AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Welding and Fabriction advice 101 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96096)

murray 20-03-2011 12:50 AM

yuo could get a cig weld skill 130 amp dc invertor welder they usr 10 amp plugs

Morgs 20-03-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murray (Post 1175455)
yuo could get a cig weld skill 130 amp dc invertor welder they usr 10 amp plugs

Murray thanks for the advice. I just found the welder on ebay for $260 including postage. For that price and not having to organise a 15A point, I think I will just grab it so that I can get things done.

murray 20-03-2011 06:26 PM

this is mine
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CIGWELD-INVER...item230f00f4a6

Wooders 05-10-2011 11:54 PM

Dr Murray, your opinion if I may?
I currently have a single DIN cheap auto darkening Tecmen helmet.
I am absolutely FEEDUP with how many times I've coped a flash, how little you can see whilst welding & also the fast off at the end of a run means you get a parting flash too.
My thoughts are I'd rather spend some good money on a GOOD helmet as my eyes are bad enough already and I sorta think a few hunG on decent helemt is a good investment. Problem is I don't really know the good brands & what to avoid????
Mr ACJ suggested the CIG helmet, Then I started looking at Elliot's Viper range and now I'm considering the Speedglas.
Any words of advise or other recommendation?

kennyboy 06-10-2011 04:34 AM

Speediglas are alway good, when I did my trade all the welders had them and wouldn't use anything else. I still use the old flip down helmet cause I don't do enough welding to justify buying a helmet the pricey and I won't buy a crap one cause like. You said eyes are precious

wrangler2010 06-10-2011 10:16 AM

I have an Optrel auto darkening helmet. About $500 when I purchased it a few years back. Absolutely love it.

When deciding on what brand to get make sure that spares are easily obtained. Also the time to switch should be less than 0.2MS and comply to AS/NZS.

I would also select a model that has grinding mode (which mine does not have). Also adjustable shade level on the outside of the helmet is desirable.

If you go to a reputable welding supplies store in your area they will stock good quality helmets and offer support and spares to suit.

murray 06-10-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooders (Post 1226279)
Dr Murray, your opinion if I may?
I currently have a single DIN cheap auto darkening Tecmen helmet.
I am absolutely FEEDUP with how many times I've coped a flash, how little you can see whilst welding & also the fast off at the end of a run means you get a parting flash too.
My thoughts are I'd rather spend some good money on a GOOD helmet as my eyes are bad enough already and I sorta think a few hunG on decent helemt is a good investment. Problem is I don't really know the good brands & what to avoid????
Mr ACJ suggested the CIG helmet, Then I started looking at Elliot's Viper range and now I'm considering the Speedglas.
Any words of advise or other recommendation?

at home i have a cig auto darkenig adjust able hemet
shades 9-13 internal grinding mode switch
variable lag and dwell time cost approx $115.00
at work i have a sperion optrel sattelite top of the wozza helmut
every thing is adjustable from the out side and can be set down to a 4-5 shade so it is good for a oxy work
the main thing of this helmet is that the carcass and lens cartridge is high impact rated nearly all others are not so thesse are real safe to grind with in case of disc shattering
cost around $500.oo

Wooders 06-10-2011 02:09 PM

Well I opted for a Speedglas 9100xx.
Would have liked the flip up to grind feature of the FX series - but couldn't really justify the extra cost.
Hopefully will end up being a good choice - but HAS to be miles better than the POS I've been suffering.

2JeepFamily 07-10-2011 08:45 PM

Wooders from memory the new Speedglas has a grind mode, you have to
hold 2 buttons and it won't darken. The are also impact rated. I use to have
a XX and you just can't beat that view.