AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Jeep Commander (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60993)

optical 26-05-2006 03:34 PM

Jeep Commander

This post is in this section as its more of a XJ topic

Decided to take a look at my local jeep dealer today and sus out the new commander. One of the guys came out and i let him know i was just looking and wasnt buying.

The dude was fairly cool and we just chatted about it and he was saying that Jeep were aiming this towards the old school jeep owners, ie the XJ mob. He reckons they had lost a few fans after the release of the KJ and that jeep was trying to get them back with this latest model - they will be pushing this one fairly hard

Its one of those cars you have to see in the flesh and have a closer inspection on, i think it will grow on me much the same as the XJ & KJ did (and i ended up getting an XJ!!)

The car has a few nifty things from moon roofs, to 7 seats etc and apparently a nicer feel to it with better driving possy compared to the grands etc. Spewing it has IFS tho

Whats everyone elses thoughts on this model ?

Breyten 26-05-2006 04:48 PM

Too much ass.
And those headlights.... first gravel road and you'll get chips, cracks and breakages.

Jack 26-05-2006 08:07 PM

Yeah, rear departure angle is pretty disappointing. The headlight shape gives it a sad, dopey look. Personally I can't see the Commander being a big success as it just looks weird.

The front end could be changed fairly easy on the next upgrade, but that rear bumper will always be its achilles heel off-road.

tonyl 27-05-2006 08:01 AM

yet to have a good look but drove past the dealer yesterday and I'm off to my acountant they look great just hope the taxman will pay for it

salesguy 27-05-2006 09:25 AM

Commander is aimed mainly at those who buy Prados, Pajeros, LandCruisers and Patrols. There's absolutely no doubt that out-of-the-box the Commander will outperform those vehicles off-road and on.
If you're expecting it to go where a TJ does, you'll be disappointed. But if you want to carry more stuff, tow, in comfort, this beastie will leave you with a big smile on your face.
I love it.

FSJ 27-05-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salesguy
I love it.

surprise, surprise!

i saw one pull into the brookvale dealer the other day - a lot of plastic chrome, sharp angles - it kinda turned me off it a bit - then thought to myself that it looks a bit like a big rig for mums - im not sure what message this jeep sends - reminiscent of when i originally liked the kj - now i cant stand it.

Dan96XJ 27-05-2006 11:32 AM

so reckon the commander should have its own section in the forum or part of the cherokee? prolly depends on how many get a commander soon LOL