AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Expert Tips (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=275)
-   -   4.0l XJ Overheating (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132344)

tazwegion 05-03-2011 02:20 PM

Great thread guys! :mrgreen:

Personally... I prefer the Tectaloy 90Plus premix/complete fill combined with a 1Lt concentrate "booster" (to the overall cooling system) taking the ratio to between 33~50% EG/W... I do this because my water source is mineralised (alternatively I could collect rain water) ;)

Rodgebone 05-03-2011 06:22 PM

grocery stores dont sell distilled water in Taz?

junglejuice 06-03-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carvesdodo (Post 1171177)

when I lived down there and the HR was a new holden release :D ......

Carves... someone is showing their age!!!!!

tazwegion 06-03-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodgebone (Post 1171576)
grocery stores dont sell distilled water in Taz?

Yeah they do I guess... but when I can pick up a bottle of Tectaloy premix on sale for less why would anyone want to?

BTW Rodge I'm in Victoria :p

dazza96 08-03-2011 11:27 AM

just had a look at the castol web site and they recomend the same coolant as a vy comodore i started a thread about this i while ago and it got shot down but here we are again talking about coolants and mixes

bruggz351 08-03-2011 05:38 PM

Question

Ok, I am ready to replace the coolant (Tap water :oops:) In my XJ. I have a bottle of NULON Ultra Cool concentrate, but I have come accross a cheap readymix that is eth/gly free. It has corrosion inhibitors, lubricants and rubber conditioners in it.
What are your thoughts?
So far, (touch wood) my cooling system has been performing well. (It bloody well should:mad:)

cheers

XJeepers 08-03-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruggz351 (Post 1172423)
Ok, I am ready to replace the coolant (Tap water :oops:) In my XJ. I have a bottle of NULON Ultra Cool concentrate, but I have come accross a cheap readymix that is eth/gly free. It has corrosion inhibitors, lubricants and rubber conditioners in it.
What are your thoughts?
So far, (touch wood) my cooling system has been performing well. (It bloody well should:mad:)

cheers

Wouldn't use anything but demineralised water myself. If you cannot get demineralised water at an auto store or a supermarket, use a premix coolant with eth/gly (and find another auto store :)). If your system is performing so well, why compromise it? why not treat it to the good stuff? I know some brands sate you can use tap water, but why would you want to for the sake of $1 a litre?

Not sure what the "eth/gly free" coolant is you are talking about, but I wouldn't use anything but eth/gly in my XJ. No other reason than that is what the service manual calls for and I do not know what the effect of running a non eth/gly coolant would be on the system, somone else might be able to expand on this.

If you don't get all the old eth/gly coolant out in it entirety I would be worried about the chemical reactions I have heard so much about (some scream "truth" and others scream "myth", but I don't have the $$ to use my rig for R&D).