AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Chrysler recalls 2006 to 2010 Commanders (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125160)

08crd 22-05-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky (Post 1468751)
To a degree you are probably right but I have a new T/C motor (actuator) and it still faults.
Maybe the issue is like your home PC, sometimes you have to wipe the hard drive & reinstall everything in a set sequence to get it working properly again.
To me the whole thing comes down to the fact that the FDCM is now monitoring something that it wasn't intended to monitor.
With a pre-N23 FDCM in mine I have no problems what so ever.

Clarky, you are probably in a good position to do quick checks, if you have a pre and post flash module.

Can you identify if the car does something after the flash, that it didn't do before the flash. Like when the ignition is switched off, does it engage the transfer case?

Clarky 22-05-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08crd (Post 1468976)
Clarky, you are probably in a good position to do quick checks, if you have a pre and post flash module.

Can you identify if the car does something after the flash, that it didn't do before the flash. Like when the ignition is switched off, does it engage the transfer case?

Pre & post flash transfer case will switch with engine off (ignition in the run position). The only difference I noticed after the flash was the apprehensive feeling I got just before I went to switch into low range ;)

08crd 22-05-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky (Post 1468997)
Pre & post flash transfer case will switch with engine off (ignition in the run position). The only difference I noticed after the flash was the apprehensive feeling I got just before I went to switch into low range ;)

I'm only going from memory, but wasn't the flash initiated because cars would roll when parked, if the hand brake wasn't applied?

I'm guessing, but with the quadra drive it may be possible in high, to have a free wheeling situation.

Maybe the flash, drives the actuator motor to lock the transfer case when the ignition is turned off?

That would highlight a problem with the actuator motor, after the flash.
Just a thought.

sugarman 22-05-2014 09:12 PM

This is my understanding of the N23 recall

Quote:

The Final Drive Controller Module (FDCM) software on your vehicle may unintentionally cause the transfer case to shift into the neutral position without input from the driver. This condition could allow the vehicle to roll away inadvertently while the vehicle is parked and cause a crash without warning.

&

Chrysler issued Security Recall N23, covering roughly 469,000 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 2006-2010 Jeep Commanders. These SUVs are outfitted with the NVG 245 transfercase, and their transfer actuator modules include a circuit board that may possibly develope cracks. which can cause the automobiles to shift into neutral unexpectedly, making the potential for rollaways.

Rather than replacing the circuit boards, Chrysler engineers devised a workaround: a software update that reprogrammed the last driver controller.

Which is a problem as far as I know, associated with the US model with remote start..We don't have that option so do we need the recall??....Have I got this wrong?? .

Clarky 22-05-2014 10:19 PM

In basic terms a cracked/faulty circuit board in the "Actuator" (T/C motor) was causing the FDCM to switch the T/C to neutral at start-up.

A system check is preformed every time you start the car & the signal from the T/C motor with the cracked board emulated the activation of the neutral select sequence.

The flash (I believe) added a tolerance check (for lack of a better description) for the 5 Volt at the T/C motor so if its not within tolerance a fault is generated & the T/C motor is disabled.

A pre-flashed FDCM apparently does not look for the 5 Volts or is more tolerant (not sure of this one) but no "lockout" is triggered if a low of high voltage situation exists.

08crd 22-05-2014 11:50 PM

I would guess, if it is a cracked cct board, it should be able to be identified and possibly repaired.
I've had the ESM out and cleaned it, looking at the board it isn't overly complex.
Do you know which board is causing the issues? If it's the final drive control module were is that located?

Clarky 23-05-2014 02:30 PM

Apparently in the actuator(T/C motor) itself. I have never pulled one apart to confirm this though.