AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hot Topic of week (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Camping gear (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120372)

motas 06-11-2012 07:53 AM

Camping gear

Hey guys. This weeks topic is camping gear. Tents, swags, awnings, sleeping bags etc. Feel free to discuss anything related to the topic.

Jimmyb 06-11-2012 08:17 AM

I must say as Im getting older, I am finding the idea of having a camper trailer more and more appealing. Ease of setup and ease of packing.

jtb007 06-11-2012 09:31 AM

swag, easy as shit to set up and pack up, comfy as.......

layback40 06-11-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyb (Post 1330484)
I must say as Im getting older, I am finding the idea of having a camper trailer more and more appealing. Ease of setup and ease of packing.

Hey Jimmy, You are only a young guy !!

I do agree with you though. Maybe a first step would be a roof top mounted tent.
I find a trailer while off road a PITA.

At the moment we have a range of tents, suitable for most occasions.
The best being one that connects to the tail gate of the jeep. its a bit like one that is often on ebay.
Have slept in the back of the XJ a couple of times, its just not quite long enough to stretch out in. Kind of cramped for 2.

Vards 06-11-2012 12:49 PM

Saw a bloke on the weekend at Horseyard flat with a hammock setup with seperate roof - similar to an army hootchie. Fair enough you need trees but it would be bloody quick and easy to setup and perfect for a boys trip changing locations every night.

glend 06-11-2012 01:55 PM

After having been on a few outback trips with a convoy of Jeeps and other vehicles, I think I can observe that those with Roof top tents are always the last to be ready to go each morning. Despite the notion that they are easy to setup and take down, they seem to take longer to fold down and get all the bits tucked in place - or maybe the owners just leave the packing up til the last minute thinking they have little to do. And roof top tents are not for the older folks, that ladder can be a trial and if you have to get up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night - well let's say it complicates the effort.

I love my homemade foldout camper, but for speed you can't beat a Speedy popup tent - which made the Cape trip a breeze.

kj69 06-11-2012 03:21 PM

One down fall with a roof top tent is you have to pack it up every time you want to drive anywhere , once had people camp in our spot even though we left a car and other items around ,because we were out exploring for the day.