AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   2.7crd double cardan conversion (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154697)

freerider170 10-01-2019 01:52 PM

2.7crd double cardan conversion

i found a set of varilok diff to put in my wj, and at the same time i want to go for a double cardan front shaft. what do i need?
i have a double cardan and both yokes from a V8, will this fit on the crd?
thanks

JoergM 10-01-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freerider170 (Post 1644598)
i found a set of varilok diff to put in my wj, and at the same time i want to go for a double cardan front shaft. what do i need?

i have a double cardan and both yokes from a V8, will this fit on the crd?

thanks

I guess if the CRD has the same layout as the V8 you should be good. I have a NV/NP247 transfer case and a Dana 30 front diff and I have a double cardan driveshaft. I assume the diff and the transfer case sits on both models on the same spot.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

JeanLuke 10-01-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoergM (Post 1644600)
I assume the diff and the transfer case sits on both models on the same spot.

I'm not sure about that. The yokes may fit but the shafts may be a different lengths. The CRD has a different crossmember, too, which hints of differences.

Straubz 10-01-2019 02:43 PM

I believe the crd has a different gearbox which would most likely mean a different length shaft would be needed, it would be fairly cheap to go to a drive shaft speciallist to get it changed to the right length and rebalanced anyway.
I know the 4.0 and the 4.7 need different lengths according to IRO when i bought mine.

Also if its not a double double cardan(one at both ends) you will most likely need adjustable control arms to set the pinion angle.

JeanLuke 10-01-2019 02:53 PM

Freerider, are you going to share the story about getting the varilock diffs? I've been half-heartedly looking myself. Is this payback for me beating you to the snorkel? :-)

freerider170 10-01-2019 03:39 PM

jeanluke, i guess it is, the story is i scored a crd overland with 169000kms on it for a really good price, but the clear coat is peeling everywhere...
so i'm putting the gear on mine(i'm thinking to do a engine swap as well, but not decided yet), mine as 225000 on it.

freerider170 10-01-2019 03:43 PM

on IRO you can choose between 4.0 i6 or 4.7 v8/2.7crd.
so the v8 and crd should be the same.