AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheres the best spots to drive? (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Tips for a sand driving noob (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149929)

Taprod 11-09-2017 12:35 PM

Tips for a sand driving noob
 

Hey all,

Taking the family to port macquarie this week and thought I might head along the point plomer track and try to get the jeep on the beach.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience no these beaches and can tell me a bit about the conditions? I've never driven on sand before and have no mods apart from my K02s, but was planning on just deflating my tyres and potentially borrowing some maxtrax off a mate.

ANything else I should be careful of? I'll be on my own, no secondary vehicle to pull me out if needed.

Nanook 11-09-2017 01:09 PM

Drop your pressures to around 16 psi. Try to drive in the tracks of others as the sand will be compressed.

Don't go below the high tide mark. If you do get stuck on the change of tide, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Avoid using your brakes to stop unless you have to. It's better to let the vehicle roll to a stop. This is so you don't dig in.

Carry a shovel and recovery tracks. Even the cheap $100 ones off ebay work.

Carry D shackles and a snatch strap. There is nothing worse than helping someone who is bogged that doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

And if someone does help you, thank them. Please don't be the arsehole that believes they are entitled to have someone pull them out. There are plenty like that out there and they are reason why a lot of people out there don't bother helping anymore.

Apart from that, have fun. There is nothing better than sand driving on a beautiful day.

Taprod 11-09-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1619673)
Drop your pressures to around 16 psi. Try to drive in the tracks of others as the sand will be compressed.

Don't go below the high tide mark. If you do get stuck on the change of tide, you could be in a lot of trouble.

Avoid using your brakes to stop unless you have to. It's better to let the vehicle roll to a stop. This is so you don't dig in.

Carry a shovel and recovery tracks. Even the cheap $100 ones off ebay work.

Carry D shackles and a snatch strap. There is nothing worse than helping someone who is bogged that doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

And if someone does help you, thank them. Please don't be the arsehole that believes they are entitled to have someone pull them out. There are plenty like that out there and they are reason why a lot of people out there don't bother helping anymore.

Apart from that, have fun. There is nothing better than sand driving on a beautiful day.

Thanks Nanook, can't believe anyone wouldn't be thankful for being pulled out of the sand! Anyway, good suggestion, I will ask to borrow the snatch strap and shackle of the same mate I am going to ask about maxtrax - we leave tomorrow so i have left buying all of these things a little late.

Been waiting to try the sand for a while as a bit of practice before I do fraser next year and it would of course be preferable to go with another vehicle but I'm just going to give it a crack. The beaches up near point plomer are meant to be great for fishing, so I'm going to try and work that in too.

Nanook 11-09-2017 01:54 PM

Most though are genuinely thankful but it can become frustrating when the person you are helping doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

Unfortunately there are some real idiots out there that honestly seem to think that you are obliged to help them.I've come across a few as I spend most of my off roading on sand. These are the ones that think a RAV4 or a Subaru Forester are more than suitable for soft sand or don't air down because they don't have a compressor.

I used to help everyone that needed it but now will only help those that have tried to do the right thing in the first place.

Maxx traxx and a shovel will get yourself out of all but the most dire of circumstances. I travel on beaches by myself all the time and have never had to need anything else.

I also carry an air jack but I've never had to use it. I also have at least one ratchet strap in case I peel a tyre off the rim but if you stick to going to no lower than 12 psi and avoid sharp turns, you would have to be very unlucky to do so.

Sand driving isn't that difficult and is awesome fun. On Soft sand go down to around 16psi but don't be afraid to go lower if you do become stuck.

Taprod 11-09-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 1619678)
Most though are genuinely thankful but it can become frustrating when the person you are helping doesn't even have the basics to help themselves.

Unfortunately there are some real idiots out there that honestly seem to think that you are obliged to help them.I've come across a few as I spend most of my off roading on sand. These are the ones that think a RAV4 or a Subaru Forester are more than suitable for soft sand or don't air down because they don't have a compressor.

I used to help everyone that needed it but now will only help those that have tried to do the right thing in the first place.

Maxx traxx and a shovel will get yourself out of all but the most dire of circumstances. I travel on beaches by myself all the time and have never had to need anything else.

I also carry an air jack but I've never had to use it. I also have at least one ratchet strap in case I peel a tyre off the rim but if you stick to going to no lower than 12 psi and avoid sharp turns, you would have to be very unlucky to do so.

Sand driving isn't that difficult and is awesome fun. On Soft sand go down to around 16psi but don't be afraid to go lower if you do become stuck.

Cheers mate. I figured that the maxtracks, a shovel and airing down would cover most of it off. I will also pick up a bow shackle and hitch receiver for the rear - I don't have front recovery points yet but from what I hear, reversing out is often the best method anyway.

Nanook 11-09-2017 03:32 PM

Momentum is the key but if you do get stuck. STOP. Do not try and accelerate out. You will just make youself harder to dig out LOL.

Try reversing a metre or so then go forward again. 9 times out of 10 this all you need to get yourself moving again.

lujabe 11-09-2017 04:37 PM

Also worth mentioning, with all the electrickery in 4x4's these days, be aware that traction control is not your friend in sand. It will brake the wheels that spin, which in soft sand is all of them... In the Cherokee, hit sand in the wrong mode without traction control turned off and it'll embarrass you and stop/bog pretty much immediately - The press of a button or two and the capability of the vehicle is transformed - so I'd recommend brushing up on how it all works in your vehicle.

Grippy 11-09-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lujabe (Post 1619688)
Also worth mentioning, with all the electrickery in 4x4's these days, be aware that traction control is not your friend in sand. It will brake the wheels that spin, which in soft sand is all of them... In the Cherokee, hit sand in the wrong mode without traction control turned off and it'll embarrass you and stop/bog pretty much immediately - The press of a button or two and the capability of the vehicle is transformed - so I'd recommend brushing up on how it all works in your vehicle.

My mate found this out in his new FJ Cruiser, traction and other rubbish all turned on and she bogs down and stops moving all together, haha

Sent from under my Grand Cherokee

Tyvokka 11-09-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1619679)
Cheers mate. I figured that the maxtracks, a shovel and airing down would cover most of it off. I will also pick up a bow shackle and hitch receiver for the rear - I don't have front recovery points yet but from what I hear, reversing out is often the best method anyway.

Front recovery points are essential IMHO.


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

AJOR 2002 - 2019 AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM. All corporate trademarked names and logos are property of their respective owners. Ausjeepoffroad is in no way associated with DaimlerChrysler Corporation or Fiat Jeep.
www.ausjeep.com www.ausjeep.com.au www.midlifemate.com ausjeepforum.com Jeep Wrangler JL Australia release

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=