AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   2015 WK weirdness (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147794)

Rod Harrison 03-03-2017 08:26 AM

2015 WK weirdness

My son has a 2015 WK 3.6 Laredo that has been doing some weird stuff in the last few weeks.

He told me that at random times it would suddenly start flashing the dash on and off, turning on the wipers and cycling through a few error messages while setting of every dashboard alarm know to man. It would then return to normal leaving only the battery light lit on the dash until the car was restarted.

I spoke to the local dealership and we both agreed that it may be due to a low battery as this thing can sit unused for four or five weeks at a time.

I put a full charge in it on Wednesday and took it out yesterday to see if it was still playing up. It was.

After travelling about 10Kms the problem returned and got progressively worse during the day. It finally occured to me that it never happened when travelling in a straight line, only when accelerating out of a corner.

Finally as I was accelerating out of a roundabout it shut down completely. Engine stopped, Dash went out and no sign of any electrical power in the car what so ever.

I tried a few time while I was waiting for Jeep Assist, to get it back to life. It only came good when the "Techician" arrived. The dash came back on and it started with no problems.

It's been towed to the dealership but they don't fill me with confidence. I some how think they don't believe me. Have any of you guys come across anything similar?

Rod.

Rod Harrison 03-03-2017 08:29 AM

One more thing. I put my analyzer on it a few time and nothing shows up. Same happened for the guy who came out from Jeep assist.

Rod

Benn0 03-03-2017 08:43 AM

Loose earth cable?

Rod Harrison 03-03-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1605584)
Loose earth cable?

Yeah, that was my first thought. I'll let the dealer chase it as it's under warranty. I only put this up because I've read other accounts of WKs behaving strangely.

I'll stick to my JK.

Rod.

KJ RIDER 03-03-2017 10:04 AM

ditto that

there was a recall and re flash due to dash going blank etc and part of the fix was to check the earth strap on the alternator where it is bolted to the chassis

This is what mine did but not to the extreme as yours, just blank dash, radio channels lost that sort of thing...mine is my14

Rod Harrison 03-03-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ RIDER (Post 1605588)
ditto that

there was a recall and re flash due to dash going blank etc and part of the fix was to check the earth strap on the alternator where it is bolted to the chassis

This is what mine did but not to the extreme as yours, just blank dash, radio channels lost that sort of thing...mine is my14

Thanks for that. I thought this one had had any needed recalls but I'll chase it up.

Rod.

GCDingo 03-03-2017 01:52 PM

Interesting as our MY15 has a few weird electrical problems too. Nothing like yours Rod, but randomly looses radio memory, seat memory (only number 1 not 2 strangely), auto wipers go off when dry and dash occasionally goes dim or blank then come back. I thought it was earth related but haven't got off my butt to check the alternator earth yet. Checked the battery etc but it is very random.