AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Q&A about the JK diesel (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74496)

matr 27-01-2008 07:05 AM

Q&A about the JK diesel

My TJ is on ebay at the mo coz I jusi could not take the punishment at the pump any longer.
So now I am looking for an alternative and a JK is one of the options.
So with this in mind, I am hoping you guys can answer some questions for me.
1. What sort of fuel economy are you getting from the two engine variants?
2. What does the two door diesel go like compared to the four door?
3. Are the next gen Dana's still fitted with unit bearing hubs?
4. How good are the factory lockers?
5. What sort of a wait am I going to have after ordering?

I have not had a chance to get to a dealership yet so any help you could give would be appreciated.

wranglertj 27-01-2008 07:26 AM

i cant speak for the diesel variant but there are heaps of posts that rave about it and i am sure you will get heaps of diesel responses.
But my unlimited rubicon gets on average around town 13.5-14Litres/100km around town and about 11.5l/100km country (i dont drive it real hard)
The lockers, front and rear, i have used a fair bit and never missed a beat, they have been fantastic. I used to have a fairly modded TJ with front and rear ARB lockers and to be honest i have not noticed the arb's to be any better or worse than the factory rubicons lockers. To be honest i feel a little more secure knowing that there is not an air line that could get snagged on things.
Also, only the rubicon gets Dana 44 at the front and unfortunnately rubicon is only available in petrol

SME304 27-01-2008 08:38 AM

if you are looking at the diesel in the offroad pack im sorry to tell you that they are not going to do it now,,,,i just ordered a 4dr diesel auto with the renegade pack they told me about 6-12 weeks

ksk 27-01-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matr (Post 821000)
My TJ is on ebay at the mo coz I jusi could not take the punishment at the pump any longer.
So now I am looking for an alternative and a JK is one of the options.
So with this in mind, I am hoping you guys can answer some questions for me.
1. What sort of fuel economy are you getting from the two engine variants?
2. What does the two door diesel go like compared to the four door?
3. Are the next gen Dana's still fitted with unit bearing hubs?
4. How good are the factory lockers?
5. What sort of a wait am I going to have after ordering?

I have not had a chance to get to a dealership yet so any help you could give would be appreciated.

I got the 2 door JK CRD with 4500 clicks on it..

1. Im doing 600-700 kms with the 66l tank depending on the driving conditions. Its roughly 9.7 litres to 100KM.
2. A better ability due to the shorter wheel base offroad. Its lighter than the four door. Is more prone to tipping than the four door.
3. got no idea..
4. doesnt have any..
5. Couple of months is what i hear.

KSK

Tiny 27-01-2008 02:18 PM

mate got the 4 door crd
runs around the 12.5 mark in town and the best highway i have had was 8.9 dut that was 100kmh with cruise usually around 10's but put the boot in and things change real quick the worst i have had is 14.6 which was in soft sand
the thing feels steady to drive you drive it normaly it feel strong but nothing over the top just a nice steady car. put the lead boot on and the thing turns into a rocket ship will launch off the mark and the first couple of gears will come around very fast if you turn the esp off it will spin at every corner without thinking
i cant speak for the 2 door but it has a lot less weight so should go even better
the new ones are different as mine is running the 4.11 ratios
dont have lockers as mine is a sport (cant get the rubi in diesel) but i have tried to get it stuck and with the esp it will help (it definatly inst as good as lockers not even in the same ball park)

Tiny 27-01-2008 02:20 PM

matr what state do you live in if it is portland nsw i will be in Orange in a couple of weeks would be happy to take you for a run in mine

matr 29-01-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiny (Post 821066)
matr what state do you live in if it is portland nsw i will be in Orange in a couple of weeks would be happy to take you for a run in mine

Thanks for the offer but it is Portland, Vic.
It spins me out that Jeep did not offer the diesel in the sport and the rubicon. That being said, there is a black JK sport shorty CRD on ebay at the moment that says it has lockers. Is this a mistake?