AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   ESC Malfunction Warning Light (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141221)

LeighP 05-10-2015 09:12 PM

ESC Malfunction Warning Light

OK.....so I've knocked the steering wheel a little off centre while at Jambo....a couple of inches to the right.
Car still tracks and drives exactly as it did before, but I now have the ESC Malfunction light on permanently.
I'm going to get an alignment tomorrow and get the wheel centred again.

My questions....

1. Will the ESC Malfunction warning reset itself after the steering is centred?
2. If the answer to the above question is "no", will disconnecting the battery for a few minutes help? (if I do that, will I have any trouble with security codes on the stereo, etc?)
3. If I'm out of luck....is my option for resetting the ESC Mal Warning to take it to Jeep?

Many thanks, guys.

ozjeepster 06-10-2015 05:25 AM

Yes mate your steering wheel is obviously more than 7 degrees off center use the adjuster on the drag link too center the wheel just make sure your wheels are straight when doing it and you will be good to go . Mine was the same after Mt Airlie but came back after the Test Track haha

OIIIIIIIO

SeaComms 06-10-2015 07:31 AM

Did you hit anything? Sounds more like you clipped the tie rod on something and have increased your toe in. Is your steering wheel pointing to the left?

If so it needs to be checked at full lock both ways to make sure its not hitting anything then the toe in adjusted and all should be good.

Speakimg from experience ...twice :)

Banshee 06-10-2015 07:59 AM

And yes, once it is fixed, the light will go out without anything further needing to be done.

wranglertj 06-10-2015 08:29 AM

yeah I have hit some ledges fairly hard and only thrown out the steering wheel centre and appears nothing else is of issue (so not sure if enough impact can make it slip on the thread) once centred via drag link this will reset the ESC. if the computer didn't turn it off you will constantly have the ESP activating whilst driving in a straight line

LeighP 06-10-2015 09:10 AM

Thanks guys. Found a "how to" with pics on another forum and I recentred the wheel this morning.
The steering itself seemed fine....there's no evidence of feathering on the tread and it tracks straight as it did before.
I did find the clamp bolts on the track bar adjustment were not particularly tight at all.....I'm thinking all the bouncing around may have vibrated the adjusting collar.
I drove it for a while after straightening the wheel and the light stayed on, so I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, then took it out for another drive....50 metres and the light went out....woohoo.
Oh, and the ESC Malfunction also takes out the cruise control, which now works again. :)