AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Question Polls (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   TJ Gearbox oil - i want an answer : ) (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84464)

rooshooter 13-03-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 950190)
Mechanical clutz question again ... is Redline oil fine in any gearbox? Don't know what's in my '05 TJ but I'm keen to use only the best of the best.

Tried to buy some at Repco today but they didn't have it. Where do you buy this liquid gold?

Autobarn sells it .. helps if you know someone that works there, get it for cheaper cause its expensive ..

DizzyDi 13-03-2009 12:42 PM

Yikes boys, how much does it cost & how much does a girl need? Rang Autobarn & the bloke sounded like he'd never heard of it ... said they don't carry it.

RenegadeDom 17-04-2009 03:29 PM

my gear changes are pretty ordinary atm, second tends to crunch when the jeep is cold... is the verdict to go with redline gearbox oil? is there a specific type?

rooshooter 17-04-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 950504)
Yikes boys, how much does it cost & how much does a girl need? Rang Autobarn & the bloke sounded like he'd never heard of it ... said they don't carry it.

I know for a fact autobarn sells it i have a mate that works at macgregor autobarn and i have been in there and was going to buy it from there, you need to talk to someone who is not a 17 year old knob that doesnt know what a car is but for some reason works at an automotive place ...

DizzyDi 17-04-2009 07:34 PM

Cheers Roo, I'll try again ... pimply faced 17yo knobs working in auto shops who don't know about cars sums it up very well. I always get a kick out of their expressions when they carry my stuff to the car, priceless!

Because of the last clown I ended up buying Penzoil or whatever it's called but have held off putting it in.

willow 17-04-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeDom (Post 960720)
my gear changes are pretty ordinary atm, second tends to crunch when the jeep is cold... is the verdict to go with redline gearbox oil? is there a specific type?

AX15, 5 speed (96 - 1999?) put MT90 in, or if it's a NV3550, 5 speed (2000 - whenever the 6 speed came out) put MTL.

Think the only difference in the oil is the MTL is slightly thinner for the newer 5 speed. I have MT90 in my NV3550 by accident and runs fine, at $126 for just under 4lt it can stay there a bit longer, I needed 2lt for mine.

Rodgebone 18-04-2009 09:43 PM

my two cents....Redline MTL for the NVs...Redline MT-90 for the AX-15....and Mopar ATF+4 for the AW4 Cheros