell Me I am Making the Right Decision! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150856)

Hanna 14-12-2017 02:38 AM

New KK Owner - Tell Me I am Making the Right Decision!

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

So today my wife and I put down on a deposit on a 2012 KK Cherokee Limited CRD that I found listed by a BMW dealership on Carsales:

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...ngType=TopSpot

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...7&d=1513184531http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...8&d=1513184717

It looks the goods, has everything we need for the intended purpose, includes a full service history (including the timing belt change at 99,000kms in March 2017) and seems like a good buy considering how few Limited CRD's in this condition with low km's are available on the market - well in WA anyway. It does have an electronic brake controller and Anderson plug installed and the dealer mentioned that it has been used to tow a small caravan/camper trailer - the previous owner traded it in on a BMW X5 diesel to tow a larger caravan that he upgraded to! :o

Given the low 1,600kg braked towing capacity of the KK, I assume that it hasn't had too hard of a life, so therefore was willing to take the plunge.

The sale contract is subject to a pre-purchase inspection, however given I live 1,550kms from the dealership, this presented a bit of a problem! :p Luckily, I have a trusted mate that is going to inspect it for me today, prior to signing the contract. It does come with a 3 month warranty, so if anything does crop up in that time I will be exercising my rights. I know it is pretty risky buying a car sight unseen, but we did exactly that with the car it is replacing (2007 KJ Cherokee CRD Sport) and we have had 4.5 years of trouble-free motoring out of it.

The KJ has been a great little car for my wife and it still only has 122,000kms on it, however the clear coat has peeled on the bonnet, roof, bumpers and guards and so it essentially needs a complete respray at a cost of at least $4K ($4K is a cash in hand mates rates quote!) and we just don't want to tip that amount of money into it. In additon to that, we have our first child on the way in March and my wife needs something a little more spacious, modern and safe to get around in. The KK ticks all the boxes for us when pitted against everything else in its price range, no matter what the brand is. Plus, I still have a brand new 2" Ironman lift kit that I never fitted to the KJ that I can use which is a bonus.

I know the VM 2.8L CRD in the KJ pretty well having changed the timing belt and tensioners, alternator clutch, glow plugs, along with de-gunking the intake system myself not long after buying it. I also do all our servicing at home. I assume there are not too many differences between the VM 2.8L in the KJ and KK? This will be our 4th Jeep (WJ, KJ, XH and KK), so I am used to swinging a spanner regularly.....:p

So given the above brain dump of information, does anyone have any comments or suggestions for things that I need to give my mate a heads up on before he inspects it today? Any warnings or words of advice before I commit to the purchase? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Hanna

Tog 14-12-2017 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanna (Post 1625235)
Hello All,

So today my wife and I put down on a deposit on a 2012 KK Cherokee Limited CRD that I found listed by a BMW dealership on Carsales:

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...ngType=TopSpot

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...7&d=1513184531http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...8&d=1513184717

It looks the goods, has everything we need for the intended purpose, includes a full service history (including the timing belt change at 99,000kms in March 2017) and seems like a good buy considering how few Limited CRD's in this condition with low km's are available on the market - well in WA anyway. It does have an electronic brake controller and Anderson plug installed and the dealer mentioned that it has been used to tow a small caravan/camper trailer - the previous owner traded it in on a BMW X5 diesel to tow a larger caravan that he upgraded to! :o

Given the low 1,600kg braked towing capacity of the KK, I assume that it hasn't had too hard of a life, so therefore was willing to take the plunge.

The sale contract is subject to a pre-purchase inspection, however given I live 1,550kms from the dealership, this presented a bit of a problem! [emoji14] Luckily, I have a trusted mate that is going to inspect it for me today, prior to signing the contract. It does come with a 3 month warranty, so if anything does crop up in that time I will be exercising my rights. I know it is pretty risky buying a car sight unseen, but we did exactly that with the car it is replacing (2007 KJ Cherokee CRD Sport) and we have had 4.5 years of trouble-free motoring out of it.

The KJ has been a great little car for my wife and it still only has 122,000kms on it, however the clear coat has peeled on the bonnet, roof, bumpers and guards and so it essentially needs a complete respray at a cost of at least $4K ($4K is a cash in hand mates rates quote!) and we just don't want to tip that amount of money into it. In additon to that, we have our first child on the way in March and my wife needs something a little more spacious, modern and safe to get around in. The KK ticks all the boxes for us when pitted against everything else in its price range, no matter what the brand is. Plus, I still have a brand new 2" Ironman lift kit that I never fitted to the KJ that I can use which is a bonus.

I know the VM 2.8L CRD in the KJ pretty well having changed the timing belt and tensioners, alternator clutch, glow plugs, along with de-gunking the intake system myself not long after buying it. I also do all our servicing at home. I assume there are not too many differences between the VM 2.8L in the KJ and KK? This will be our 4th Jeep (WJ, KJ, XH and KK), so I am used to swinging a spanner regularly.....:p

So given the above brain dump of information, does anyone have any comments or suggestions for things that I need to give my mate a heads up on before he inspects it today? Any warnings or words of advice before I commit to the purchase? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Hanna

Dunno alot about the CRD KK's we have a 2010 petrol one bought with 70k on the clock and now has 130k no problems aside the rear passengers door doesn't work on the central locking now. Mechanicly no issues at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CibbyDoc 14-12-2017 03:58 PM

I’ve got a 2011 CRD mate and it’s been faultless. I have a window reg issue but that’s std in a Jeep full stop. The motor is awesome but I also had mine reflashed by Stu Murchinson Products in QLD early to give me a bit more torque towing but really I didn’t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cube 15-12-2017 09:00 PM

Looks the goods. I got a KK petrol Sport full leather upgrade. If you are looking at getting it off road you will find it a hassle and quite expensive to fit decent AT tyres onto the LTD rims.

If you can and intend to go beach driving or having fun off road grab a set of rims off a sport with AT tyres. I think it's cheaper than getting AT's on those rims. Should bolt right on.

Have fun!

brucet 16-12-2017 06:46 AM

I have a 2012 Jet with all the fruit. I was initially wary of all the plastic bumpers and guards. But a couple of months ago I punted a good size roo down the road. I stopped, pulled out the bumper and have hardly a scratch to show for it.
Mind you I only have 57000k on mine after 5+ years. But It's a keeper.

hopwrecked 18-12-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cube (Post 1625360)
Looks the goods. I got a KK petrol Sport full leather upgrade. If you are looking at getting it off road you will find it a hassle and quite expensive to fit decent AT tyres onto the LTD rims.

If you can and intend to go beach driving or having fun off road grab a set of rims off a sport with AT tyres. I think it's cheaper than getting AT's on those rims. Should bolt right on.

Have fun!

Hi,
You will enjoy it, great 4x4. Drivers footwell is a bit small.
If this is the intent just drop to 16" rims and your options are great.
Your braked tow capacity is a lot higher than you think, around 2200kg.

Best hack/mod is to remove the little plastic oil drain below the oil filter. Makes for much easier filter changes, on the V6 anyway.

Hanna 09-01-2018 12:06 AM

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delayed response - it was a bit crazy in the lead up to Christmas!

I got my mate to check it out for me and it passed the inspection and test drive with flying colours. He reckons it is immaculate with hardly a mark on it, the undercarriage is spotless and the service history is comprehensive. He has no experience with Jeeps at all (A Toyota Hilux kinda guy) and the first thing he said to me was "Geez that thing pulls hard - has it had any engine work done to it?" Welcome to the World of modern CRD Jeeps mate! :lol::lol::lol:

So I am flying to Perth on the 25/01, picking up an 8x5 caged tandem trailer after collecting the car and filling it with stuff to bring back to The Pilbara, including some Nitto muddies and new JBA upper control arms for my Commander, and a new awning and potentially some 18"A/T's for the KK, along with anything else that fits in the trailer!

In response to some of the questions and comments, the KK will be my wife's daily drive and whilst I am planing to lift it and add some A/T's, it will only be used for pretty light offroad work (mainly beach driving) and touring on gravel roads. As it's a 2012 model, from what I understand I can't go down to 16" wheels anyway, so I reckon I will just stick with the 18"s and try to find a half decent A/T tyre. I don't see much point in spending a heap of coin to fit 17"s at this stage.

So a couple of questions:
  • 18" A/T Tyres: It seems that the only decent A/T tyres available in 18" are 265/60R18, as these are common on modern dual cabs like Rangers, VW Amarok etc. Will I have any dramas fitting these on the standard rims after lifting it 2"? If so, are there any other decent A/T's in a more appropriate size?
  • Awning: What size awnings are people running on their KK's? 2.5mx2.5m? I want the longest one I can get that still matches the length of the roof with limited overhang.
  • Suspension: Do you need to worry about getting an adjustable track bar for the rear after lifting 2"? I have read some conflicting information in regards to how far it pulls your rear axle out of alignment. Also, what about the front UCA's? Do the standard ball joints shit themselves pretty quickly after lifting due to the angle, or will it be OK? are the BJ's easily replaceable or are they a throw out job like my Commander? I was thinking about getting some JBA UCA's for the KK too, but will wait until I fit the lift kit in a couple of months.
  • Towing Capacity: Why the f$%@ is the approved towing capacity on the KK so low at 1.6T? (2.27T with a WDH). Our KJ has a capacity of 2.8T and doesn't require the use of a WDH - seems very strange to me? Especially with a more powerful engine and stronger transmission over the KJ...

Appreciate the help guys - can't wait to pick it up!