AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Jeep build up (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   CJ7: Troy's Build (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97372)

Shafus 06-07-2010 10:25 PM

CJ7: Troy's Build

5 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, i have started my build to do my 79 cj, its had a couple a builds over the years but this will be its last. The plan is to run a pair a international scout II dana 44's front and rear, with outboarded spring hanger at the front and do a reverse shackle at the front at the same time. I did look a buying a kit but for the money i just thought why not have a go.

The plan was to do a spring over at the same time but have sense decided to leave spring under with 4" lifted springs. There is a 3" body lift in there now but that will be replaced with with a 1" one and then run 35s.

The running gear will be 350 chev (straght gas) to a T700 auto mated to a Dana300.

Other things i will be doing alone the way -
* Custom front / rear bumbers
* Adding power steering using a holden box and pump
* Changing tail lights to TJ lights
* Moving rear diff back 1"
* Moving front diff forward while outboarding springs
* Custom spare tyre swing away carrier
* Custom side steps

I have started the build and hope to be done in a few months, well i would like to drive it again in summer:D I have a company car so no rush and its far to cold here to work out side.
I have started the bumpers with the front going to be used for the outboarded spring hangers, enjoy the pics and will try to add more as i go.

Adro 06-07-2010 10:35 PM

Cool, are you going the whole hog and spraying it? New tires rims, soft top, keeping the hard top?
Wow CJ7's are over 30 years old now!

Maz 06-07-2010 10:37 PM

look forward to watching this thread. Give me some inspiration for my scrambler.

TOYROX 07-07-2010 10:42 AM

Scout diffs are good choice. You will find you will pick up a few inches with the shackle reversal and the outboarded springs. Purely because the front and rear mounts will sit higher. If you use FSJ front springs they are a tad longer and will make the front diff sit a bit further forward, TJ pitman arm is a little shorter then the CJ and may be needed to clear the steer links. XJ leafs seem to work well in the rear and can be mounted to extend the W/B. If you cut the rear wells higher and use tube fenders you will get away with not lifting the thing to the moon. I gotta stop now drooling is getting to bad.

TOYROX 07-07-2010 10:44 AM

Not sure I like the front bar as it is shown. Looks a bit longhorn style.

Shafus 07-07-2010 06:33 PM

yeah i have a soft spot for my jeep, made the same year i was born;-). I would like to respray it once i work every thing out but at this point in time its not on the cards, there will be new rims getting sourced now, and the hard top will stay as its only on in winter when i play in the mud.

I would like to change the springs but its not in the budget, so the cj springs stay and this keeps the modding and costs down. As for the front bumber its far from finished and i can see what you mean, i have never been a fan of the little short ones.

Adro 07-07-2010 10:00 PM

What's going on with this site?
There is little stickers over all the photos now????