AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Another tube fender build up for tj's (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87521)

Mitch_TJ 23-06-2009 09:11 PM

Another tube fender build up for tj's

3 Attachment(s)
Hey jeepers, Just thought i'd post up some pics and info on the tube fenders i'm making for the tj. Im using 35mm inside diameter tube with 90 degree mandrel bends to suit. I dont have a tube bender handy thats why im using the bends.

This is how they are looking so far...

ian 23-06-2009 09:25 PM

were does the tube weld to under the door? slider?

Mitch_TJ 24-06-2009 06:24 AM

It welds to my sliders which are bolted to chassis.

ian 24-06-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch_TJ (Post 981492)
It welds to my sliders which are bolted to chassis.

be carful because you have the fender tied into the body and the chassis.. its not a real good idea.. the body moves and flexes on the chassis.
it could cause issues down the track.

lovemewrangler 24-06-2009 10:54 AM

thats pipe your using not tube?

is the front section welded onto the grill? or did you make a little plate to bolt to the three existing holes on the grill

will be good to see the finished product, i havent done jack to mine for a while, been too busy..

mine is chassis/body mounted as well, seems alot of yanks do this too... the reason i wanted to do it so much is because i can remove the rock sliders, guards and fron bar all in one piece... i dont want my guards/front bar/slider to be permanantly welded to the car

Mitch_TJ 24-06-2009 03:30 PM

Ian. thats a good point. i didnt think of that. They will most likely be welded or bolted to the front bar as well for extra strength.

Lovemywrangler. Yeh i just bolted it to the grill. Thinking of making them join to my front bar too, just for a bit of extra strength.

lovemewrangler 24-06-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch_TJ (Post 981638)
Ian. thats a good point. i didnt think of that. They will most likely be welded or bolted to the front bar as well for extra strength.

Lovemywrangler. Yeh i just bolted it to the grill. Thinking of making them join to my front bar too, just for a bit of extra strength.

it will be better going straight to you front bar, then its chassis to chassis mounted, you will have to rubber mount the plate to the body, i am going to run a thick rubber bead between the flat guard and body and put rubber spaces where i bolt it onto the guard...

is that gal pipe you are using??