AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   XJ 95 Gremlin Advice Please (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42898)

Kramer 03-08-2002 08:24 AM

XJ 95 Gremlin Advice Please

Gidday

There is an XJ 95 Cherokee that I’m looking at in Beaconfield (Melbourne) tomorrow (Sunday) arvo.

I’ve checked Redbook and they say I should be paying between $13,600 and $16,600 for it, so it sounds like it’s pretty much in the right bracket, he wants $14,200 and it’s done 160,000 k’s, one owner.

Are there any gremlins to look for other than answers to the obvious XJ 95 questions – when did the starter motor go, when did the water pump go, what has the auto done and what fluid is in the auto box (BTW, what colour should this be, and don’t say red – what tone??)

If anyone has other suggestions, please post here, email me (mskramer@urban.net.au) or phone me on 0421 909 389 – I’ll gladly return the call so it costs ya sod all.

Ta,

Markus Kramer

Nige 04-08-2002 05:01 AM

One thing I would check is the frame around the steering box. There was a recall from Jeep in regards to missing welds near the steering box which could result in cracking of the frame. In fact just ask the owner if they received the recall, if they don't know anything about it then I would look closely around the steering box.

The auto should be using Dexron III ATF, and red to dark red in colour, but certainly not brown. Just use a clean white tissue and wipe the auto tranny dipstick to see what colour it is.

Kramer 04-08-2002 06:55 AM

Thanks Nige,

Have inspected the rig and have insisted on an auto service. If it comes back with a clean bill of health I'm happy enough ojn that front.

Will check the steering situation when I go back later in the week for the second (and hopefully final) look.

Appreciate the input.

TW. 04-08-2002 10:18 PM

kramer, you should be looking for a a 96 model, they had a better motor. there is a good white one for sale by "XJ blackie" cos he just traded to a 99 & has his 96 for sale. e-mail me & i'll forward it to him if you like.
its in the same sort of $$ range

Kramer 05-08-2002 07:41 AM

Thanks TW,

I'll keep it in mind, lets see how this other one pans out. Cheers, Kramer.