AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Help Please! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152035)

I'mJeepedAs 06-02-2018 11:43 AM

Help Please!

I have a 09 JK 2.8 Diesel and have just had a rebuilt motor put in. The JK has been running good for the last month but this morning the engine shut off while reversing out the driveway. It wont start but cranks really well. I've done the diagnostic code trick with the key in the ignition and no codes come up. The car has new injectors, glow plugs and fuel filter. Does anyone have any ideas before i get a mechanic to take a look? I'm starting to lose faith in this JK and think that the petrol would have been a better buy.

rjl3175 06-02-2018 02:57 PM

First place to look is the fuel pump in the tank running?

Freetripper 06-02-2018 03:01 PM

Check all the plugs to the fuel rail and injectors and sensors, my bet would be one is loose or incorrectly plugged in and vibrated out, or fuse blown for fuel pump.
Just my 2 cents worth, start with the simple things.
Hope it turns out to be something simple.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

I'mJeepedAs 06-02-2018 07:14 PM

I've checked all the plugs on the fuel rail and everything is connected. I can hear the fuel pump when i turn the key on. I can't find my multimeter to check the fuses though. Is the diagnostic check with the key and dash reliable?

MightyMouse 07-02-2018 06:06 AM

No the key check is a bit of a Joke....... especially on the diesel. Plug in a real scan tool and hope :-)

The bad news is the diesel's fault codes are also pretty thin - Jeep did just enough work to make it meet the minimum legal OBDII requirements but no more.

Hoasco 07-02-2018 06:51 AM

I own a CRD, never payed much attention to the injection system though, but I would do the following on any diesel that was not running. A lot of assumptions but common rail diesel stuff is all pretty similar.

Crack the line that goes into the fuel rail, see if you have pressure. That should give you an idea what direction in the fuel system to look.

No pressure. Check for pressure after the fuel filter, no pressure check filter and electric pump in tank. If you have pressure, then the only thing left forward of that is the high pressure pump.

If you have pressure at the rail you need to check if the injectors are working. On my VDJ79, I could hold my fingers against an injector and feel it fire when it was turning over. I don't know if this will work for the CRD. Otherwise you need to check the injector signal with a noid light.

If all that is sweet and you have fuel pressure, its most likely a wiring issue somewhere.

Turismo07 07-02-2018 10:02 AM

Could also be the crank angle sensor, sometimes these can be faulty and not throw a code too. On the JK CRD's they are mounted in a very stupid place at the bottom of the motor where the bellhousing bolts up, but it makes it easy to check the wiring/plug etc though.