AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   TJ Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   TJ Newbie Project (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144564)

Lewy2001 27-06-2016 10:12 PM

TJ Newbie Project

5 Attachment(s)
Flew to Brisbane today to pickup the unregistered TJ I purchased last week. Qld make it quite easy for Unregistered Vehicle Permits. Do not even need a RWC you just have to state it is road worthy. (And pay them $$$$).

Owner states it has 2" King spring lift. It does not look like much of a lift though... is there a way to measure lift when fitted ???. It also has new 235/75/15's AT tyres. Not much bigger than standard but it still felt like it was geared to tall. Speedo is almost spot on with GPS. Would not need much more rolling diameter to make 5th gear useless.

It has 377Ks on the clock but drove the 600 klms smoothly without a problem. Except wind noise from the soft top.....stopped at Warwick and did some re fitting which helped but it is leaking air where it meets top of windscreen. No drive line vibrations and the manual shifts nice up and down the box with no synchro noises. Seller has replaced rear LSD and thinks it might have had engine and trans rebuilt by previous owner but has no documentation to back it up. It is nice and tidy with a few options I more than likely would have added. Bullbar, winch, snorkel, towbar, UHF and conservative lift (to be confirmed).

I was actually after a TJ with a blown engine as I am planning a "Barra" I6 transplant. Novak NV3550 to Ford kit is on the way from USA :)and the FGII engine is already in the shed :)

4WD4FUN 27-06-2016 10:25 PM

Tidy TJ, yellow springs is give away for King spring 2" never looks much on a jeep.
Keen on following Ford transplant, different to all the V8's you see.

SMARTIE 28-06-2016 12:29 AM

This is going to be great, Ive owned a manual XR6T and I have deeply considered the barra conversion myself also a 1JZ would be a sweet swap. Considering the ax15 is internally very similar to a toyota r154 Im not actually sure why it hasnt been done all that much. Good luck with the build, I'll be following this one :-)

low ranger 28-06-2016 09:19 AM

measure the installed height of the springs, font & rear, & i'll tell you what the lift is. good engine swap...will eat most of the other swaps for breakfast.

Lewy2001 28-06-2016 08:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Yellow King Springs so maybe it has 2" lift.

The front springs appear to have a 25mm spacer as well. Possibly to counter weight of ARB bar and winch.

The front spring is 31cm not counting spacer and 33.5cm with spacer. The rear springs also seem to be missing the bump stops they measure 24cm.

Are those cut down bump stops normal ?

The shocks look to be just OEM... will the shock extended be long enough to work with these springs ?

Low Ranger I may have found a wiring solution for the FGII engine loom for approx. $500 that will at least get the engine running. Will require some extra wiring to get everything else functional but I should be able to sort that out myself hopefully.

low ranger 29-06-2016 08:29 PM

installed height of stock coils in a stock TJ are 12" front & 8" rear. I got the complete engine harness including fuse box, air box & throttle pedal for my swap. a company here in Gympie have been advising me that the reworking of the ford computer & linking the jeep computer to it is about 1.5K. they have been doing a lot of barra engines into gu pootrols with outstanding results. that 1.5K is what is holding me up.

low ranger 29-06-2016 08:31 PM

that rear bump stop looks to have broken off at the cup. very common. replace them with some poly items. if you fit a 1" spacer between the cup & the chassis, you can run a lot longer shock than stock