AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   To rubicon or not? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153108)

bensbs 13-06-2018 04:22 AM

To rubicon or not?

So after returning from some time overseas I'm returning to Australia. I want to do some travelling of my own country instead of abroad. Big on the list are the Cape, Kimberely.

After a lot looking around - Jimny's, Navara's, Amaroks, Cruiser's. I think a Jeep is the best option for me and the mrs. Small enough for Sydney but capable.

I'm looking at 2 door JK's. A very low KM 2016 + model could be had for about 28-29K. Where as the 2013 / 2014 rubicons are about 33-34K. The auto ones are rare as hell.

So the questions is are the dual lockers and stronger axels worth it? Or better to stick with a standard and mod from there

LeighP 13-06-2018 05:49 AM

Personally, I think you'd have to look at the sort of environments you're thinking about....dirt roads and tracks don't need a Rubicon...the destinations you mentioned can be accessed with a Sport or Overland...that $4-5K goes a long way toward fitting a vehicle out for touring....bars, suspension, rack, tyres etc.

bensbs 13-06-2018 07:26 AM

Yeah I'm not into driving hard stuff just for the sake of driving hard stuff. Really I need something to get me places. Doesn't mean I don't want it to be capable though.

relwell 13-06-2018 08:00 AM

A Ruby will give you those beefy axles etc, but if not you're planning on really pushing it I would take that extra cash and fit your rig the way you'd like. You can always upgrade shafts later and still have money left over. A "regular" jeep is still capable, especially if you put some skid plates on it'll go most places - so I my $0.02 would be to get a good Sport and have some money for fitting/lifting/armoring, etc. Good luck!

Nanook 13-06-2018 08:11 AM

The heavier axles are good to have but not essential for the type of touring you are going to do.

As the others said, that extra money will totally fit out your Sport with plenty to spare for camping gear.

You'll be very surprised at where a standard Wrangler will take you without lockers.

eksjay 13-06-2018 01:48 PM

I have a 2016 JKU - save the money and do mods as you need them...

If you buy a used 2016 model, make sure the recalls have been sorted - driver and pax airbags...

A JKU could carry more on a long trip for two.

samft 13-06-2018 06:24 PM

I think the big point here is that you're looking at a 2 door.

The Rubi is probably worth it in a 4 door because the extra length may put you in situations where lockers are handy. the extra weight might requite the stronger front diff

the 2door is more agile and lighter, and generally less likely to get in a sticky situation. I think a 2door sport is probably close to as capable as a 4door rubi, is not more capable in some situations

4 door is better on sand dune descents where the length gives it more stability from twisting. other than that the 2door is generally more capable

other thing, which is a big one
I have heard the rubi low range is actually 'too low' for beach driving. Meaning most Rubi drivers favour high range on sand

I am in Perth so there is mostly sand, and Low range in a sport auto is pretty good!

Also, FYI I don't think the Rubi lockers work in high range (?)
After market lockers (if you ever fit them will work whenever you want)