AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Setting up new WK2 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148142)

Numb Thumbs 01-04-2017 02:16 PM

Setting up new WK2

So I am starting again from scratch...

I'll be collecting a new Grand Cherokee Limited CRD with Off Road II Pack - Quadralift II, E-Diff, Quadradrive II and bash plates soon and I have to set it up for touring like the previous 2013 model.

Extra Fuel:

I will fit an auxiliary tank, I assume the LRA 75 litre one - is there a good alternative?

Snorkel:

I will fit a snorkel, more for dust than deep water. I had the early AirFlow one, but now there is competition with the Murchison one. Any others? Peoples thoughts/preferences?

Front Protection:

I had the alloy full Uneek bar on the previous one, but I would like try to keep the weight down as much as possible. I want some frontal protection and some where to mount the LED lights. I don't want to mount a winch at present - weight as much as anything.

So far I have looked at:

Uneek Alloy single hoop bar. VERY expensive, nearly $3000!

Uneek Pre-runner with top bush bar (so I have to have the hidden winch mount whether I want it or not.

Uneek Nudge Bar

Chief Products Nudge Bar

Is there anything I have not found???

Thoughts???

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

GTiBren 01-04-2017 02:38 PM

Do you consider going to a different brand? If so, what was on the short list?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Numb Thumbs 01-04-2017 03:01 PM

Sorry, different brand of what?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

purplexj 01-04-2017 08:02 PM

I have the pre-runner set up with both sets of bars and the Uneek bash plate. Went this way for exactly the same reasons, want recovery points, somewhere for set of lights, and a little protection all without huge increase in weight. I know some would say that you are not getting much protection, however the bash plate is taking care of rocks, tree stumps etc etc, and the extra steel work for the winch cradle is strengthening up the front bumper in case Skippy doesn't see me coming. I have had the miss fortune of a couple of animal strikes with and without bullbars. With the bullbar, undrivable, without limped home with broken intercooler. From my experience it deepens on the size of the animal and what position they are in when you make contact, and of course the speed. Many would argue differently, that's cool, it is the same for winches should I go all out and mount one on the front or just go with the hand winch for the once only time I get myself stuck and we can't snatch out.

Sent from my SM-T360 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Numb Thumbs 02-04-2017 09:09 AM

Thanks, purplxj. That was very useful information. I will have to have a look at one at the factory.

Any other suggestions?? Anyone??

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

PS Weight is a major concern as I found myself over GVM on several occasions - without even trying!

Troutman 02-04-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs (Post 1607867)
PS Weight is a major concern as I found myself over GVM on several occasions - without even trying!

Certainly see some heavy pigs around. Bullbar, underbody armor, roofrack, rock rails, winch, rear bar, all add up to turn a stallion into a donkey pretty quick IMO.

GCDingo 02-04-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplexj (Post 1607845)
I have the pre-runner set up with both sets of bars and the Uneek bash plate. Went this way for exactly the same reasons, want recovery points, somewhere for set of lights, and a little protection all without huge increase in weight. I know some would say that you are not getting much protection, however the bash plate is taking care of rocks, tree stumps etc etc, and the extra steel work for the winch cradle is strengthening up the front bumper in case Skippy doesn't see me coming. I have had the miss fortune of a couple of animal strikes with and without bullbars. With the bullbar, undrivable, without limped home with broken intercooler. From my experience it deepens on the size of the animal and what position they are in when you make contact, and of course the speed. Many would argue differently, that's cool, it is the same for winches should I go all out and mount one on the front or just go with the hand winch for the once only time I get myself stuck and we can't snatch out.

Sent from my SM-T360 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Hmmm hand winch. Have you ever used one? They are a serious workout even on an easy slope. If you are getting on in years (no offence to any) but just get an electric winch if you are in areas that may require one. The weight is basically the same but either on front of car or in boot. Can't use synthetic rope on a hand winch.

I have ORAII so have the bash plates. Just bought chief lower guard and bash plate, chief hooks and mopar rock rails.

I think it is a catch 22 with bullbars. Yes they are protection but they also when hit hard enough probably cause more damage than a flexible plastic bumper. I think the pre runner is a good idea. Allows you to fit a winch later if needed.