AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Welding and Fabriction advice 101 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96096)

murray 21-05-2010 10:31 PM

Welding and Fabriction advice 101

well fellow jeepers i have noted that alot of you are starting to dable in fab and weld so i am setting this up as a sticky.
how it will work is i will advise and answer questions as a boilermaker 1st class welder of 35 years .
your post as a question will be left for no more than 48 hours were it will be answered in my posts.the question and answer will be put into the post i have started the question post yuo have put up will the be deleated this way it will keep unessacary serching and off topic non inforative talk.

NOTE THIS DISCLAIMER
ADVICE THAT IS GIVEN IS TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLDGE CORRECT AT THE TIME AND THE FACT THAT ALL PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT WAYS OF INTERPRETING ADVICE AND COVERTING TO A PRACTICLE MANNER
YUO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS.

ian 21-05-2010 10:39 PM

sounds good...........

MR EXTREME JEEP 22-05-2010 12:22 AM

Might be a good idea then to search out all previous threads with usefull info and tips and add them to your "super thread". I think the 48hour thingo is way too soon.

murray 22-05-2010 12:37 AM

after the 48 hours the question with its answer will be tranferd into the main body of the sticky so it will still be there

murray 25-05-2010 11:23 AM

safety is #1

well all the most import ant thing i can think of is personal safety when doing any type of weld /cutting or fab
the most important tool at your disposal is between your ears
before yuo start take time to think of the hazards accosiated
with each task that you under take.
when using arc welding gear always wear full covering non flamable clothing boots are good coz nylon joggers dont stop the hot drops of flux ans metal
wear gloves leather of some description
and a weld helmet
one thing most lay men dont think of is hearing protection
ear plugs not only stop damaging noise but also stop hot sparks going down the ear canal
this i know as i have a hole burnt through my ear drum
not nice
if you are under yuor jeep doing any weld or fab
make sure that it is blocked correctly
with stands not just a jack
we have already lost a member a few years ago:(
just be carefull and think
now in saying all this let move on for our next installment

glend 25-05-2010 12:06 PM

Murray I'm about to head off on the SJC Simpson Desert trip and wanted to take along a bush welding kit. I have a 130amp stick welder and have made and repaired things over the years so I know how to handle that and how to produce a reasonable weld. I have all the bits and pieces that I need for the Bush Welding kit, and know how to hook the batteries up, so ...

my question is: How do I control the amps that I am pulling from the batteries?

Thanks
glend

murray 28-05-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glend (Post 1079105)
Murray I'm about to head off on the SJC Simpson Desert trip and wanted to take along a bush welding kit. I have a 130amp stick welder and have made and repaired things over the years so I know how to handle that and how to produce a reasonable weld. I have all the bits and pieces that I need for the Bush Welding kit, and know how to hook the batteries up, so ...

my question is: How do I control the amps that I am pulling from the batteries?

Thanks
glend

the only way you can control it is by the amount of batterys
2 =24 ocv
3 =36 ocv
it will be like some of the old single phase welders of years ago
had 3 outlets high med and low
suggestion for yuo do yuo have a gen set
depending on the kva out put it might run a 130 amp dc inverter welder