AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Axles's 4.10 ratio or not? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153726)

rayman 28-08-2018 04:32 PM

Axles's 4.10 ratio or not?

I wonder if anyone can share info on diff kits (ring gear & pinion) for 4.10.
I'm running 32 inch wheels, and it seems that 4.10 would be a better option to have, currently on 3.73
I'm new to Jeep KJ, and struggling to understand what specs I should look for?

cmohr 28-08-2018 05:16 PM

Yes , 4.10's are the way to go, with any tyre increase. Also good to think about upraged diffs as well, Lockers are OK, but also don't discount something like a DTT, good self locking Limitted slip diff, great for tracks and excell on beaches.

32's are possibly a little big, lots of rubbing, for not much extra value. I run 31's. with no rubbing, but a lot of lift, and magic.

rayman 28-08-2018 09:00 PM

I found similar thread for re-gearing and what to look for.

Methamon 29-08-2018 07:39 AM

I have 4:10 gearing in the rear with larger tyres great for beach work and towing havnt beefed up the diff

cmohr 29-08-2018 09:12 AM

You can check with Wooders Garage here, to see if he has any.

Other than that, most diff places can get hold of the stuff. I have the Yukon gears in the front D30A 4.11"s and the 8.25 rears in 4.10's, I know it sounds odd the different ratios, but thats what is req.

When you get the gears, you also need a master install kit, all the seals and shimms, bearing ect ect, plus, you also need to get a new set of crown bolts, don't use the old ones again. That's also why I suggest getting new diff centres, after 10 years the older ones are probably on there way out, so cheaper in the long run to do everything whilst it's all apart.

jaffazoom 29-08-2018 01:07 PM

gears

When I was looking at fitting a ford rear diff in my XJ I found It's not unusual to find a miss match of gear ratios even from the factory.
Usually the front will have a slightly higher ratio number than the rear and apparently the mud swamper guys do it so that the front is pulling the back for better steering?

cmohr 29-08-2018 01:31 PM

I have a spare front diff hanging around with 4.11's in it, came from my old 2.5lt CRD, I also have another with 4.11's and a DTT. And a complete rear axle with 4.10's and a DTT.
Hoping to put the the DTT's into my new KJ. but not sure about the ratios. 2006 CRD 6 speed Manual, apparently it has something like 3.55 ratios in there. and I really wouldn't want it any lower?