AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Chrysler recalls 2006 to 2010 Commanders (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125160)

Wanderer 12-05-2013 09:00 AM

Chrysler recalls 2006 to 2010 Commanders

(AAP May 12, 2013 12:55AM)

Chrysler recalls almost 470,000 Jeep 4WDs

CHRYSLER is recalling 469,000 Jeep four-wheel drives worldwide because they can shift into neutral without warning on startup.

The recall affects 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees and 2006 to 2010 Commanders.

US safety regulators say cracks in a circuit board can cause a faulty signal as the 4WDs are being started. If the vehicles shift into neutral they can roll away.

Chrysler says the problem has caused 26 crashes and two injuries.

Chrysler will notify owners and dealers will update software to take care of the problem.

Chrysler found cracks in a circuit board that turns the four-wheel-drive system on and off.

Repairs will be made at no cost.

The recall covers 295,000 vehicles in the US, 28,500 in Canada, and 4,200 in Mexico. The remaining 141,000 are outside North America.

Read Article: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226640060150

Hoboken 12-05-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks for letting us all know Wanderer.
I'm curious to know how a software update will fix a cracked circuit board?
Also curious to know how, or if, this software update will affect my GDE flash tune?
Thanks
Dave T

Hoboken 12-05-2013 11:49 AM

In fact I'd like to know what happens to my GDE tune whenever the dealer applies any updates, anyone got any experience on this, do you reload your GDE tune from time to time? Or do dealer updates simply map into the GDE programming? Guess it depends on what is updated!
Thanks

Wanderer 12-05-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken (Post 1381164)
I'm curious to know how a software update will fix a cracked circuit board?

Me too..but that's Jurnos for you...Be a costly exercise to replace all those circuit boards. The sofware fix probably is to just stop the false shift into Neutral but software fixing a cracked circuit board???..Now that'll be magic!!!Who ever did the press release obviously isn't a Tech Head or is this just the old BS baffles brains trick...Definitely needs more sussing out...Interresting indeed.

Wanderer 12-05-2013 10:10 PM

This is the latest LemonAuto.com has to say...No mention of a cracked board only if an electrical fault..Is that Jeep speak for not replacing the board now but a software update just in case it may crack....What happens if the board cracks in future???..Hmmmmm....do we pay now out of warranty???...Probably and expensive!!!

Jeep Commander Recall Information

NEWS: Chrysler is recalling certain 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2006-2010 Jeep Commander vehicles
Report Receipt Date: MAY 07, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V175000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected: 295,345

MAY 2013 -- Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured February 11, 2004, through March 9, 2010; and 2006-2010 Jeep Commander vehicles manufactured January 31, 2005, through March 10, 2010. A transfer case electrical failure may result in an unintentional shifting of the transfer case into the neutral position. If the vehicle shifts into neutral, it may roll away increasing the risk of a crash or personal injury. Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will reflash the final drive controller which governs the transfer case, with new software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in June 2013. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N23

Shrubby 02-06-2013 12:24 AM

Hi,

I rang jeep/chrysler australia about it the other day, and they ask for your engine number, within seconds he told me that it had 3 upgrades (modules with previous owner). When I queried the power train fault he told me that there was no further recall notices. I supose it's dependant on the engine number...

Wanderer 02-06-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrubby (Post 1386675)
Hi,

I rang jeep/chrysler australia about it the other day, and they ask for your engine number, within seconds he told me that it had 3 upgrades (modules with previous owner). When I queried the power train fault he told me that there was no further recall notices. I supose it's dependant on the engine number...

Scrubby: Could be some of our export models are OK....Not saying they are wrong though I have heard (hearsay) reports about "dodgy" information being given out in the past....I haven't heard of anyone having this particular transmission problem here.... Must be someting in it though: http://www.caradvice.com.au/230845/j...alled-locally/ (May 13th, 2013) are saying that Quote: "5000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander models have been recalled in Australia for a fault relating to the SUVs’ transmission."..The old saying "Where there is smoke there usually is fire"...Have a read and decide if you want to check it out further.

Shrubby 02-06-2013 09:38 PM

Hi,

yeah, I checked out the article, it states that the majority of the recalls are jeep grand cherokees.
That they are in the process of notifying owners.
I queried chrysler australia about how they track down owners of second hand vehichles and in my case where I've changed the registration plate.
He told me they go by the vin number.
So we will wait and see... :o)

NoMates 04-06-2013 04:35 PM

Yeah. I phoned up Chrysler Australia the other day also and gave them my VIN.
They told me that the only recall for my commander was done back in 2008 under the previous owner.
I did find a few other recalls on the net in the ACCC website but apparently these didnt apply in Aus.
As you say I guess we shall all wait and see what comes out of it.
Cheers.:D

Wanderer 05-06-2013 05:29 PM

The plot thickens....Maybe this answers why they are dodging the issue:

Chrysler is refusing a request by the US government to recall 2.7 million Jeeps.

Chrysler refuses government request to recall Jeeps/Chrysler Group vehicles. Chrysler says its Jeeps are safe and a recall is not necessary Continue reading the main story:http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/business-22777489

57 HEMI 05-06-2013 07:50 PM

Pfffft, what a load of rubbish!
As if Jeeps were the only fourbies to be fitted with the fuel tank in the rear.
ie. Toyota Prado
Suzuki Vitara
Just a couple I can think of at the moment that also have rear fuel tanks, I'm sure there's many more.

I'm not sure of the legalities in the USA, but in Oz we have the option of fitting long range tanks on our fourbies, usually behind the rear axle.

Don't even get me started on aftermarket LPG bombs which are so often fitted behind the rear axle of most vehicles.

Go Chrysler! Stand your ground, give 'em heaps!

Wanderer 06-06-2013 08:45 AM

You've got a point about fuel tanks othewise we wouldn't be allowed to fit the LRA 100L aux tank behind the rear axle and there are no reports here that I know of about safety problem with earlier model Jeeps with rear mounted fuel tanks in Oz...Having said this, I wouldn't be too quick with to heap praise on Chrysler Jeep:
Quote:

Go Chrysler! Stand your ground, give 'em heaps!
Could be they are hiding behind the "Jeeps are safe" statement to dodge other recalls such as the "transmission shift into neutral" issue....Can see why Chrysler Jeep is rejecting the 2.7million recall though.. Assuming a conserative cost of say $1000 per vehicle x 2.7million vehicles, that adds up to a huge hit on a company who has just been saved by the US government from total collapse during the GFC..It would be goodbye Jeep and probably Fiat as well and more so if it costs more per vehicle....Still doesn't explain why a software update for the transmission fault is being dodged or other recalls for that matter...

Shrubby 12-06-2013 08:03 PM

Hi,
Yesterday I got a letter from 'Fiat/Chrysler' stating customer recall n23.
Due to begin july 2013. States software update, stating "some circiut boards may transmit compromised signals that enable inadvertent gearshifts to neautral".
Will keep you updated.

grand_wj 12-06-2013 08:36 PM

Haha same here but it was for the WH grand cherokee software update to prevent shifting into neutral during start up

Shrubby 12-06-2013 10:22 PM

Yeah, it said 5,603 jeep commanders and grand Cherokees. Doesn't give a breakup. Did give a customer care no. 1800•993•619. Owners will get a second letter closer to the launch.

multihull 14-06-2013 11:24 PM

I got my recall letter in the post today.

Hoboken 15-06-2013 03:36 AM

mine came today as well

Wanderer 16-06-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken (Post 1390063)
mine came today as well

Me To

Reads:

CUSTOMER RECALL N23
SOFTWARE UPDATE

Fiat Chrysler Group will recall approximately 5603 Jeep Commanders and Jeep Grand Cherokee's model years 2006-2010 and 2005 -2010 respectively nationally to perform a software update.
Chrysler Group LLC discovered some circuit boards may transmit compromised signals that enable inadvertent gearshifts to neutral. The software update prevents such occurrences.

The update will be performed at no cost to customers.

The recall has not been officially released in the United States as yet but Fiat Chrysler Group have taken a precautionary measure to notify all owners of the upcoming recall, which is due to be released July 2013.
Owners will receive a 2nd Letter explaining the official release once we have confirmed the launch.

To date the only occurrence of inadvertent gearshifts into neutral have been in vehicles fitted with a remote start-up function which is only available in the US .

Notes:
Chrysler's recall campaign number is N23. Owners may contact FiatChrysler Group customercare centre on 1800-993-619 should they wish to discuss this announcement.

Yours Sincerley

Alisha Giltinan
Warranty Coordinator

Chrysler Australia Ply Lld trading as Fiat Chrysler Group
437 Plum mer Street, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207
PO Box 23267, Docklands VIC 3008
Ph. +61 3 8698 0200, Fax. +61 3 8698 0250
ABN. 23 125 956 505

Quote:

Shrubby

Hi,

Well Scrubby what did I say about hearsay I heard about mis-information often coming from Chrysler/Jeep Australia....Wish they'd get their act straight treating us a bit like idiots when out there is the Internet where information flows freely...Well at the moment anyway.

warod 17-06-2013 08:13 AM

Chrysler recalls 2006 to 2010 Commanders

Same here

Sent from my talking bone
using white fella magic

GO'ARD 17-06-2013 11:24 AM

ok here's a good one
I have been keeping a close eye on this thread awaiting my letter in the mail
last week I drove the commander to Melbourne on the way down I started having some troubles with the abs sensors going off and resetting and having to repair one from a broken wire aswell as a left hand parker circuit fuse needing replacing after doing this the car ran faultlessly down to Melbourne and while I was there it didn't miss a beat until on my way home in shepparton after getting some Chinese takeaway I started the car and put it into reverse then all the sensor lights went off again but this time it added a tpms low tyre pressure so I drove to the nearest servo and proceeded to inflate the tyre not once but 4 times because the low pressure warning wouldn't reset so I decided ill first eat dinner and then tackle the problem
hoping a lot of the sensors would reset with a battery disconnect after 10-20 mins or so any way they didn't
so after another couple of hundred km's on my way directly to dubbo Jeep I was in an 80km/h zone and was entering a 110km/h zone so I started to accelerate when the car reached about 90km/h it without warning or sound of any kind decided it wanted to be in neutral the car was revving out
I tried putting it in neutral and then drive while rolling but to no avail the only way I could get it back into to drive was to stop the car and then select either neutral and then drive or park then drive and continue on
at arriving at the jeep dealership in dubbo
I had the ecu read and diagnosed by one of there mechanics after being told by their service manager that he doesn't know why they stock this Jeep shit and that they are the worst head office of all their dealership cars they deal with he continued bagging the jeep brand for another min or so and then said he would get a tech to look at it
the tech found codes on transmission front diff abs and the orc (occupant restraint computer) was not responding at all
he cleared all codes and offered to take it for a drive
so I went with him
glad I did as he was pulling out in front of a truck on the newell hwy the commander dropped into neutral just as he was trying to accelerate ahead of the truck resulting in one very unhappy truckie and for the tech to have to change his jocks when we got back to the work shop he then also stated that the car was unsafe to drive due to the unpridcibility of the problem

so then I got on the phone to jeep customer care and spoke to shaun
who proceeded to tell me that my car was not part of the recall that he could find and the because the recall hadn't been officially realeased in even the united states
I then mentioned that I knew the recall had been released about a month ago however they donot have a diagnostic for it or know how to fix the problem he then said because it hasn't been officially released
that it wasn't jeep Australia's problem
and the dealership basically said well on your way and not to expect any help from Jeep Aus
1 hr out of Dubbo my wife rings and tells me of a letter from fiat Chrysler stating about the recall and I had one of the affect precautionary vehicles
so this morning I rang jeep aus in Melbourne and spoke with rob in complaints
told him what had happened and am demanding an outcome in my favour
we'll see what happens
Rob did seem disgusted with the way I was treated not only by the stealership in dubbo but also their own customer service person Shaun
and district service manager steven linnet
will keep you all informed on how I go with all this
plus ive got to upload some pics of my new custom rear steel bar with dual carriers and a few other mods to come like custom front bar new jeepn by al upper arms and even more lift than before
stay tuned
GO'ARD

Wanderer 17-06-2013 02:12 PM

Holy crap...What a saga..Goes to show you that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Jeep Australia and how they hand out (vet) Jeep dealerships.

GO'ARD 17-06-2013 02:31 PM

thought you might like that one wanderer
I think I might have them on the back foot a bit thanks to your info yet again saving my hyde
could be heresay but the service manager rekons he spoke to a mate in US while I was there and apprently he told him
that one of the mechanics working on this fault thought he had fixed the problem on one commander
no problems for 2 months so thought he would test it out by crossing a 4 lane hyway he only got across 3 lanes before neutral and was struck by a truck and causing him to spend a considerable time in hospital
I think this might be the reason the US Gov has forced the recall

hope Jeep Aus pulls there finger out and does the right thing by all owners affected asap
atm I have parked my commander up until this issue is fixed cause I cannot and will not allow my wife to be put in danger like this let alone anyone else

Wanderer 17-06-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GO'ARD (Post 1390674)
hope Jeep Aus pulls there finger out and does the right thing by all owners affected asap
atm I have parked my commander up until this issue is fixed cause I cannot and will not allow my wife to be put in danger like this let alone anyone else

Hmmm...Just maybe a letter to The OFT.. or The ACCC

Give them hell ..There needs to be a Gov actioned recall here rather than the US...It's a (life threateninig) safety isuue should get them acting pronto before someone is killed or beaten to a pulp by a "pissed off" truckie...Hate to have it happen passing a B-Double roadtrain on some outback dirt road...That would make you check your undies

Quote:

OFT

Bought faulty goods? Paid for something that never arrived? As a consumer, you have a right to complain, something that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) can help conciliate

ACC

The ACCC offers advice to consumers about how to resolve problems or make a complaint

Maxfli113 18-06-2013 08:26 PM

I received my letter from Fiat Chrysler the other day and it just happened that I had my commander booked in at Jeep for them to run their scan tool over it for a car alarm issue, no biggy. Tested all good with no faults.
When I handed over the letter to guy at the desk he said that he didn't know anything about this and it was the first time he had seen the letter and had even heard that there was any type of recall....
So he asked to take a copy, all good, so I ask are they going to do the upgrade/fix or whatever and he says they haven't released anything from the states to do any upgrade or change, so please be patient and wait for the next letter due in July :mad:

Wanderer 19-06-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfli113 (Post 1391136)
When I handed over the letter to guy at the desk he said that he didn't know anything about this and it was the first time he had seen the letter and had even heard that there was any type of recall....

Like I said ..."Goes to show you that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Jeep Australia"..seems the dealers are in the dark as well...or is this the "Third Hand"

multihull 25-06-2013 08:58 PM

I rang my Jeep Dealer today, Leo Muller Albion (Brisbane) and was told yes they have details of my cars recall on their system and that it requires a software update but this update has not been sent to them as yet and said that Fiat/Jeep will more than likely send me another letter once the upgrade is available.

Wanderer 26-06-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multihull (Post 1392989)
I rang my Jeep Dealer today, Leo Muller Albion (Brisbane) and was told yes they have details of my cars recall on their system and that it requires a software update but this update has not been sent to them as yet and said that Fiat/Jeep will more than likely send me another letter once the upgrade is available.

Bod Muller...Know him well..Where I buy all my Jeeps but dodge the free Jeep tattoo..Be there after my trip around the Gulf (heading out this Friday) to order my new MY14 WK2 CRD Ltd

Wanderer 09-09-2013 05:57 PM

At last got my letter today Safety Recall N23

multihull 10-09-2013 07:03 PM

Yes I got my second letter on Monday. I'm not that concerned and will get around to booking in in the next few weeks.

JohnJ 03-10-2013 01:48 PM

Hi, new member having issues with the N23 recall. Jeep upgraded my Commander software early this week in Brisbane and has caused nothing but problems. Dropped it off for the recall and when I arrived back to pick it up the left hand window was down and would not wind up, in addition the left hand mirror would not work but the right one did. After explaining everything was fine before dropping it off the dealer said it must be coincidence and the computer indicates it has a faulty module controller (near the ignition). Part has been ordered and will arrive from Melbourne in 2-3 days at a cost of just over $500? Leaving the dealer not happy the lightning bolt light appeared on the dash, I took it back and they reset the computer again and I left once again.... no way it is coincidence.

On Wednesday the dealer replaced the module controller and it failed and they now assume it is the module in the left door and will take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I am very doubtful this is the problem as there was nothing wrong with the Jeep before they upgraded software. Requesting the dealer to re-flash back to the original version to test they said they do not have the old firmware?

Has anyone else upgraded and/or had any problems?

John

Clarky 03-10-2013 02:21 PM

Get the Battery checked Commanders & Grands do very strange things if the battery is low.

Here is some of the problems people are having with the recall
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=128329

Get them to re-do the flash making sure they follow every step to the letter especially the clearing of all codes first before the flash & make sure you get the old parts they said they replaced.

JohnJ 03-10-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky (Post 1418017)
Get the Battery checked Commanders & Grands do very strange things if the battery is low.

Here is some of the problems people are having with the recall
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=128329

Get them to re-do the flash making sure they follow every step to the letter especially the clearing of all codes first before the flash & make sure you get the old parts they said they replaced.

Battery is good as we checked that and the fuses.

With the flash I made the request on the day but they said they did it twice already and could not be the issue. Will see in 2-3 weeks when the part arrives and they try it again.

Clarky 03-10-2013 03:01 PM

Not that I don't trust dealers :rolleyes:
Some have had the flash done several times before it takes.
for your info, here is a copy of the procedure they are supposed to follow
http://www.wkjeeps.com/recalls/recall_n2313.pdf

Clarky 03-10-2013 03:05 PM

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=20970

multihull 13-10-2013 09:18 PM

WARNING - TC recall has huge issues world wide

I had my transfer case recall done Thursday week ago and now I'm having issues with a warning on the Dash. "Service 4WD system" I've checked my diff and transfer oils and all is OK. I notice today that i can here the transfer case motor shifting when I start to drive forward and I can feel the car do a strange hop as I turn out of my drive. I thought this was the ABS wheel speed sensors but found these all to be OK and it's actually the transfer case trying to lock. Similar to when you go to low range. And the engine is not shifting gears until a far higher rev range. Like its in low range.
I have now check out the feed back on the USA jeepcommander.com forum and there's a hole heap of issues this recall has caused.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...er+case+recall
Don't get the recall done unless your ready for the problems.

I'm phoning them tomorrow and asking if they can remove the recall flash to my transfer case. If they don't it's off to court. I'm pissed off!

Fud 14-10-2013 04:19 PM

Thanks for the word of warning Multihull, I was planning to book it in this weekend but I might hold off for a bit now. Please let us know the outcome.

Wanderer 14-10-2013 05:24 PM

Me too..I don't have an issue with the old firmware after 183,000km....I'll hold off as well.... Remember Alfre E Neuman "If it ain't broke don't fix it"...Might just leave it to the next owner to decide.
Mine is for sale......Off to buy a MY14 WK2 CRD Ltd....Well at least order one anyway....Mate ordered his about a month ago and has just been told it's on the warf at Baltimore...Now the top selling SUV here so can expect a wait I guess exspecially with the Offroad Adventure Pack.

multihull 17-10-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multihull (Post 1420477)
I had my transfer case recall done Thursday week ago and now I'm having issues with a warning on the Dash. "Service 4WD system" I've checked my diff and transfer oils and all is OK. I notice today that i can here the transfer case motor shifting when I start to drive forward and I can feel the car do a strange hop as I turn out of my drive. I thought this was the ABS wheel speed sensors but found these all to be OK and it's actually the transfer case trying to lock. Similar to when you go to low range. And the engine is not shifting gears until a far higher rev range. Like its in low range.
I have now check out the feed back on the USA jeepcommander.com forum and there's a hole heap of issues this recall has caused.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...er+case+recall
Don't get the recall done unless your ready for the problems.

I'm phoning them tomorrow and asking if they can remove the recall flash to my transfer case. If they don't it's off to court. I'm pissed off!

They won't reverse the recall flash because it was done as part of a safety issue. Now my car is unsafe because it goes into low range for no reason. Today it jumped into low when I was doing about 20 kph.

Now it looks like I'm about to start a shit fight with the local Jeep Dealership and Jeep Australia. I hope it doesn't come to this and and logic & sensibility prevail.
Stand by for more updates!

08crd 17-10-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multihull (Post 1421284)
They won't reverse the recall flash because it was done as part of a safety issue. Now my car is unsafe because it goes into low range for no reason. Today it jumped into low when I was doing about 20 kph.

Now it looks like I'm about to start a shit fight with the local Jeep Dealership and Jeep Australia. I hope it doesn't come to this and and logic & sensibility prevail.
Stand by for more updates!

They probably can't roll back the update, possibly have to install the original file and then apply all the updates prior to the last one.
I had it installed two weeks ago, and crossed fingers nothing has happened since.
I engaged 4low the other day and then disengaged no problems, hope it stays that way.

Clarky 17-10-2013 09:17 PM

If I had to guess I would say the TCM or the Shifter, some in the US have had to have the shifter replaced after the flash.

The Transmission Control Module may not have taken the flash correctly or the shifter has the crack the flash was designed to protect from.

Still it should have been picked up at the time of the recall when they checked their workmanship & correct operation of the T/C :confused: