AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   how to swap out front coil springs (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151665)

awg 27-12-2017 01:53 PM

how to swap out front coil springs

In the not to distant future, I will need to swap the sagged suspension out of my black DD for the lifted parts from my white one.

I checked Go-Jeeps website, and he shows a method that is not the same as the FSM, which advises drop the entire front axle housing down.

Checked Youtube, there is a guy Bleepin Jeep, shows external coil compressors and pry bars, I do not wish to attempt this method, as I consider it too dangerous (especially the way he does it)

Do I need to go the full FSM method, or is there another safe way to get the springs out, considering I will be putting back in +3" taller springs, and new longer bump stops

Jimmyb 27-12-2017 04:54 PM

You will need spring conpressors, you can get the from Super Cheap, they are not dangerous providing you use they in a safe manner, also it can help if you drop the lower control arm bolts.

LuluBelle 27-12-2017 05:22 PM

spring compressors yes very handy especially when doing struts ...
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

awg 27-12-2017 08:32 PM

Have used spring compressors before, and with the external paired type, dont mind compressing them and inch or two to make life easier...but not 4" or more, not spread 180*, then levered in with a prybar...in that case only shock and swaybar disconnected

had another look at Go-jeeps description and he states to disconnect Control Arms, then track rod if required, so I guess I will just find out

rustynuts 27-12-2017 09:02 PM

I allways unbolt the lower control arms at the body side. Undo the track bar at the axle. Remove shocks and lower the axle away. Never used spring compressors even wuth 4 inch springs.

junglejuice 02-01-2018 07:38 AM

If you loosen all the control arms, disconnect the panhard rod and disconnect the lower control arms (one side at a time, the side you're working on) then you won't need spring compressors, I use a trolley jack under the diff and the OEM bottle jack to wind the diff into the correct spot (usually from the rear of the diff to the chassis) and it all goes together pretty easy and controlled, forget the spring compressors....