AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Never ending Diesel dilemas (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147208)

Capt. Crunch 15-01-2017 11:01 PM

Never ending Diesel dilemas

So I've continued in my ventures to getting my TD cherokee to a happy place..

I've fitted an aftermarket oil cooler and everything seems to be going well (touch wood) 500km after rebuild.

Today I found a damn leak in the left bottom corner of my radiator. It's got one of those crappy plastic tank radiators. Anyone have any suggestions on best place to source a heavy duty radiator? Best I found was alloy at $700AUD, at that rate I'm almost inclined to have this plastic crap serviced for the time being.

Anyone replaced the intercooler with a better aftermarket unit? I've found some air/water coolers that I'm considering on giving a go as they are rated to have less than 0.5psi drop across the intercooler. Similar shape to the original so should be able to sit in its place quite easily.

Anyone think I'm going to far with this and should sink it in the ocean? I'm starting to...

Costing me a fortune and I haven't even started the fun stuff yet :(

Scorechild 20-01-2017 04:50 AM

If you think you're going too far, that probably makes me an idiot;

I had some place 'make' me a new intercooler. Seems to have cost me UKŁ388 incl. shipping in 2009 - which would have been about AUD800 the internet tells me.

Capt. Crunch 22-01-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorechild (Post 1601727)
If you think you're going too far, that probably makes me an idiot;

I had some place 'make' me a new intercooler. Seems to have cost me UKŁ388 incl. shipping in 2009 - which would have been about AUD800 the internet tells me.

I'm writing it off as the total cost of this project is still well below buying a clapped out GQ or 80 series. I'll put my limit at 10k

The aftermarket cooler is to replace the stock one as mine had bearing material through it from when the engine blew.

Engine rebuild was due to the replacement being stuffed. That whole episode just escalated but its done now and I'm happy that I have a good starting point.

Radiator replacement was found in the UK for under $400 delivered. Should be here in the next week.

Lift is midway through being installed. The AEV coils netted me a 3.5" lift up front, went from 18.5" wheel centre to guard to 22".

I'll just slowly play with it from here I guess. Will pull the exhaust manifold and heat wrap it, have a look into a turbo back exhaust system (recommendations welcome) and check the boost pre and post intercooler to compare and determine how much is being lost before replacing it.

Capt. Crunch 04-02-2017 09:31 PM

Took her on a long drive last weekend.
Some how the 3 nuts holding the turbo let go and the gasket got destroyed.

This weekend I removed all piping, found the fault, had a struggle and a half getting the turbo to drop (keeps hitting the starter).

Couldn't find anywhere open on Saturday afternoon to find a replacement gasket. On a side note if anyone in Perth has one let me know please, or point me in a direction where I can have one by Friday.

Installed the new radiator while I was busy, just waiting for the gasket to arrive and then I'll reassemble and cross my fingers it all runs well for once.