AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   TJ Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Legality of no doors? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45311)

cannibal 15-08-2003 12:43 PM

Legality of no doors?

Having just spent 10mins on the phone to the QLD Dept of Transport, I am no closer to finding the answer to my question, is it legal to remove doors and drive on the road?
Girl on phone to understand why I would want to do such a thing.
Have seen a nice blue CJ down surfers with its doors always off, and have mirror relocators on mine, but not sure if its legal to drive without them.
Most of the jeep is prob not all that legal anyway, but no doors would prob attract more attention of the legal kind if it wasn't legal.
Anyone know the answer?

wiz 15-08-2003 12:49 PM

apperently it has something to with when side intrusion bars were made legal,
in 1998 i think :? ,
so if ya jeep was built after this then technically you cann't take off the doors :cry: ...
if its a 97 like mine then ...WOO-HOO!!! :D
just need to find this legislation and keep a copy in the glove-box :roll: ...just in case :wink:

Wooders 15-08-2003 01:25 PM

I think it was July 97 that the intrusion bars because a requirement (vague drunk mind can't remember exactly).....
I drive doorless frequently and have never had a problem...not even a question...and that included sitting for a breath test and the cop was standing right where my rear vision mirror would have been....

cannibal 15-08-2003 01:34 PM

Heard something about the side intrusion bars, couldnt see any though when had the interior trim removed of my 2000 wrangler?
Guess if they are not there, then it wont matter if I have no doors :D

MR. 04 X IV 15-08-2003 02:42 PM

As you said Scott, your jeep's not legal in many ways now, so why not.... :D
I got pulled over for a breath test yesterday, with no front numberplate(just painted front bar) and my new wheels sticking out about 1inch from the guards....with not even a show of slight concern from either officers.

I think they've got better things to do/people to worry about then us 'law abiding' 4wd enthusiasts. :roll:

NoFear 15-08-2003 03:09 PM

If you could find the legislation outling the legality of it, then that would help. An Officer does not have to prove the vehicle is unroadworthy to defect it. He/she only as to have cause to believe it is. It's then up to the driver/owner to prove to the Transport/Road/Vehicle Authority that the vehicle is roadworthy before you're vehicle can then be driven.

All of that can just be avoided by being able to show/state if it is legal to the cop. Remember, even coppers have grumpy days when they wil ticket and defect EVERYONE! :oops:

I'd look it up, but I've tried researching something in the ADR's before, and they are HUGE!

Black_TJ 15-08-2003 08:35 PM

MY oter half has been pulled over for numerous offenses and aledged offences :lol: and was never hasselled about any of bits and pieces missing off the car or the tyres hanging out....... but the other day she was pulled up and her cousin was a smart arse to the cop...as a result he found every fault with the car right down the the diff leak........ so the moral of the story is smile and say yes officer :)